Who will sucseed U2 as the biggest band in the world? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 01:19 AM
Who will sucseed U2 as the biggest band in the world?

We all know U2 are the biggest band in the world and have been since 84' but who do you think will sucseed them eventually? My opionon would be COLDPLAY. They have an album due out in the summer 05' there 3rd which will make them nearly in line with U2 and when they release there 4th maybe in 2007 i think they then could become the new biggest act in the world. But having said said if U2 release another corker in 2007 well maybe not!

What bands do you think might become biggest act in the world one day?

Old 11-26-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
War Child

U2 will probably be the last band to have worldwide acclaim AND artistic credibility. all the big acts today, for me, do not qualify as quality music - britney, christina, beyonce, and other manufactured pop.

Coldplay is decent, but i feel that the more acclaim they receive, the more watered down their music gets. the first album was really good, but the second suffered from too much exposure and the songs lost some spark for me. i mean, i hear that stupid song "Clocks" in every department store and supermarket now.

and not to get off topic but Snow Patrol? i really don't get why U2 hypes this band so much. i think it is because they are one the same label, and want to give them a sales push. but i've listened to "Run" and "Chocolate" from the Final Straw and, to me, it is basically wimpy, faux-epic indie rock with corny lyrics. it all seems so contrived and emotionally vacant.

so there is a big difference between who WILL become the biggest band and who SHOULD become the biggest.

Old 11-26-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
War Child

I'd probably put my money on Coldplay too.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:40 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Coldplay, yes. Their albums are amazing, and if the 3rd one is anything like the first two...
Old 11-26-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 09:19 AM
U2 is the last of the superbands. After that superbands will be extinct. Coldplay are nothing but cheap cardboard cutouts who belong in the same league as Third Eye Blind, Maroon 5, and Matchbox 20.

Cheers,

J
Old 11-26-2004, 09:48 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 06:19 AM
I'm keeping my eye on Coldplay.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:54 AM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Coldplay, if anyone. And what is wrong with Snow Patrol?
"My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music" -- Bono
The continuous search for purpose...
Old 11-26-2004, 09:56 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 12:19 PM
How big are Coldplay in the states?
ATB-LEE-U2COVENTRYENGLANDUK
Old 11-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:19 AM
U2 is the end of the superbands, Coldplay, Chris Martin would never wear leather trousers let alone be anything like Bono in anyway, we need cool, quality music and supurb presence, shit it's over...........
Old 11-26-2004, 10:11 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jick
U2 is the last of the superbands. After that superbands will be extinct. Coldplay are nothing but cheap cardboard cutouts who belong in the same league as Third Eye Blind, Maroon 5, and Matchbox 20.

Cheers,

J
except i hold coldplay in a little higher regard than that, but U2 is indeed the last of the superbands.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:14 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:19 PM
the void left by U2 when they gracefully leave the building will be so massive that no one could ever hope to fill their shoes. it's rare for a band to manage three or four excellent (or even good, unfortunately) releases these days, much less project excellence over a 25-year span.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:15 AM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Coldplay are nothing but cheap cardboard cutouts who belong in the same league as Third Eye Blind, Maroon 5, and Matchbox 20.

Cheers,

J
I couldn't disagree more. Coldplay are one of few decent bands/artists left today.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:22 AM   #13
Acrobat

coldplay are good,so are many bands, but none of them will ever be as great as U2, industries don't like superbands anymore anyway. I believe U2 are the last supergroup and i feel very proud about it!
Old 11-26-2004, 10:23 AM   #14
The Fly

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Coldplay to follow-up u2 on the international stage...it's hard to believe at this point; but there is no question that they are damn good
Old 11-26-2004, 10:31 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:19 PM
Coldplay is great and all, but not nearly as great as U2 were, even after U2's second album. If Coldplays third album (still can't wait for it though ) is anywhere as big as WAR, then I might reconsider. I thinkt he band that will take U2's throne though probably hasn't really gotten started yet, or is just getting there.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:16 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'd say Switchfoot might have a chance. Their new album I don't think is nearly as good as A New Way To Be Human, but they have plenty of room to grow, and they've got a unique style of pop with distortion, among other things.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:21 AM   #17
War Child

Quote:

Cheers,

J
Jick,

There you go again dissing a great band like Match Box 20. I was hoping U2 would handover their instrumuent to MB20 like the Police did with them. On a serious note I agree there will never be a superband the likes of U2 ever again...it's all over thank you thank you thank you.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:29 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

U2 is still competing for the best band in the world title. I'd give them maybe ten years to hand over their instruments to anyone.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:33 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2_Neat
coldplay are good,so are many bands, but none of them will ever be as great as U2, industries don't like superbands anymore anyway. I believe U2 are the last supergroup and i feel very proud about it!

I agree. The record companies don't have the same loyalty to bands that they used to. They no longer take the time to develop and support artists, giving them time to become superbands. So, it's no big surprise that what passes for music these days are one hit wonders and bandwagon jumpers who just copy whatever is "cool" at the moment.

Having said that, I do think that Coldplay are poised to become one of THE great bands. I hope Chris Martin hasn't gone all soft and cheesy after marrying Gwenyth.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:39 AM   #20
Refugee

Muse are good, also. They have 3 "masterpieces" already... (of 3 albums)