who rocks more dave matthews band or u2!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is maybe one or even 2 songs that I enjoy from dave mathews band and there is about 350 songs I enjoy from U2 so umm let me see thats a tough one LOL dang why such a tough question?? arghhh i can't think help me out ummm enni miny moe okey its U2!

On a side note:
DMB dumped their human wastes on a river and being in an Environmental Protection Technology course and will soon be an EPT technologist I have to strongly disagree with what they did and whats worst that human waste landed on a tourist boat which is pretty disgusting and now every time i think DMB i think CRAP all over the place!

And because they mix up a bad setlist that means we have to like them...? (plus, there is a reason why no one knows them outside the U.S.)

U2 can't be compared with starter bands that only been around for less then a decade. You just can't compare DMB with U2 its a difference like night and day! for one U2 has tons of experience! second, U2 has a much better ability to write and compose great songs that can stand the test of time like sunday bloody sunday and pride i mean do you honestly people will remember DMB's songs in 20 years from now? the only bands/ artists U2 can be truly compared to are:

The beatles,

Led Zeplin

Pink Floyd

Micheal Jackson (yes you guys will probably hate me for this but you cant deny that in the 80's MJ's music was amazing and it will be remembered for many years despite how weired he has become)

Metalica

REM

Radiohead

Nirvana ( well sortoff they have made some music which i am sure are classics)

and there are other bands but you CANT compare them to DMB i am sorry but U2 can swallow DMB whole anytime!

U2@NYC said:
And because they mix up a bad setlist that means we have to like them...? (plus, there is a reason why no one knows them outside the U.S.)

So what if they mix it up, all their songs sound alike and suck anyway :tsk:

Comparing DMB to U2 is like comparing an apple to an orange. IT is just not the same thing.

DMB are talented musicians and nothing more. Their songs are not good because they are bunch of jiberish. U2, on the other hand, make real songs.

It's very unbecoming of a fan forum to call another popular band a *shit band* and this a *shit thread*, I'm not a huge DMB fan but I've lurked at one of their sites to pull guitar tabs and I can tell you when they talk about U2 over there the comments are usually favorable. Believe it or not, they aren't all stoners. Many are musicians who would probably tell you it's a lot easier to cop an Edge lick than a Dave Matthews one on the guitar.

That said, I don't think that there's any question that U2 *rocks* harder than DMB (unless you think acoustic based music rocks more) but that's an entirely different question from a "which band is better/more popular" and is really an apples/oranges type of question. DMB probably does have more accomplished musicians but I think Dave and Boyd are somewhat overrated (Boyd's a ham). There is not a better drummer out there than Beuford though.

Bottom line is both bands have two things in common, Lillywhite produced albums and a following that was built by busting their asses on the road for years.

Don't feel bad there are people here who call themselves U2 fans who also bash U2 and call some of their albums crap :grumpy:

I have to call it as it is when I find it unbearable to listen to, like I do DMB. Okay okay they are 'talented' but I can't stand anything they do, or his voice. That they have in common with Coldplay, a singer whose voice I find intolerable:|

I actually like Chris Martin's falsetto but can certainly understand why Dave Matthews "going thru puberty" voice doesn't agree with alot of folks.

You'd never know this by listening to DMB on the radio, but Dave can write some good lyrics, it's the embarrassingly bad ones everyone hears.

Some U2 fans call HTDAAB a very rockin' record (comparable to Achtung - snickers), so to be honest, I expect some U2 fans to think U2 is more rockin' through bias, weird definiton of rock, and blind love without listening to the full DMB catalog...

Oh yeah, DMB is a great rhythm guitarist... Makes some catchy rhythms...

I mean can anyone actually say U2 rocks more than DMB without having listened to all of DMB's stuff? Nope...

Flying FuManchu said:
Some U2 fans call HTDAAB a very rockin' record

For U2, it actually is rocking above average (2 songs per album after they developed the songwriting craft with JT, AB is an exception to the rule) - Vertigo, All because of you, Love and peace and also Crumbs IMO, even if it's slower. That's 4 rockers.

Anirban said:
dmb is a colllection of very talented musicians who don't know how to write music as a band. if you listen to their songs, you can see how they are divided into sections ... dave showing off guitar, then saxophone solo, then violin solo, etc. the mark of a truly great band is one that realizes that songs written by a "band," where everyone contributes to the whole sound, have a certain synergy, not just a sum of all the parts. which is why i think that the members of dmb will be remembered as great musicians, but their reputation as a band and their songs will not have lasting power.

LOL... talk about a complete and inaccurate generalization of their music... LOL... yo u must be going by their live shows which of course present the songs in a "jam band" type of environment leading to improvisation and sectioning of music... the studio stuff is more condensed and straight forward...

The U2/ punk model of what a band is NOT the best model or the worst... its one of many models...

the mark of a truly great band is one that realizes that songs written by a "band," where everyone contributes to the whole sound, have a certain synergy, not just a sum of all the parts.

Uh, what does that mean?

Last edited:
U2girl said:

For U2, it actually is rocking above average (2 songs per album after they developed the songwriting craft with JT, AB is an exception to the rule) - Vertigo, All because of you, Love and peace and also Crumbs IMO, even if it's slower. That's 4 rockers.

So are you saying that U2 don't rock much and DMB might actually win out on the title of most rockin'?

I didn't say anything about DMB because I don't know their music.
I was talking about U2's albums.

DMB rock if you're as high as they are because you then don't realize that the singer is unintelligible and the solos go nowhere. jam bands, bleh.

Now U2...
They have some cuts straight off the CD that rock, but anyone who's seen them live and doesn't think they blow the roof off the place is either a) Helen Keller or b) just plain certifiable.

man i just can't believe we're comparing DMB to U2....we might as well be comparing U2 to the Backstreet Boys or something else hilariously bad

Hey, Dave went to High School in my hometown. He's apparently not a great guy. But I still like their music very much. (Never been high in my life)

Prefer U2 vastly, though.

geez you guys are brutal....

DMB is a great band in my opinion.

Crush, Two Step, Satellite, Grace is Gone, and many more great songs.

U2 rocks harder though, DMB were never really meant to "rock."

It's not that DMB is unlistenable.

It's that I'd rather not listen to them. Ever.

Back
Top Bottom