whats your favorite number 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Your favorite Track 1

• Boy - I will Follow

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • October - Gloria

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • War - Sunday Bloody Sunday

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Unforgettable Fire - A Sort Of Homecoming

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Joshua Tree - Where The Streets Have No Name

Votes: 51 47.2%
  • Rattle and Hum - Helter Skelter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Achtung Baby - Zoo Station

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Zooropa - Zooropa

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Pop - Discotheque

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • ATYCLB - Beautiful Day

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • HTDAAB - Vertigo

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

digsy

New Yorker
by number 1 I mean Track 1 on any album.

the first track off each album is normally a kicker - almost always very damn cool so i figured that made this a little harder and more interesting.

so whats your's - as i say, all great songs so its tough but mines got to be Streets (my favourtie song EVER!)

vote away people...

oh yeah - i didnt put on Under A Blood Red Sky 'cause its the same as October and I left off the Best Of's 'cause they weren't initally Track 1s so i don't think it counts... :shrug:

Last edited:
Zooropa is my favorite starter but not a better song than some on the list.

yeah - i reckon thats what makes it interesting. some of them are better track 1s than others but not better songs. i voted streets as its my favourtie but i think i've if were to differentiate and vote again id probably vote either zooropa or zoo station...?

my vote on this would change from day to day, because there are some mighty fine songs on that list.

today, i pick 'gloria', even though it's tough to top 'a sort of homecoming'.

I'm amazed that so few people have voted on this thing...

Anyway, I voted for "Discotheque," although I had trouble doing so. I think that "Where The Streets Have No Name," "Zoo Station," and "Zooropa" are all probably superior opening tracks, but I had to give "Discotheque" a few extra points because it didn't just serve as the album's first track...it was the first (insanely different) single and video from its album, too. It opened both a mini-era and an album, and I have to give it props for that. Great stuff anyway, I think...but that stuff puts it over the top for my ass.

Where The Streets Have No Name does it for me. The way it starts up slow and slowly builds up is perfect. It's one of the best intros to an album and to a song. For me anyway :D ...

Aardvark747 said:
Zoo Station. Shows the listener the shape of things to come!

Exactly!! :up:

It's a great opener, talking about being ready for life and not being afraid of starting again. One of Bono's best lyrics and U2's best music. Heavy as beat, heavy ass guitar playing and at the same time very fresh and entertaining! It's just the perfect opener!!! One of my favorite moments from any song ever is that middle part of the song with just the drums, that weird sound and Bono's "All right, all right, it's all right..."! Fucking amazing!!! :bow:

Where the streets have no name, oooooo where the streets have no name..
2nd option is Vertigo, but it's far far far far away from
WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME

Where The Streets Have No Name is the best song ever written! (IMO) To me it doesn't matter which way you look at it: best song or best opener, it's still head and shoulders above the rest!:yes:

I have never been a big fan of the album version of Where The Streets Have No Name. Now, that song live is unbeatable, but the album leaves something to be desired for me.

Zoo Station is without a doubt my favorite as a first track. It sets up for the entire album beautifully.

Painful poll this is because prior to the release of the bomb my top 5 songs were:

1. gloria
2. streets
3. zooropa
4. beautiful day
5. discotheque

As you can see they are all album openers(track 1).

But seeing as Gloria is the greatest, I have no choice but to vote for Gloria.

It's close between Streets and Zoo Station..
But in the end I go wit Zoo Station..
I still remember the first time I heard it. It totaly blew me away..
It was pure magic. You knew after that first song that Achtung Baby was going to be something spectacular.

A Sort Of Homecoming. They've never again had an opener that contained in itself a full album.
They could have release an album with ASOH on it only and it still would have been one of their best works :wink:

(OK, Streets are Homecoming's younger sister and also deserve a vote - but I guessed they will have enough votes already. ASOH needed this one ;))

Aardvark747 said:
Zoo Station. Shows the listener the shape of things to come!

If you allow me, i would say that it shows the listener how shapeless are the things to come.
Listening to this song for the first time in 91 was surely one of the most exciting musical feelings I had... ten seconds of it and the "everything you know is wrong" statement made all the sense.

bedouin fire said:

If you allow me, i would say that it shows the listener how shapeless are the things to come.
Listening to this song for the first time in 91 was surely one of the most exciting musical feelings I had... ten seconds of it and the "everything you know is wrong" statement made all the sense.

:up:

I voted Zoo Station but its verrrrrrrrrrry close between that and Discotheque and Where the streets have no shame.

This a tough one! Of the 11 choices:
6 were released as singles world wide (IWF, Gloria, Streets, Discotheque, BD, Vertigo)
1 was released as a single in certain parts of the world (SBS)
2 were released as promo singles (ASOH, Zooropa)
2 were not released at all (HS, ZS)

So all in all 9 of the 11 were considered for single release and Zoo Station was an outstanding herald. Helter Skelter is the weakest choice by far.

Streets was my choice because not only did it build anticipation for the rest of the album, it's also grown to epic proportions in concerts. I recently listened to JT on a hike in Red Rocks National Park and this song was a great start to that trek. (Love my iPod btw :D)

Once this poll dies down, Digsy should ask what the best closer is in poll. Then we can choose #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10 and #11 for most of the albums. I would probably condense Rattle & Hum to the following songs, my criteria is to remove any song that has showed up previously on other releases. I kept live tracks that were new to the U2 catalog.

1. Helter Skelter (Live) (3:07)
2. Van Diemen's Land (3:05)
3. Desire (2:59)
4. Hawkmoon 269 (6:22)
5. All Along the Watchtower (Live) (4:24)
6. Angel of Harlem (3:49)
7. Love Rescue Me (6:24)
8. When Love Comes to Town (4:15)
19. Heartland (5:03)
10. God Part II (3:15)
11. All I Want is You (6:30)

Left off:
Silver and Gold (Live) (5:49)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Live) (5:53)
Freedom for My People [Non U2] (0:38)
Pride (In the Name of Love) (Live) (4:27)
The Star Spangled Banner [Non U2] (0:43)
Bullet the Blue Sky (Live) (5:36)

I picked Zoo Station because it is the perfect opening song to usher in the "new" U2 of the nineties. I remember buying that CD and being amazed how good the album was right off of the bat; even though it didn't sound like the R&H U2 from a few years earlier.

Back
Top Bottom