What makes you a dork for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NameOfLove19

The Fly
Yeah, we all listen to their music, buy their albums, etc. etc. But what silly, stupid, far-out, crazy, extreme, laughable, or just plain dorky things have you done for you and your love of U2? C'mon, everyone, 'fess up!

Here's my list:
1. I wrote a story for school and named every character after U2: Clay Mullen, David Mullen, Mrs. Mullen (she didn't have a first name!), Adam Evans, and Paul Evans. (Plus Hewson's Store.) People came close to guessing that they were the names of the band members, but I don't think they ever did....
2. I dressed up as Edge for Halloween this past year. Not only that, but I spent hours bedazzling a pair of pants, finding a black T-shirt (and buying it), and painting that.
3. I always, always, ALWAYS roll down my windows and sing along when I hear U2 on the radio. Even when I'm going 65 miles an hour. Or it's raining. Or both. :rolleyes:
4. My friend (a similarly dorky fan) wants to make a documentary on me becoming rabid as the album drop approaches. Then she'd film me in my quest for concert tickets!
5. I have successfully gotten U2 music to infiltrate my church. We've sung 40 and ISHFWILF, and I'm planning on more!
6. Not only that, but I've given a mini-sermon on U2 in church- in front of 700-some people.
7. All of my family and good friends make fun of me for being so obsessed with U2. They've even prescribed "cures" for me (ie, hitting me over the head with a large object).
8. I ran out one night to buy a U2 album just because I heard a song from it on the radio.
9. To buy said album, I had to go to 2 different stores.....and it was 10:30 at night. :D
10. I write U2 fanfic.....and face it, anyone who writes fanfic is a dork. :wink:

So, what makes you a U2 dork?

Last edited:
Woohoo, I was looking forward to this thread!

NameOfLove19 said:

1. I wrote a story for school and named every character after U2: Clay Mullen, David Mullen, Mrs. Mullen (she didn't have a first name!), Adam Evans, and Paul Evans. (Plus Hewson's Store.) People came close to guessing that they were the names of the band members, but I don't think they ever did....

I've done that SO MANY TIMES. Before I quit Drama, my characters almost always were named after members of U2, when I'm writing and stuck for a name I throw in U2, and I'm known for making very subtle U2 references. Here's an example from a poem I'm working on ... actually, I don't have it on me. LiveJournal's not loading right now so I can't access the copy I posted on my writing journal. Grr.

4. My friend (a similarly dorky fan) wants to make a documentary on me becoming rabid as the album drop approaches. Then she'd film me in my quest for concert tickets!

I've had similar things said to me. I think if U2 play 11 O'clock Tick Tock at a concert I go to, footage of my reaction would be too much for your average person to handle.

7. All of my family and good friends make fun of me for being so obsessed with U2. They've even prescribed "cures" for me (ie, hitting me over the head with a large object).

That happens to me regularly. I've often been threatened with physical harm if I don't shut up about U2.

Let's see. What stuff do I do?
- I always throw U2 puns into my conversation, even if no-one notices.
- I truly am going to buy a gold suit.
- This morning I went to get some new glasses, and was going to get some Bonoesque shades. Unfortunately, I can't get them with my prescription ... but I'm thinking of wearing prescriptionless glasses sometimes just so I can wear glasses like Bono's!
- I quote Bono in debates and school essays. In one debate, my whole speech revolved around the message and meaning of ZooTV, and another focused on a verse from HMTMKMKM: "They want you to be Jesus/They'll go down on one knee/But they'll want their money back/If you're alive at thirty-three."
- I'm known to randomly jump up and start pretending to be Bono, and dance around my room singing wildly to songs.
- I compulsively download anything and everything U2 that I come across. Even though I have no use for them, I compulsively screenshot every U2 DVD I watch.
- I keep trying to get my school's worship band to play a U2 song. Apparently they practiced Sunday Bloody Sunday. I'm holding out for UTEOTW.

Hmm ... I think I'll leave it there. I know there's more.

NameOfLove19 said:
8. I ran out one night to buy a U2 album just because I heard a song from it on the radio.

thats so cool!

Axver said:

I think if U2 play 11 O'clock Tick Tock at a concert I go to, footage of my reaction would be too much for your average person to handle.

man, same here! I WOULD GO NUTS! AIR GUTIAR EXTREME--DURING THE DAMN SONG! RIGHT WHERE I'M STANDING!!!

WOHOO!!!

once, with the help of a friend, I invaded my junior high school's carnival with my guitar and mic and played Desire and a couple other songs before we were caught and had to run back to my house :D

Last edited:
Well, I do have obsessions with U2, but not as exciting as all of yours. Man I wish there were more people like nameoflove and Axver living in my area. I personally only know a few fans, but they are not quite as obsessive as me.:sad:

-Does standing in the middle of the freezer section of a grocery store listening to mysterious ways count? It should.
-Starting a "savings" account that you know will be used for an upcoming tour - that 300 dollars a ticket sounds like a good deal if you can get close enough for a band member to sweat on you/bite you/make gernal 1 second contact with
-Buying an ipod because U2 music sounds better on an ipod - in fact it sounds touched by God/glad to be alive music - ipod excellent
-In said ipod having up to 15 different versions of the same u2 song - not just one song - but a lot of songs - a lot.
- Have every bootleg copy of u2 songs that you can get your hands on - white christmas? -got it.
-Do you own copies of - Mission: Impossible, Reality bites. Batman, and Tomb Raider because of a sight u2 connection? I do.
- Quote random lyrics/quotes from the boys that are not widely known? Yep, do that too.
-Try hard to spread the word/message of u2 to unsuspecting non-believers "oh I don't know how that copy of pop got mixed in with your stuff - why don't you give it a try"

We are all u2 dorks - It could be a whole lot worse

I made a movie (shorrt-film) for my school about Tv and stuff... ZOO TV was the inspiration and some of the same zoo tv phrases apeared on screen... the intro was zoo tv kinda, with different images really fast... and the song for that ewas lady with the spinning head...

I just got a mullet... the BONO Mullet !!!

I'm always trying to find some Bono like eyeglesses... and I got some Pop Mart like, Fly like shades...

I'm trying to find the SOUL boots... whenever I'm on a shoe store, I start to look at the shoes sole

I,m always looking for some devil horns...

I'm on a U2 tribute band... Im the drummer, but I want to sing (we got no one else)

I learn guitar because of the posibillity of U2 maybe coming here and picking me up to play People Get Ready or whatever song they might have sang.

that...

I'm such a dork for U2, that I started my own U2 tribute band a year ago. (been a hardcore fan since 1987)

Being in the tribute as Bono, I have to dye my hair and I often wear it like his (Elevation tour era) even when we're not playing shows. For this, I get crap from my non-U2 fanatic friends saying "I'm a Bonowannabe" (hence my screen name).

I wear my blue Bvlgari shades occasionally when I go out which I also get crap for.

I spent countless hours in craft stores and fabric stores to find the materials to sew on to my black leather (self made) Elevation Tour jacket. (you try explaining to the little old lady at the fabric store what you need and why you need it-What's a U2? U2 who? Why do you want to do that to a perfectly good leather jacket?, etc....)

Spent hundreds of hours on E-bay for misc. items to help make my wardrobe more authentic such as "the fly" glasses for which I payed $80 more than they were bought new.

Spent thousands of hours (it seems) researching just about every other U2 tribute band on the planet that has a website to see just how high the bar is for us to rise above.

Get crap for leaving U2 CD's in the car stereo constantly "is that all you listen too?" Uh, yeah...

You get the picture.

Why are we persecuted???? Why I tell you, why????!!!!!

Ok let's see:

- Waiting for 1/2 hr for the Bus with the U2 adverts to show up!!

- lame U2 puns even by mum or everyone totally quiet during a U2 (or Clash) song on the radio are just a given!

- The other day i was in a store and the best of 1980s was on. Other than singing along a bit louder than usual, I almost ended up asking one of the sales people, who was a u2 fan?lol

- Have you ever dated things based on the year a U2 album came out? '87 oh yeah "yr of the Joshua Tree"..... errmm... neither did I!

- Coming on here when you should actually be studying for Uni finals should also count!!

First U2 show I was ever at, I actually shed a tear when they played WOWY. it wasn't the fact that the song was so moving or anything, but rather the realization of what i was experiencing - seeing my favorite musicians, playing one of their classics, with 20,000 other U2 dorks with me - I am a loser. lol

-I name my Sims characters Hewson, Evans, etc
-I buy U2 on vinyl, despite not having a record player (my dad just laughs at me)
-2 of the 4 walls in my room are plastered with U2 pictures
-I made the paper dolls from atu2's achtoon baby
-I'm tempted to buy the Bono-esque sunglasses I saw at Petro-Canada
-Checking when our new arena is to be built to be sure it's done before the new tour starts (it's supposed to be done in November, so I've concluded that U2 are coming here for certain)

Wow this thread makes me feel at home.

-my first U2 concert, I was screaming like a banshee when Bono hit the stage and my friend hit me lightly and said calm down U2 will be playing for the next two hours.
-I scrouge ebay constantly looking for good deals and stuff I don't have
-I refer to U2 in everyday conversation which confuses my roommates
-I have recurring dreams about U2 which tend to freak me out
-Drove 12 hours one night on a spur of the moment to go to a U2 concert
-Bono B. Jones said "get crap for leaving U2 CD's in the car stereo constantly "is that all you listen too?" Uh, yeah..." Yes that happens to me all the time
-save and compile every good quote along with pictures on my computer I can find
-my wallpaper and screensaver are both U2 related
-My future dog will be named Hewson and I have even thought if I have children to somehow incorporated the boys name into them

Well I am officially a dork and proud of it:laugh: :laugh:

In Art class in high school, we had to make four different caligrophy displays accompanied by an image, so I took four different sections of lyrics and painted sollihettes of each individual band member by what lyric I thought suited them best.

I've had various U2 dreams over the years which were freaky because they somehow turned ou to be true in one fashion or the other (A Johnny Cash and U2 duet dream, Bono and Sinatra, and a recent dream about the new album)

I've gotten to the point now that I dress up like Bono and I don't even realize it. Whether it's a pair of colored shades or some v-neck t-shirt, dress shirt combination or the infamous army cap (I've even gotten told I look like Bono a few times wearing certain outfits) it's just second nature to me now.

My wife will point it out to me tongue planted firmly in cheek, "Wow, so you're wearing the army cap backwards with the suit jacket even though we're just going up to the super market? OK, Bono, should I bring the Jag around front?" I guess I found my Ali.

Home Sweet Home....

To those who have managed to get U2 songs played at their church rock on! That's actually my next venture. :)

I have U2 spelled out on my bedroom door with faux U2 "backstage" passes handed out by Tower Records in 2000 for the midnight release of ATYCLB...

I buy anything that is remotely U2 related. Like I have Irish whiskey, Guinness and Bailey's at home even though I don't drink....(except may be the Bailey's)....

When I used to write articles for my school newspaper I would either: a) quote Bono, b) use song lyrics as part of my story, c) use song titles within my story...

I have a ton of versions of the same song over and over on my computer, when people bitch at me I just tell them that they're crazy for thinking they're the same...They're NOT!

I only have U2 CDs in my car...

I use U2 puns and Bono quotes in everyday conversation...

I went out and re-purchased the Bible boxset because Bono wrote the introduction to Psalms, even though I already own the Bible...

I only date men who own certain records, by certain artists and U2 is the only band that they must own multiple records of....(yes people-U2 are even in my dating standards). My friends say I'm :coocoo:

Even though I'm single, I have already planned my wedding day and U2 is a big part of it. I plan on using their music for my wedding ceremony and have their lyrics incorporated into my vows...

When I was in high school, I got the principal Sister Nancy, to play Pride and MLK in honor of Black History Month.

For my college speech class, I did a 5 minute presentation on Bono and did not ever talk about the music which impressed my classmates.

I wrote a poem using only Achtung Baby lyrics...

I had a white cotton tail rabbit named Bono, who after he died, my mom cut off his tail and kept it for good luck. She refers to him now as "her lucky Bono".

When they aired a special on Zoo TV, I transcribed every thing they said about the tour's equipment :help:

I have a U2 scrap book that I started when I was 7, I'm now 23.
:yes:

Last edited:
I created a computer football (soccer) team with Bono as the star striker, Edge as a winger, Adam as the cool calm holder in the heart of defence and Larry as the keeper. I had to find some way of connecting the two wonders of U2 and football... :reject:

I also seem to be the only real U2 fan within a hundred miles and constantly get grief at school and from my friends and family for my fanatical love of them....

- If I don't mention U2 in a LiveJournal entry, I must be sick.
- I am constantly being told to listen to non-U2 music. I never get around to it.
- I was once challenged to go a week without U2. I nearly died by the end and I couldn't possibly do it now.
- I once compiled a playlist on Winamp of all the songs I have. Approximately 3500 of the 3800 were U2. That was back in January too. Ah, the wonders of MP3 bootlegs I'm now trying to replace.
- I always relate stuff to U2. People will mention "So-and-so just went platinum." I'll ask them how long to compare it to how quickly U2 albums have gone platinum. When people ask what year I was born in, I answer with "the year of The Joshua Tree."
- I associate dates with U2. I don't want to go to my school formal on 31 July, so I'm going to stay home and celebrate the seventh anniversary of Popmart Mannheim instead.
- I really am going to grow a 'fro and dress up as October-era Adam when U2 come to Australia next.
- I tend to know of artists because of U2 connections. How do you think I got interested in Johnny Cash?
- I'm going to frame my copy of Time with Bono on the cover.

I use Bono's birthdate as my voice mail password at work.

I've had dreams about going to U2 concerts and about what the new album will sound like.

The only reason I bought a turntable was so I could play the vinyl U2 singles I found at a garage sale.

NameOfLove19 said:

:yes:. Did something similar for my creative writing class my senior year.

Originally posted by NameOfLove19
2. I dressed up as Edge for Halloween this past year. Not only that, but I spent hours bedazzling a pair of pants, finding a black T-shirt (and buying it), and painting that.

I've dressed up like the Fly and Macphisto for Halloween. This year I'm thinking of maybe trying for the Mirrorball Man.

7. All of my family and good friends make fun of me for being so obsessed with U2.

Yep. As I said before, my dad once told me that he could comment on how cold it was outside and I'd find a way to link it to U2...and I never fail to prove him right. It's downright frightening how much stuff I can connect to that band.

10. I write U2 fanfic.....and face it, anyone who writes fanfic is a dork. :wink:

Hehe, yes.

Originally posted by Axver
- I quote Bono in debates and school essays. In one debate, my whole speech revolved around the message and meaning of ZooTV, and another focused on a verse from HMTMKMKM: "They want you to be Jesus/They'll go down on one knee/But they'll want their money back/If you're alive at thirty-three."

:yes:. Did the same thing for my informative speech in my speech class (which, surprise, surprise, was on the AIDS crisis in Africa. I even played a clip from the "Diary" episode (the speech had to involve a visual aid)). And I mentioned Bono in a book report I gave in my World Literature class (the book was one of Irish poems). Geez, even my sister has used U2 in a couple of school reports...

Originally posted by Axver
- I tend to know of artists because of U2 connections. How do you think I got interested in Johnny Cash?

Ohhhh, yeah. That's one reason why I got into the Alarm, 'cause of the big U2 comparison (the other being that the band does have some seriously cool songs).

Originally posted by bayernfc
- Have you ever dated things based on the year a U2 album came out? '87 oh yeah "yr of the Joshua Tree"

:shifty:...yes.

Let's see, here, my list includes...

-Asking the school librarian if, after the "Christianity Today" magazine that had the Bono article in it earlier this year stopped needing to be used in the school, I could take the magazine home. She says they keep magazines around for 5 years, so perhaps when 5 years is up, I'll be paying my school library a visit. :p.
-Writing a letter to "People" magazine demanding to know why Bono had not been put in their list of the most intriguing people of 2002 after all he'd been doing for Africa that year and stuff (and it actually got published, which surprised me)
-Finishing out a U2 song I'd been singing along to on the bus as I'm getting off of said bus and heading to my destination
-This one's from yesterday: my dad and I were heading out for dinner, and the announcer on the radio station we were listening to said that U2 would be coming up soon, and so instead of heading to the restaurant, my dad drove around town so I could hear the song (which turned out to be "Mysterious Ways"), and then after that, we went to the restaurant
-Speaking of "Mysterious Ways", I requested that song for my senior prom (they didn't wind up playing it, though...:mad:...)
-Having folders entirely dedicated to U2-related articles, pictures, what have you
-Writing "U2" on the front of folders and notebooks
-Putting my favorite U2 lyrics on the inside and back covers of notebooks
-Trying to spell out "U2" on a shirt I was tie-dyeing during senior activity day
-Saving all my favorite U2 fanfiction stories on disks
-Requesting "Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)" from about a day or two after Thanksgiving all the way up to Christmas Eve

...yeah, anyone else think I need help? A 12-step program or something? :|...

Angela

Bono B. Jones said:

Why are we persecuted???? Why I tell you, why????!!!!!

yes! why are we persecuted for being die-hard U2 fans?!

we're probably the chosen ones, just like the jews

just thinking about the next u2 concert, while listening to u2 bootlegs, i get so exited. i almost cried today while listening to Bad from the elevation Salt Lake City boot (Nov. 9, 2001). if i get to see the band on tour in 2005, i will EXPLODE!! 2 HOURS IS NOT ENOUGH! GIVE ME 5!!!

discothequeLP said:

yes! why are we persecuted for being die-hard U2 fans?!

we're probably the chosen ones, just like the jews

Then my wife's really lucky because she's Jewish and a U2 fan!

Back
Top Bottom