What if U2 played current material twice in a show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wannabe

War Child
Most of you probably know the history of U2 playing the same song more than once in a concert better than I do. The only examples I can come up with are back in the early eighties when the would play Electric Co. or The Ocean twice in a show. I heard most of the time they were trying to lengthen their performance.

U2 has come so far from those days. If they wanted to, they could play til they dropped and still hold people in a venue. But let's say they did double a song, or two, or three. Which song(s) would they play more than once? Can you imagine hearing Wake Up Dead Man twice in a concert?

I would think with the setlists they had with this past tour, they could play Beautiful Day or Elevation twice.

I'm telling you, anytime I ever went to see them I always thought, "I want to hear it again!!!!!"

On this tour, when they played "Out of Control" I was dying to hear it again!!!!! Also "Bad", I used to get so sad when the songs ended
frown.gif

I NEED to see them again!!! Just watching the super bowl performance made me all desperado to see them.

------------------
Work like you don't need to
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one is watching

they sometimes do play segments of a song twice split by another song, like two shots of happy with Stay in the middle. Its often a significant time period apart, but not more than one song i guess.

------------------
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...

Actually it was 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and The Ocean that they would often play at the beginning and end of the show during the Boy tour. They also played I Will Follow twice at a few shows during this time frame. I believe they also did I Will Follow twice at a couple of the 1st leg War tour shows as well.

I'am unaware of a show where Electric Co was played twice.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 02-06-2002).]

Originally posted by Blue Room:
Actually it was 11 O'Clock Tick Tock

Ahh, you are right!! I was contemplating when I first typed Electric Co. "Is that right? I really thought it was 11 O'Clock." Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Having never been to any of those early shows, the only time I've ever seen them do a song twice was the MSG show back in '87. They did ISHFWILF during the main set as normal, then again in the encore with the New Voices of Freedom (on the R&H album).

Today, it wouldn't break my heart if they just played All I Want Is You in every show, nevermind twice in one.

I just got the Denver 4/6 show (from a generous Interferencer) and though I attended that show, I hadn't remembered that they played part of "40" twice. I wondered if Bono even remembered he'd already done it or if the shows were starting to blend into one.

On a bootleg I have, right at the end for some reason it goes back and plays Elevation and BD again and it took me a while to even notice.
It sounds good, like a little encore at the end!

i know back then they used to play songs twice, usually the second song was for an encore. i remember reading somewhere it was cuz they were surprised by people wanting an encore that they played the same song twice since they'd already played everything, or that it was common in europe to play the same song twice in a set.
it could be one or the other, or both...i forget.
wink.gif

------------------
you bury your treasure where it can't be found, but your love is like a secret that's been passed around...
ME!

I think that would strike people as extremely weird. It's the kind of things bands do when they're young and don't have a lot of material. It's fine then, it could even lend a nice feeling of continuity and roundedness (is that a word??) to a concert but for a band that's been around as long as U2...

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind if they opened and closed with 11 O'Clock Tick Tock!!

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

U2 have so many songs that they?ve never played live, so I?d propably kick their arse and tell them to play songs like Acrobat or Heartland instead

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

It's that I don't like plenty of U2 tunes enough to hear twice, can't say I'd want to have them play a song twice at a gig. That's what my stereo's for. It's like AM said- they have waaaaaaaaaaay too many songs that don't get played much live. I say play the Unforgettable Fire!!

Scatteroflight is correct. I have read an interview with Bono where he indicated they opened and closed the show with the same songs in the early days because they did not have enough of their own material. Obviously that is not the case any longer.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 02-07-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom