What BOMB songs will be played on the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nisse said:
I don't think COBL will be played

At least, I don't think COBL will necessarily be a staple. Just because they opened (practically?) every show with it, doesn't mean anything. They opened every ZooTV show (as far as I know - I'm going by the video and U2 At the End of the World) with Zoo Station, and it vanished off the radar until this tour, and isn't a staple now.

Vertigo for sure. SYCMIOYO I could guess might be semi-regular; Kite is an emotional song after all, and it's featured heavily in this tour.

I would LOVE to see LAPOE take a place among the live staples, but sadly I don't think this will be the case.

Never saw ABOY live... would like to, so hopefully we'll see it in the next tour. :)

All that being said, I have no clue. :) Vertigo's the only one I'd be willing to bet money on.

Alisaura said:

At least, I don't think COBL will necessarily be a staple. Just because they opened (practically?) every show with it, doesn't mean anything. They opened every ZooTV show (as far as I know - I'm going by the video and U2 At the End of the World) with Zoo Station, and it vanished off the radar until this tour, and isn't a staple now.

Zoo Station opened all but one ZooTV show, and the one it didn't open was merely a public dress rehearsal. The date was 7 August 1992 and SBS, NYD, and Pride preceded Zoo Station.

COBL by no means opened practically every Vertigo Tour show. Every single one of the 30 or so European gigs last year was opened by Vertigo, as well as one of the fourth leg shows. On the first leg, LAPOE opened nine shows and Vertigo one, and on the third leg, Vertigo opened the first two shows.

Before this tour, there was actually a popular myth that a tour's opener vanished into the blue on subsequent tours. This was based on the non-appearance of Zoo Station and Mofo (despite the fact that openers from the eighties' tours regularly had lengthy careers on later tours). Of course, this has now been disproven not just by Zoo Station's appearance but also by the fact that Elevation, which opened all but one Elevation Tour show, has been played at every Vertigo Tour gig.

I'm still not feeling confident about COBL's future, though. My logic is that Vertigo and one other HTDAAB song will survive, but what the other one song will be is entirely dependent upon the theme of the next album and tour.

Axver said:

I'm still not feeling confident about COBL's future, though. My logic is that Vertigo and one other HTDAAB song will survive, but what the other one song will be is entirely dependent upon the theme of the next album and tour.

me as well, COBL is great live. That and Vertigo would be nice. God, I hope its not "sometimes"...

Axver said:

COBL by no means opened practically every Vertigo Tour show. Every single one of the 30 or so European gigs last year was opened by Vertigo, as well as one of the fourth leg shows. On the first leg, LAPOE opened nine shows and Vertigo one, and on the third leg, Vertigo opened the first two shows.

I stand corrected. :)
I confess I really wasn't paying any attention to the setlist of the Vertigo Tour until they came to Australia :D

Alisaura said:

Kite is an emotional song after all, and it's featured heavily in this tour.

It has been played only a handful of times, and already dropped. I wouldn't consider that "featured heavily". I expect SYCMIOYO above Kite on the next tour anyday! I do prefer Kite though..

I hope Fast Cars makes a comeback.

I was disappointed ABOY got lost from the playlist so early. The guitar rift by The edge is one of his best of all time.

Shame.

I'm alive, I just got born,............I'm back at the place I started out from and I want back inside.

Bono's best line.

was a great line by Bono, probably my favorite of the BOMB. great guitar work by Edge too.

But it never came across that good live to me. I loved the brooklyn bridge version, that kicked ass. On tour it seemed dead.

What about Miracle Drug?????

"Freedom has a scent, like the top of a new born baby's head."

Greatest line ever.

Miracle Drug like ABOY falls off the face of the Earth???

HTDAAB wins Grammy as Album of the year. Then nothing.

Go Figure?

Please Explain.

i don't see how grammys come into play. Miracle Drug was a dud live.

Miracle Drug has fallen off the face of the earth on this tour alone at times, what makes you think it won't on the next tour?

It will never be played again after this tour. Like ABOY, love the song but never thought it was that great live.

When I heard MD on the radio one performance i thought it was pretty good but needed some work...i thought they were going to do something with the song, maybe let EDGE expand that great solo. but nothing special ever came out of it live. at least to me, that is....

There's a rule. It was violated by WGRYWH this tour, but it generally holds true. If U2 dump a song on its debut tour, it is not played live again. Miracle Drug looks set to fall victim to that rule, and rightly so, because it was one of the worst songs I saw live.

Vertigo and COBL without a doubt,i thought Miracle drug worked well live,whereas ABOY needed another guitar and sounded a bit tame, just wish they would have given Crumbs a decent go as it's a favourite of mine on the album,

Crumbs could have really come to life in a live setting. The song just begs to be played loud, and have the outro jammed out just a little bit longer. I also think it's a sin that "Man and a woman" was never played live.

cobl will be played
i think that vertigo won't be played every show(most of them)
but not every

rest we can hope for

thelaj said:
It has been played only a handful of times, and already dropped. I wouldn't consider that "featured heavily". I expect SYCMIOYO above Kite on the next tour anyday! I do prefer Kite though..

Here I go making an idiot of myself again :) I assumed that because it was in most of the Aust/NZ shows (well, a lot of them) that it was the closer for earlier legs of the tour... apparently not.
Sorry!

Alisaura said:

Here I go making an idiot of myself again :) I assumed that because it was in most of the Aust/NZ shows (well, a lot of them) that it was the closer for earlier legs of the tour... apparently not.
Sorry!

Heh, it was actually really exciting for us setlist watchers because Brisbane was the first performance of Kite since 2 December 2001.

As far as earlier legs go, 40 closed almost all of the first leg, Vertigo all but three shows on the second leg (40 closing the remainder), 40 and Bad largely alternated duties on the third leg, and the fourth was a bit of a mishmash but AIWIY was settling in as the closer when the postponement happened. A few other songs closed concerts here and there.

I don't see how COBL is an obvious choice to be played regularly. As the regular concert-opener, I see it more of the Zoo Station or Mofo of the Vertigo tour, thus exclusive to it.

Besides, I've always thought of it as opener or nothing. Vertigo is a terrible opener, and Love And Peace is average at that spot.

So, I'm thinking no COBL next time.

Vertigo and OOTS are my picks.

me thinks Vertigo gets passed along to next tour

I'm up in the air about COBL......

What kinda shocks me is the fact that they dropped so many Bomb songs in this last leg of the Tour.... i wonder if they really where unhappy about how the songs were translated live.

Miracle drug and OOTS flopped big time live.

I thought MD was gonna be a smash too.

vaz02 said:
Miracle drug and OOTS flopped big time live.

I thought MD was gonna be a smash too.

Never saw OOTS live, but I thought MD was fantastic when I was there...a definite highlight. :shrug:

YBORCITYOBL said:
i wonder if they really where unhappy about how the songs were translated live.

Don't believe , coz they played until the last 4th show , around 5-6 songs , I guess it's all part of that we are now living under a new album out , plus this big break they wanted new things and all

Or Like a people say , this leg is much more like 18 singles tour

I despise the latest album, but I wouldn't mind hearing VERTIGO in a live setting. It's a song that sounds better when ure in a loud, crowded situation. Alone, on headphones, in my car, wherever, i find myself too distracted by the cheesiness of it all, and I can't enjoy it. So basically, I'd have to be distracted by something else, whether it be alcohol or other people, or U2 themeselves on stage, to really accept the song, cuz listening to it alone just doesn't work.

As for the other tunes, I guess COBL would be cool to see live. The concert footage i've seen improves greatly upon the limp studio version.

Those are the two songs that will be played next tour, consistently at least.

However, I predict at least 2 or 3 incidences where OOTS, Sometimes, Crumbs, and Fast Cars will be played.

If it were up to me, I'd say throw out the whole damn album, save Fast Cars, Vertigo and COBL. Even tho i loathe the latter two songs, they'd probably sound good live, whereas a song I kinda enjoy, like Crumbs, would just be taking up space and not contributing to the concert energy at all.

OOTS is fantastic live, how did it fail? Even on Vertigo Chicago it's great (much more emotially charged than the grand full string section performances like Milan)

LemonMelon said:
I don't see how COBL is an obvious choice to be played regularly. As the regular concert-opener, I see it more of the Zoo Station or Mofo of the Vertigo tour, thus exclusive to it.

Besides, I've always thought of it as opener or nothing. Vertigo is a terrible opener, and Love And Peace is average at that spot.

So, I'm thinking no COBL next time.

Vertigo and OOTS are my picks.

You see, the difference is that COBL works well in the middle of the set too, as it has been played there a number of times. Zoo Station and Mofo really only work as openers, but COBL is much more flexible. Thus, it actually has absolutely nothing to do with Zoo Station or Mofo. Just because other songs don't work as openers doesn't mean COBL doesn't work outside of the opener spot.

Earnie Shavers said:
You have to think about each songs closest cousins, and their chances of knocking any of them out of the set.
L&P - Bullet, SBS.
Sometimes - One, Stay, Stuck, With or Without You and several others.
Vertigo/ABOY - A dozen songs.

Honestly, I don't think any of them are a patch on their close relatives in quality or public affection and how often they get played live in the future will reflect that. I agree that Vertigo will be the only certainty.
yep, basically why songs from Zooropa and beyond don't get played that much live

(especially live) the older work is stronger

powerhour24 said:
OOTS is fantastic live, how did it fail? Even on Vertigo Chicago it's great (much more emotially charged than the grand full string section performances like Milan)

When I first heard the Milan version I thought it was quite an improvement. This week though, its off my "best of" Vertigo Tour playlist and the Chicago one comes back in its place. There is something quite intimate and magical about the stripped down take. Its more emotional, like you said.

Back
Top Bottom