Vertigo: Good choice for 1st single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEAL

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I love the song. It's really grown on me, but I wonder if it's the best song to lead off the album.

The reason I say this is I don't see it making a big dent in Top 40 radio. Beautiful Day was more contemporary and it peaked at what, 20-26 on the chart?

I can see this song getting played more on the Alt rock stations, and that's about it. I find it hard to hear this song on one of the Kiss FM stations littered throughout the country.

Now, I'm hoping this all be false. I would love to hear U2 on those stations, but look at their last album. Had a big hit with BD, but then the other songs didn't really break out like we hoped.

Anyway, what do you think? So far, I haven't heard the song on the radio...yet.

A very similar situation happened with the releasing of The Fly as the first single off Achtung Baby...fans worried about the single, which was so different, and didn't fall into the JT type of songs, and even then no fan knew what to expect from the songs we hadn't heard yet, and in the end, look at what an excellent album we got...even then, you didn't have a lot of songs with potential to do well on radio. I just wonder how long it is going to be when fans realize that that is not what makes U2 successful and loved by their fans. If this was the case, they wouldn't have many fans left. Just think about Achtung Baby, not even a great song like One became a single hit for them. For U2, it is about the whole album/tour/connecting with their fans in which they find their greatest success, and is the driving force behind which continues to see them making music even 25 years and counting.

im thinking its a good choice because it sounds 'poppy'. after hearing it several times, i think its catchy as hell and thats great to leave an impression like that to listeners for the first single off an upcoming album, no matter who the artist. im really excited about the 2nd, 3rd singles, cus i believe that will be the meat of the album. im hoping theres a song that will be the 'acrobat' or 'exit' of the album- songs that weren't singles but so damn good that you would never imagine the album being complete without them.

spanisheyes said:
For U2, it is about the whole album/tour/connecting with their fans in which they find their greatest success, and is the driving force behind which continues to see them making music even 25 years and counting.

Excellent point, spanisheyes. i dont tend to think of U2's songs as singles, but more about what album they came off of, and usually the song will have a connection to several other songs on that album. I really enjoy how the band has found ways to give an album an identity that separates its contents from any other album, at the same time not completely reinventing themselves in the course of their work. vertigo, as different as it sounds, has just enough elements of classic u2 that we know its them and that theyve remained true to their style. 'vertigo' will probably scream 'atomic bomb' the way 'the fly' screams 'AB' and thats what will make it a good first release.

later, mofo82

While it's true that U2 is an "album" band, it's the singles that drive new people to get the album. It's what catches their ear and want to see what else is there. That being said, Vertigo is the first single for a reason: I think the band is trying to capture the audience who might have felt ATYCLB was too soft. And to acclimate us to what HTDAAB might bring. Every leadoff single from the band has been representative of the album in some way.

The song has a classic guitar tone- riff, catchy, and SHORT. U2 has name brand so to speak and IMO radio will embrace it or play it b/c of these qualities.... the single can sort of be slipped into a playlist b/c of its length... it barely clocks in at 3 minutes. I don't think it will be played on easy-listening stations but then I don't think they were looking to play it on those stations. That's my opinion.

I think it is the perfect lead single. It rocks pretty hard and will get loads of airplay on the rock stations. Plus this type of song is more likely to get more airplay on MTV and hit a younger audience who might look at U2 as old and boring slow music. Vertigo has kick to it and that'll pump up the anticipation for the album. Beautiful day was awesome but it took time to lure you in. Vertigo on the other hand seems to grab ya by the throat and forces you to take notice. The song is a fantastic lead single.

I dont' know. I mean, it's such a straightforward, in your face song, it's like, how could they not release it first?

Personally, I could give a rats ass if it does that well on top 40 charts. They are full of pre manufactured crap anyway.
U2 can still be phenomenally successful without having a huge top 10 hit.

Last edited:
oktobergirl said:
I dont' know. I mean, it's such a straightforward, in your face song, it's like, how could they not release it first?

Personally, I could give a rats ass if it does that well on top 40 charts. They are full of pre manufactured crap anyway.
U2 can still be phenomenally successful without having a huge top 10 hit.

Agreed. And I also agree with what spanisheyes said. When our local "real rock real variety" station premiered the song, they played it THREE TIMES IN A ROW. Unfortunatley, I really haven't heard the song since then on the radio, but then again I've kinda been listening to my mp3 player as opposed to the radio so :p I think it'll do well, maybe not be a chart-topper but it should get some airplay. Actually I kinda expected it to get the snot played out of it, ala Beautiful Day, but we'll see...

:shocked: BEAL is back? Now we must have diamond too to bicker with him! This latest news is not only bringing out the lurkers it's dragging the old timers back! Yay!

To me it has single written all over it. The first thing I thought upon hearing it for the first time is "that was written for the radio." Short, catchy, cute.

I think rock radio stations will play the hell out of it. The adult contemporary stations probably won't, but who cares? They'll probably grab that audience with whatever ballad from the album they release as a single.

U2Kitten said:
:shocked: BEAL is back? Now we must have diamond too to bicker with him! This latest news is not only bringing out the lurkers it's dragging the old timers back! Yay!
Some of us are back under new names for various reasons.

In a previous life, I was known as DoctorGonzo.

I probably didn't stress that I don't feel that radio play is what U2 or what I want U2 about. This post was strickly based on marketing and getting U2's message out.

I understand that U2 is more about the music, and that if a single isn't played, or the album doesn't get a lot of attention, that it isn't a failure.

I will probably love this album no matter how it's received by the public. I've never gone off of popular belief. POP is still one of my favorite LP's (right behind AB).

I was just saying, U2 is about being the biggest band in the world, but you can't be that without being heard.

It's more of a pride thing to hear U2 on the radio. Even if it means they have to share the waves with crap like the Britney's and etc.

The more U2 is heard the better. Yes, the music is the important thing. But it's pretty rare that U2 produces utter crap. Since we know this album is going to be good, if not their best, I want it to show on the charts.

If it doesn't happen, oh well, I won't lose sleep.

Back to the topic, I think Vertigo is popular, and it should be a hit on Rock radio. I just don't know if it will reach the audience that I think a first single should.

Northern Sky said:

Some of us are back under new names for various reasons.

In a previous life, I was known as DoctorGonzo.

Welcome back Gonzo! :wave: And come to think of it, BEAL used to bicker with doctorwho, not diamond.

Hallucination said:
I think it is the perfect lead single. It rocks pretty hard and will get loads of airplay on the rock stations. Plus this type of song is more likely to get more airplay on MTV and hit a younger audience who might look at U2 as old and boring slow music. Vertigo has kick to it and that'll pump up the anticipation for the album. Beautiful day was awesome but it took time to lure you in. Vertigo on the other hand seems to grab ya by the throat and forces you to take notice. The song is a fantastic lead single.

nailed it. perfect choice for the first single.

its loud, short and insanely catchy, pretty perfect for a first single i reckon. obviously that all depends on what else is on the album, but with nothing to compare it to, i can't really find fault with vertigo as a lead off.

my favourite radio station here virgin radio (i used to be into capital till i discovered that virgin replaced capitals britney, westlife and jessica simpson with snow patrol, scissor sisters and keane) played it 3 times in 3 hours on friday and again this mornign on my way to work so they're definitely playing it.
thats really the kind of station its going to do well on and i also agree that its the type of track thats gonna get airplay all over the tv music channels.

so maybe the really commercial radio stations will spin it fewer times than the really cool rock ones but to be honest, if it doesnt top a chart thats filled and dominated by 14 year olds called Jojo or something like that, will i really be that bothered?

Beautiful Day was number 1 in the UK...and in about 25 other countries...Vertigo will have at least the same impact

ah forgot to say...i'm 27...not too old i think...but my girlfriend is 22....she wonders why i'm into u2 sometimes...she likes one or two songs...i played vertigo today...she hadn't heard it before...i didn't know she was in he next room whilst i was playing it...she simply said...great song....almost said with a kind of surprise like, wow u2 managed to make ANOTHER great tune....summed it up to me...Vertigo is going to make u2 impact on a totally new audience once again...good first single? of course...perfect...short, catchy, bit of attitude, won't be like other songs on the album...u2 have done it again...biggest and best rock band on the planet...bar none

Does anybody else think Vertigo is too short? I mean it rocks hard, but it goes by too quickly. I timed it at just over 3 minutes. As a comparison, I Will Follow is 3:36, and Out of Control is over 4 minutes. Those are the songs in the same stream as Vertigo. Beautiful Day is also over 4 minutes. It feels like it's missing a verse before the Bass solo. This bothers me because if it's that short it won't make a huge splash in a countdown or the regular lineup, it'll be like a filler.
Another thing. That Spanish at the beginning and in the Chorus, are they nuts? It sounds cool, but what are they trying to get across? It just doesn't feel like classic U2, it's a gimmick.

So in all, it's a short song filled with Spanish...

If you walk away, walk away, I'll walk away, walk away.....Hola!!... I Will Follow....Conde Esta!!!:|

Back
Top Bottom