Vertigo Chicago vs Vertigo Milan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cg said:

it loses points because bono comes off as a creepy-old-man caressing a young girl as her pants fall off.
No. Maybe he felt sorry for her. But I agree, it is an embarrassing moment for everyone involved. They should not have put that on the DVD. I would have been so embarrassed if I was her.

J_NP said:
I say we begin a petition for u2 to fire Hamilton

:up:

but - I think (and pray and hope) we don't have to do that anymore. The next U2 Movie - finally (Thank god) with no nervous breakdown Hamilton. Instead we'll get Mark Pellington - and I think after this film comes out the Hamilton-Problem is solved. U2, Fans and Critics will finally recognize what overrated and awful director Hamilton really is - and in the future some good people will do the job for U2. I cannot wait to see the Pellington 3D Film.

- the Rolling Stones made a good joice - right now Martin Scorsese is filming them. Hamilton and Scorsese - a "little" disparity :huh:

OMG!!!! I just bought the limited edition cd, book&Milan dvd, watched it lastnight and was absolutely mesmerised by the whole thing :combust:

Sooo amazing&moving, with a fantastic crowd - it is miles better than the Chicago dvd!!!! :yes: :rockon: :applaud:

I actually started crying at the end of All i want is you as it made me feel as if i was back at the Manchester show down in England last year! The way it goes into COBL is just gorgeous&it makes me remember when i saw Bono releasing the balloon!!!! It was a highlight&i remember standing outside for the show the night before ('Cos sadly i didn't have a ticket for both) and seeing the balloon, but i didn't realise 'til the night after, that it was Bono's!!!! That was such a special concert for me! :heart: brought so many great memories back for me! :happy: ah, those were the days!

Well, i loved the girl up on stage for AIWIY! So sweet when he was spinning her around! I didn't dee her pants fall down :ohmy: i don't get what everyone's going on about - i never saw that! :shrug: she seemed over the moon anyway! Good on her, she was completely in awe :love:

European crowds are def best&most enthusiastic but mostly us Scots!!!! :dance:

Last edited:
I absolutely loved Milan, I have had the audio since the week after the show, and loved that... but I love the dvd even more!
Bono's little speech during Elevation, priceless!
To me it looked like the band, especially Bono were really enjoying the crowd reaction... I loved how they sang every word with the band :up: Go Italians!

phillyfan26 said:

Sexy people!
Bono
Bono
Sexy person!

I think that highly of myself as well.

actually Bono means sexy man/person in italian slang :wink: and no, I did not made that up... apparently Bono knows it aswell...

I also liked it that Bono didn't have to read the teleprompter for the italian :wink: sadly he failed the test during Miss Sarajevo...

with or without says it all to me, the london t-shirt, such emotion :sad:

to me, theres only one band that can make me feel this

There should be none of this at a rock 'n' roll concert,
4585_violin.gif

So Chicago wins.

U2 should never ever film indoor shows for dvds !!! The roof contains the band , they need to fly . :yes:

Elevation Milan :drool:

Having seen U2 on multiple continents/ countries, most American crowds @ U2 shoes are SO tame by comparison. You haven't seen a U2 show until you've seen one outside the U.S. The fans are more energetic, they sing louder, they jump higher, they urge the band on more, etc.

And I say this as a proud American!

No comparison, Milano DVD is better (too short though).

Was there any official word how come only 10 songs from Milan? Is it true the cameras weren't working for some of the show?

Watched the DVD in full :up: I still haven't found... may be Hamilton's best work. Love the crowd, the band seem to be in a good mood. Nice looking package, too.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Was there any official word how come only 10 songs from Milan? Is it true the cameras weren't working for some of the show?

Watched the DVD in full :up: I still haven't found... may be Hamilton's best work. Love the crowd, the band seem to be in a good mood. Nice looking package, too.
The camera's weren't working the first night for the first 45 minutes, but it seems that they have it all on tape for the second night. So the only reason why only 10 songs made the cut could be that the band was not fully satisfied with it. There are for certain full performances of SBS, Pride and Streets recorded.

Maybe they wanted to have the new stuff from Europe leg (IWF, Still haven't found..., AIWIY, Miss Sarajevo, full band OOTS) on tape and didn't want to have 3 DVDs from the tour.

(that IMAX movie will have a DVD release too right?)

Now that I think about it, I did read somewhere that the band and W. Williams weren't satisfied with the footage.

U2girl said:
Maybe they wanted to have the new stuff from Europe leg (IWF, Still haven't found..., AIWIY, Miss Sarajevo, full band OOTS) on tape and didn't want to have 3 DVDs from the tour.

(that IMAX movie will have a DVD release too right?)

Now that I think about it, I did read somewhere that the band and W. Williams weren't satisfied with the footage.
Which I don't understand, the footage we've allready seen from 15 or 16 different songs was absolutely great. But I think we'll never understand :(

OpperGoeroe said:

Which I don't understand, the footage we've allready seen from 15 or 16 different songs was absolutely great. But I think we'll never understand :(

I do. The 3D Movie will also come out on DVD - that`s for sure. 3 FULL DVDs from the tour - that would be a little bit too much. They want the people to come to the 3D Movie - so this is just a little appetizer.

After seeing the concerts from Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires I am sure the 3D Movie will be much, much better than the stuff we can see from Milan. And also: Mark Pellinton is a great director - Hamilton not.
The Crowd in South America is just amazing.. With or without you from Buenos Aires is - I think - miles better than the version from Milan.

I'm putting in a good word for Chicago.

There were several things that got on my nerves on the Milan disc. The track selection is way too mellow. The girl during AIWIY is just cringe-inducing...the whole 'moment' is. Bono's speech pre-Elevation ("I can talk if I want to...") is another cringe-inducing moment.

No way you can even compare COBL on Milan vs. Chicago...Chicago's take beats it hands down. I would say the only thing the Milan DVD wins is the version of WOWY, which is just fantastic.

Otherwise, I think the crowd is fairly tame in many places, but even beyond that, the band looks disconnected through a lot of it, even Bono.

prideofzootv said:
did chicago have drums? cos i couldnt hear them through the concert, apart from on COBL, i couldnt hear them!

:| Are we supposed to laugh at this ?

U can do better mate :wink:

Lemon95 said:
I'm putting in a good word for Chicago.

There were several things that got on my nerves on the Milan disc. The track selection is way too mellow. The girl during AIWIY is just cringe-inducing...the whole 'moment' is. Bono's speech pre-Elevation ("I can talk if I want to...") is another cringe-inducing moment.

he says "i can talk if i want to" before i still haven't found, not elevation. i agree about AIWIY.....but as far as bono's speaking / dorkiness making one cringe, that is who he is and it is evident on every dvd they ever have or ever will put out. it's kind of a love it or leave it kind of thing. IMO.

perrypickwick said:

I do. The 3D Movie will also come out on DVD - that`s for sure. 3 FULL DVDs from the tour - that would be a little bit too much. They want the people to come to the 3D Movie - so this is just a little appetizer.

After seeing the concerts from Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires I am sure the 3D Movie will be much, much better than the stuff we can see from Milan. And also: Mark Pellinton is a great director - Hamilton not.
The Crowd in South America is just amazing.. With or without you from Buenos Aires is - I think - miles better than the version from Milan.
That's not a fact, it's your opinion. Hamish is a great director to me, I really love his work on stadium DVD's. And not forget that Hamish was also involved in the South American shows, just read Willie's diary on that. They flew him in a few nights before and he co-directed the show.

And about the 3D movie, Bono's voice was so weak on the 4th leg, after seeing the Brazil and Buenos Aires broadcasts again I'm sure his voice was much stronger on the 2nd or even the 5th leg. Vertigo of Buenos Aires is great for example, but Bono's voice made it a weak performance overall.

cg said:

he says "i can talk if i want to" before i still haven't found, not elevation. i agree about AIWIY.....but as far as bono's speaking / dorkiness making one cringe, that is who he is and it is evident on every dvd they ever have or ever will put out. it's kind of a love it or leave it kind of thing. IMO.
Exactly, that will be the same on any DVD. And I love his talking on the Milan DVD, and the girl is great to me except for her underwear ;) I like it the way he dances with her and the way it was shot by the camera's. I love his pre-Elevation talk and interaction with the crowd and his Still Haven't Found introduction is great too, I'm just happy that it's not about poverty at all on that Milan DVD, that's what bothers me a bit at other recent DVD's.

Back
Top Bottom