Van Diemen's Land w/ extra verse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gee40

The Fly
in the lyric notes of the Rattle And Hum Cd , there is this verse that appears , does anyone know if this version exists

Still the gunman rules and the widows pay
A scarlet coat now a black beret
They thought that blood and sacrifice
Could out of death bring forth a life

Have often wondered this myself. Don't know if an extended version of the song was ever recorded but - to my (admittedly limited) knowledge - if there is a longer incarnation in existence, it's certainly never leaked onto the grey market. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though! Any live version I've ever heard certainly didn't incorporate an extra verse (although some fan cover versions on Youtube do).

it sounds like it kind of tails off at the end, like the turned down the volume. it seems like that verse is more offensive than the rest and might have been cut out due to that....

For what it's worth, Wikipedia has this to say about 'When Love Comes To Town':

"Like the song Van Diemen's Land, this song originally featured an extra verse:

When I woke up I was sleeping on the street
I felt the world was dancing, and I was dirt beneath their feet
When I woke up I saw the Devil looking down
But my Lord He played guitar the day love came to town

This verse was sung during the song's premiere in Fort Worth, Texas on U2's Joshua Tree Tour and does not appear in the studio version or subsequent live performances. This debut appearance took place on 24 November 1987 during the concert's encore and BB King joined U2 to perform the song."

So at least this extra verse was performed, if only the once!

Back
Top Bottom