U2's record deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POP-ROMANCER

War Child
In a book I bought last week I read that in 1990 McGuiness and u2 made a new deal with Island (because they were taken over by Polygram) for 6 albums. I think the 2 best ofs don't count but what about the passengers album?

1. AB
2. Zooropa
3. Passengers?
4. POP
5. ATYCLB
6. HTDAAB

That would be 6 so they have to make a new deal then? Does anyone know if passengers does count and so take part in the deal of 6 albums?

I don't think Passengers counts as it wasn't released under the name U2. The 6 album deal was signed in 1993.

Before that they signed 2 contracts for 4 albums, first one in 1980 and the second one in 1984.
So if that's Boy/October/War/Under a blood red sky (does it count?) and UF/JT/RaH/AB. So now it's Zooropa/Pop/ATYCLB/HTDAAB/ and two more.

Last edited:
ohh 1993. So we can expect 2 more albums. Both before 2010 maybe for the best of 2000-2010. I think UABRS does count because it was a contract for 4 albums.

Could be because it was released by U2, but then again it's not a studio album :shrug:

Good question. I thought that they had one more album but I didn't include Passengers because I don't think it is considered a "U2" album. I know it was a very good deal.

Haven't they been quoted as saying something about having enough songs for a new album?

They signed a separate deal for 3 Best Of's in 1998.
For 50mln$ if I'm not mistaken.
After the huge succes of POP album the record lebel trusted them enough to sign the deal for 3 Best Ofs while they had only enough songs to fill just 1 at the time...:wink:

POP-ROMANCER said:
In a book I bought last week I read that in 1990 McGuiness and u2 made a new deal with Island (because they were taken over by Polygram) for 6 albums. I think the 2 best ofs don't count but what about the passengers album?

1. AB
2. Zooropa
3. Passengers?
4. POP
5. ATYCLB
6. HTDAAB

That would be 6 so they have to make a new deal then? Does anyone know if passengers does count and so take part in the deal of 6 albums?

U2's old record contract ended in 1993 with Zooropa. Around the release of that record they signed a new contract for 6 albums. Not only had their old contract ended (they fulfilled their part by releasing 4 studio albums after The Unforgettable Fire), but Island was indeed bought up by Polygram, which was owned by Philips.
Since Zooropa was the last one of their past contract, I think that Pop was the first one of their new contract. Somehow, I don't think that Passengers counts, since it wasn't a U2 album. I can't imagine Island/Polygram/Universal giving them $10 million (the amount U2 gets for finishing an album) for a side project. So Pop was the first one.
As others have stated, Best Of collections aren't included in the contract, they have a separate contract for that one (signed in 1998 for a reported figure of $50 million for 3 Best Of collections). So that means we currently have:

1. Pop
2. All That You Can't Leave Behind
3. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

U2 is thus halfway in their recording contract.

But, they aren't obligated to do a damn thing more other than the 3rd Best Of.

They could quit tomorrow and then that recording contract means nothing. So it's no guarantee of anything other than if U2 releases another album, then Universal gets it, at least for the next 3 (or whatever it is).

So it's nice to think we've got 3 more coming but it doesn't mean so. Logically they would need one more for this trilogy, then 3 more for another, so that's 4 baby!!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom