U2's meaning to the non-english speaking countries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jammin909

Acrobat
I know bono speaks blips of other languages but certainly is not fluent in many- not enough to sing the lyrics in their language. I was curious to how the rest of the world reacts to u2's lyrics. The instrumental is enough alone to move you but the lyrics add so much more meaning to the songs. Do others get to experience the full u2?

Well I am from Mexico, but I know English fairly well and I can understand most of the lyrics and the messages in their songs, when I understand something I just read the lyrics and search for that meaning in spanish

I'm from Holland and I can understand most of the lyrics and lines in their songs, and if I don't, I'll translate it :)

jammin909 said:
I know bono speaks blips of other languages but certainly is not fluent in many- not enough to sing the lyrics in their language. I was curious to how the rest of the world reacts to u2's lyrics. The instrumental is enough alone to move you but the lyrics add so much more meaning to the songs. Do others get to experience the full u2?

Actually, i was wondering about that too, but the other way round. I mean, if people whose native language is english react differently to the lyrics? ...;)
Because, i guess that you understand the lyrics straight away while listening to a song... I myself can listen to a song and obviously recognise most of the words but sometimes i dont get the whole idea of it. I must listen to it carefully or print the lyrics...:huh:

But anyway the lyrics are INCREDIBLY important for me ! Enough to say that I became a u2 fan because of their lyrics :D

Yes, I think I do. I'm good enough in English to understand the words and make my interpretations of songs. More importantly, I understand the emotion behind the music and Bono's voice.

I think the problem might not always be the knowledge about a language...
Everyone has his own interpretation of a song- and this might not be the same as the songwriter intended. But isn't a song (or its interpretation) often a very personal thing (e.g. you connect sth. with it...)?!
I guess you noticed that I'm no native speaker as well :wink:
I usually understand the lyrics, but sometimes I have problems with certain idioms e.g. 'like a fish needs a bicycle' - isn't it a fixed expression in English?! And I think of course it takes me longer than a native speaker to recognize a song's meaning...

Sorry, this might all sound a little bit confused; hope you understand my thoughts :(

I am an english speaker, but I'm not really into lyrics. I usually just hear Bono's voice as another instrument. Sometimes the lyrics are cool to look up though.

I didn't have a good knowledge of English until I was 17 or so, but even back in Russia I always listened to English-speaking artists and bands almost exclusively. So even now lyrics for me are of a secondary nature and the singer's voice is very much like another instrument. And to be honest, the sort of vague lyrics Bono usually writes does not really appeal to me much.

thank you for acknowledging the non english-speaking countries -they are the majority of the world and contain within them millions of devoted U2 fans! :yes:

From Chile to China to Nigeria to Nepal, from Mexico to Morocco to Brazil and Japan, u2 is the MOST INTERNATIONALLY BELOVED GROUP OF MUSICIANS IN THE WORLD TODAY.

Even for people who may never fully understand every word they sing, U2 reaches across cultural differences and finds the COMMON THREADS OF HUMANITY which bind us together. :wink:

They do this with the awesome power of their music and the heartfelt ways in which they reach out to their audiences - both of which surpass any differences between them and their fans.

U2 is TRULY A UNIQUE BAND and their contribution to international peace and understanding will be part of their living legacy. :angel:

Thanks for this thread, jammin909!

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

Back
Top Bottom