U2's last song on their last concert ever.. what should it be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Acrobat followed by Bad followed by 40.

After 40 is over, Larry leaves, the crowd continues to sing. Then the synthesizer for Streets begins to play, the screen lights up in red, and the band does a Joshua Tree tour entrance. I'd pass out if I saw that.

Joey788 said:
Acrobat followed by Bad followed by 40.

After 40 is over, Larry leaves, the crowd continues to sing. Then the synthesizer for Streets begins to play, the screen lights up in red, and the band does a Joshua Tree tour entrance. I'd pass out if I saw that.

That, I like :yes:

But I don't wanna think about it...:no:

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, Bono was asked this By Chris Evans on TFI Friday in the UK, the show was called "a grand madness", he said that the last song they would play would be "amazing grace".

ElectricalVoice said:
They should go out with a long long version of "Where the streets have no name". Not because it is my favourite song, but because it just feels right.

Streets doesn't really allow itself to be extended. It is what it is and there's really no way to lengthen it to it's benefit. Streets doesn't need to be tweaked in any way.....it's the most perfect song they've ever written.

They'll do Acrobat and after the song is over they'll all do spectacular acrobatic back flips and vanish off stage.

An Cat Gav said:
As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, Bono was asked this By Chris Evans on TFI Friday in the UK, the show was called "a grand madness", he said that the last song they would play would be "amazing grace".

yeah but Bono is wrong. they won't do that. No fan wants that. I'd rather they go out with Babyface than Amazing Grace.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Streets doesn't really allow itself to be extended. It is what it is and there's really no way to lengthen it to it's benefit. Streets doesn't need to be tweaked in any way.....it's the most perfect song they've ever written.

Streets is the type of song that could be extended easily. They did it on Popmart tour. they did a little fade out and then back in and out again. Streets could easily be altered. I agree a longer version of Streets would kill. The intro could be easily extended and as for an outro Bono could improvise some lyrics at the end the fit the moment. It'd be awesome and PERFECT!

I'd hope for the closing encore to be:

All I Want is You
Bad / 50 bajillion snippets
Running to Stand Still / 40 (snippet)
Where the Streets Have No Name

the band members walk off one by one as Edge still plays the Streets riff, and puts his guitar down - then they walk back out to monstrous applause, take a bow, wave, or something and that's your show folks.

For years I imagined this scenario in my head. I assume it will never happen. What band actually retires and plans it out. Has it happened yet?

Anyway, I always thought the perfect last song would be

I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR

And at the end he changes the lyrics to say something like

... and i've finally found what I've been looking for. We've finally found what we've been searching for. alright.

Something like that. Tell the audience the journey is over.

Or course just playing the song without changing anything implies that just because this is their last song they are playing live doesn't mean their lives end here. It's just the beginning.

u2 should play a great song but they play vertigo x 2 with a " thank all " mention.

Either Yahweh or 40.
I could picture the crowds singing "How long...to sing this song?" long after the band leaves the stage. It would be a very touching moment, I think.
Actually, I could see the band playing Yahweh, and as they leave, the crowd will start to sing 40.
Yeah, that's the way to go

It would most likely be "ONE" into "40."

But my pick would be "Big Girls Are Best", and Bono would dance dance on stage with a big girl...while using another big girl as the dancefloor. Now that's creative.

But my serious pick (and if i was at this final concert) would be a long long marathon blistering version of "BAD". Bono would sing sing sing til he passes out, and the Edge would play play play til his fingers bleed and the strings break, Adam would do the same, and Larry will go thru every extra drum stick he has, until he's forced to bang his head on the set, until he then passes out. We won't stop partying til everyone in the place is dead.

:lol:

Bad
Streets

These songs and these segues work together like fireworks. Not an ounce of emotion is held back.

While I'd like to see something "different" as their last song, it will undoubtedly be 40.

There have been lots of closers, but 40 stands out as U2's best, most popular, and no doubt it will be their final.

How about this for a finale:

MIAMI!!!!!!

Seriously, I am sick to death of streets, BUT the whole 40 into Streets would be surreal (maybe just use Miami as the house music for when the lights go on 8-} )

changed my mind. not stay faraway despite how much i'm all for this song.
definitely 40. just watched the vertigo live in chicago DVD and, yep, definitely 40!
but U2 can never quit cos i cant quit them :(

this is pretty interesting:
"BBC host Chris Evans once asked Bono what he'd sing if it was the last song of the last show. What song did Bono pick? Amazing Grace."
i thikn he also said something similar in the TFI A Grand Madness interview (hahah unless that was it...i can't remember too well the name of the interviewer, but Chris seems to ring a bell)

Axver said:

:lol:

What I think would be awesome is if the main set ended with Bad, the first encore with 11 O'clock Tick Tock, the second with Streets, the third with Gone, and then the band comes back out one last time to play 40 to end the show. 40 would also quite appropriately mean that Larry is the last on stage.

Why would Larry be the last on stage?......Just curious...I haven't been to a concert yet

Back
Top Bottom