u2's first "masterpiece" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: war

martha said:

Be careful what you assume, sweetie! ;)

I almost puked from dancing too much when I saw Talking Heads right around the time you were born. :wink:

I saw Devo before you were born.

And while Two Hearts is my absolute all-time favorite U2 song, I don't like the rest of the album all that much.

You go Martha! :up:

"War" is a great album, but one reason I'm hesitant to call it a masterpiece is because of Bono's vocals. His singing is probably the worst on "War" out of all U2's albums. However, I can easily see how some would call the album a masterpiece.

For me, UF was their first masterpiece. The vocals, guitar work, lyrics, rhythm section - it all fit beautifully - and the album was even experimental. Great stuff!

October, War and The Unforgettable fire are still largely underated by many U2 fans.

War is simply excellent, the first 4 tracks would be stand-out songs on any other bands album, drowning man and 40 show the other side of U2 at this time, and gave a brief glimpse of a style they'd explore more in the future, and Surrender is simply awesome, one of the bands best songs ever.

Two Hearts is over-rated however, and Refugee and Red Light are two of the bands weaker songs, between these three the album does not quite reach the masterpiece level.

macphisto23 said:
I would have to say that the album "BOY" is a masterpiece. I love the guitar riffs, I love Bono's lyrics, and his voice(so sincere, and just being himself, not trying to coppy another style, but his own style). I dont know but I love that album, every song.

I agree, I think BOY was their first masterpiece. A few months back I would have said WAR is (I think it is also a masterpiece), but I recently got into BOY and love it. Theres a couple tracks that are weak, but overall it is an great debut! Amazing, raw guitar riffs from edge. His guitar work in "Tiwlight," the end of "An Cat Dubh", "Electric Co", "I Will Follow", amazing...this album came out the year I was born but I'm glad I went back and discovered it. Masterpiece.

Last edited:
yeah, i definitely agree that war is a great album, there's power, anger, it is made of blood and music, they showed there a much more bigger maturity contrary to their age, and not only musical, most of all spiritual and conscientious, i guess it wasn't so difficult to understand already at that time that they were on the road to become the best rock band in the world

I'm surprised at the number of fans of War there are. It's great, but its personally my least liked album. I'm with Marty. UF was sheer art.

The UF is my call for U2's first masterpiece. As good and loud as the first three albums are, it wasn't until the UF that U2 became painters so to speak. There clearly is another dimension on the UF that is lacking on their first three tries. There is something about that musical atmosphere surrounding the UF. The ambience that U2 created with this album showed them the power music had to touch the soul in such a sensual manner.

That being said, raw (raw = U2's first 3 albums) is not to be underrated. Raw IS rock n' roll.

War was the first U2 album I bought and I still love it just because it brings me back to those days..

I have to agree with (most of) y'all that The Unforgettable Fire is their first real masterpiece, though I have to admit to the blasphemy that I really don't care for Pride at all... It breaks up the flow of the album - too 'loud'.

just my 2 cents worth..

}:)~

What's with all the Joshua Tree bashing everyone always does on these threads? Is it cool to say you go against the most popular? It got all the attention it did for a reason...

Dr_Macphisto said:
What's with all the Joshua Tree bashing everyone always does on these threads? Is it cool to say you go against the most popular? It got all the attention it did for a reason...

damn... it's been 10 minutes short of 12 hours and no one has written anything after me... damn!

Maybe because there isn't any Joshua Tree bashing in this thread. One person said The Joshua Tree "doesn't hold a candle" to Achtung Baby - is that what you meant? The only other mention of The Joshua Tree is laudatory.

There is quite a bit of War bashing going on in this thread... not even bashing really, just folks posting their dislikes of certain songs off that album or the whole style of the album in general...

Don't know what it is you took offense to...

}:)~

I don't consider WAR a RAW album in the way I do Boy. Boy was pure guitar, bass, drum and nothing else, well, cept for the bottle clanking noise at the start of I Will Follow.

Back
Top Bottom