U2's Best live song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Acoustic, my favorite is Stay from the last tour.

Full band, probably Until the end of the world.

i like until the end of the world too, but when bono starts off, I HOPE YOU LIKE IT, it just gives me the chills.

blue eyes123 said:
Definitely With or Without You on the Rattle & Hum DVD. :wink:

Awesome. . . especially when Larry comes in at like 1:40 with his drum part. . . love it!

But, no question, the only song i'll cry if they don't play is Streets. . . Bad is great but it's the prelude to Streets!

There's just something about that song. . . I first saw it at 8 years of age in '87 (at the show on the DVD at Sun Devil Stadium) and at that point it was my very first U2 song. Eighteen years later, it's still my favorite.

Back in the olden days, it had to be BAD, but Bonos voice really tows with this song these days. I put Streets and U.T.E.O.T.W on a par with each other as being the best live songs of today. Though if Bono is struggling with is voice, Streets sounds awful i.m.o. He soundes ok in Boston (Elevation), but Slane is pretty bad.
Streets definatley has the best intro of any live U2 song! :wink:

GG_The_Fly said:

I first saw it at 8 years of age in '87 (at the show on the DVD at Sun Devil Stadium) and at that point it was my very first U2 song. Eighteen years later, it's still my favorite.

DVDs were out in 1987?????? Hehehe
Funnily enough, I was 8 in 1987, and it was this DVD, err VHS that turned me into a U2 fan. It was the live version of Bad and W.O.W.Y that had the killer blows!

Where's the love for Sunday Bloody Sunday???

To me, that has to be the best live song they have ever did. When they did that song at Slane, it was incredible. The versions on Under a Bloody Red Sky and Rattle and Hum also rock.

1. Streets
2. Bad
3. Out of Control
4. Until the End of The World

In that order.

If they play those this time around, there couldn't be a more perfect show. Some Elevation ticket holders witnessed it. The Tampa concert substituted Out of Control with I Will Follow. Still, almost perfect!

Mysterious Ways... The Slane performance of this song could have been the band's greatest moment!

UTEOTW during the 2nd and 3rd legs of Zootv.
Bullet during 3rd leg(Outside Broadcast) of Zootv.
God Part II - one of the Melbourne performances was simply mindblowing.... Bono yelled out 'Oh my God... Stop It' he sounded so astonished at what The Edge had just done.
One - Tacoma 21 April 92. Bono improvises near the end of the song, then beckons Edge to 'do something' it ended up a magnificent finale to the song and was never bettered since.

With Or Without You from rattle Hum movie is great too.

Obviously Exit and The Fly are up there too at different stages....

It often seems one of the early performances of a new song or revamped song are the best.... often because both Bono and Edge are seeing how far they can push the boundry of the song before they nail the performance that they want every night of the remainder of the tour. Often the most awe-inspiring performance comes just before they get it right.

This is really tough to decide so...

Joshua Tree Tour - Streets
ZooTV - Love Is Blindness/Running To Stand Still/Can't Help Falling In Love
Popmart - Mofo/Gone
Elevation - UTEOTW(Slane:drool:)/Kite

Gotta go with Streets. The red stage, Edges chimes, lights coming on (blinding everyone), Bono screaming, Larry and Adam bumping. No matter if you like or hate U2 there is no way anyone cannot get pumped up when that song is played live.

I also thought Discotheque took a meaning of its own when played live at the Popmart.

zoopop said:
Gotta go with Streets. The red stage, Edges chimes, lights coming on (blinding everyone), Bono screaming, Larry and Adam bumping. No matter if you like or hate U2 there is no way anyone cannot get pumped up when that song is played live.

:drool:

The strongest song live is Streets, and I think the weakest has become Pride.

Other awesome live songs in my opinion include Bullet, Mofo, Exit, UTEOTW, I Will Follow, Out of Control, Gloria, Electric Co. (hope it's back for the Tour...), Bad, RTSS, 40, and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock.

Hmmm...

1. Streets: Anytime, Anyplace. A spiritual zeitgeist that damn few performers have ever tapped. Must be experienced in person.

2. Bad: 1985, 1987, 2001. Again, awe-inspiring spiritual energy.

3. The Electric Co.: 1983, 1984, 1985.

4. Bullet>Running: 1992. Amazing, bold, creative re-working of something that was great to begin with. Theatrically riveting, but with heraldic playing to back it up.

5. 40: 1983-85, 1987. Talk about an experience that transcends its studio origins... another irreplaceable group high.

6. Until the End of the World: 1992-93, 1997, 2001.

7. The Fly: 2001. Staggering re-invention. A laser-shooting jackhammer.

8. With or Without You: 1987. Specifically, the versions with the Joy Division refrain. Otherwise doesn't make the cut.

9. Exit: 1987. Vicious. Forces a total re-evaluation of the song. Especially good with Riders on the Storm and Gloria interludes.

10. Walk On: 2001. Another spritual crescendo; much better than the album.

11. Elevation: 2001. One of the great pieces of live theater (coming out with house lights on) and audience participation both.

Personal fave:
Sunday Bloody Sunday: 1987. Specifically 11/08/87, with the slow intro, the day of the Enniskillen bombing. It was haunting in person, and even better in black & white in the movie.

I would have loved to have seen the Angel>Lovetown>Love Rescue Me with horns from the '89 tour.

Back
Top Bottom