U2 vs. Bon Jovi (The Ultimate Battle)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Band Is Better?

• U2

Votes: 112 87.5%
  • Bon Jovi

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • It is much too difficult to choose between them!

Votes: 8 6.3%

• Total voters
I would like to congratulate Bon Jovi for a strong showing. This is a U2 message forum after all, nevertheless U2 had failed to get a 90% approval rating over Bon Jovi.

This just shows that Bon Jovi is also a quality band who makes music that appeals to a wide fan base. It also shows the respect U2 fans have for Bon Jovi.

I think it is unfair for pit both bands against each other. U2 and Bon Jovi aren't enemies or rivals. On the contrary, they are teammates and comrades in the fight to keep band music on the radio. They are both on the same side in the fight agaist father time and against teen pop drivel bands like The Hives and The Darkness.

More power to U2 and Bon Jovi.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
I would like to congratulate Bon Jovi for a strong showing. This is a U2 message forum after all, nevertheless U2 had failed to get a 90% approval rating over Bon Jovi.

This just shows that Bon Jovi is also a quality band who makes music that appeals to a wide fan base. It also shows the respect U2 fans have for Bon Jovi.

I think it is unfair for pit both bands against each other. U2 and Bon Jovi aren't enemies or rivals. On the contrary, they are teammates and comrades in the fight to keep band music on the radio. They are both on the same side in the fight agaist father time and against teen pop drivel bands like The Hives and The Darkness.

More power to U2 and Bon Jovi.

Cheers,

J

Praise be to Jick

i guess for me it's u2... but if it was against poison i don't know:wink: ... that would be the real ultimate battle :wink:

Miggy D said:
I have now lost all hope that anyone (except for a select few) on this forum has a sense of humor. Can't I just post a goofy, sarcastic thread without being completely misunderstood/flamed? I mean does ANYONE read my normal posts? Anyone could see clear as daylight that

Maybe you were misunderstood because you don't know how to make sarcastic or honestly humorous threads not because the people on the forum don’t have a sense of humor. It doesn't take much looking around to see that the people here have a lot of sense of humor and some more tasteful than others. If more than 90% of the people here didn't see this as a joke, as stupid and dumb as it is, maybe that’s because you didn’t do it right.

jick said:

Cheers,

J

actually i think it just shows that u2 fans think it's funny to vote for such a crap band like bon jovi... just for shits and giggles, ya know?

Cheers,

H

Miggy D said:

Personally, I think 'winking' right away kind of dumbs it down. It's no longer that funny if I completely spell it out in CAPITAL LETTERS like so. 'Hey, look guys - it's a joke! I'm winking!' I think if people don't understand that question like, 'Will U2 play any songs from this album this tour?' is a.) making fun of a recent post by another Interferencer and b.) is a completely outrageous question, then, well, the thread just isn't for them, and they should move on.

But, to each his/her own. A lot of people like the smiley wink faces, and more power to 'em. But when a somewhat clever, yet very repetitive and ultimately drawn-out 'I Hate Everything U2 Has Ever Done' thread gets treated like it's the second coming, I guess it says something about the kind of humor appreciated here. Which strikes me as interesting because that thread was a commentary on all of the 'Negative U2 Threads' that had been popping up lately, and people gobbled it up (even though it was basically the same paragraph 11 times), but when I make a thread commenting on Jick's post - 'Will U2 Play Their Greatest Hits Anymore?' (or something to that effect) it's 'Is this for real? If this is a joke - it's the lamest thing ever!'

::sigh:: I take comfort in the 2-3 people here who don't hate me. :wink:

-The Migginator

Winking right away would be stupid. Some ppl here are too dumb to recognize a joke even if it hits them in their faces.

Miggy D said:

But, to each his/her own. A lot of people like the smiley wink faces, and more power to 'em. But when a somewhat clever, yet very repetitive and ultimately drawn-out 'I Hate Everything U2 Has Ever Done' thread gets treated like it's the second coming, I guess it says something about the kind of humor appreciated here. Which strikes me as interesting because that thread was a commentary on all of the 'Negative U2 Threads' that had been popping up lately, and people gobbled it up (even though it was basically the same paragraph 11 times), but when I make a thread commenting on Jick's post - 'Will U2 Play Their Greatest Hits Anymore?' (or something to that effect) it's 'Is this for real? If this is a joke - it's the lamest thing ever!'

Just for the record, i thought that the 'I Hate Everything U2 Has Ever Done' thread was pretty much obtuse, repetitive, non-fun and totally based on false premises.

Last edited:
some threads are dry
some threads are cheeky
some threads come clean
other threads are sneaky
some threads take less but some threads take more
some threads fall flat and onto the floor

some threads are better than others

U2_Guy said:

Just for the record, i thought that the 'I Hate Everything U2 Has Ever Done' thread was pretty much obtuse, repetitive, non-fun and totally based on false premises.

Yet it was worshipped like a golden god.

Amen.

-Miggy D

TheBrazilianFly said:

Maybe you were misunderstood because you don't know how to make sarcastic or honestly humorous threads not because the people on the forum don’t have a sense of humor. It doesn't take much looking around to see that the people here have a lot of sense of humor and some more tasteful than others. If more than 90% of the people here didn't see this as a joke, as stupid and dumb as it is, maybe that’s because you didn’t do it right.

Humor is subjective. A lot of people love Monty Python (many of my friends are huge fans) but I don't care for them. Some people like Jim Carrey, others don't. Etc, etc, etc. Perhaps you're right, perhaps I 'didn't do it right.' But it totally depends on the audience, very much like a concert - if the audience isn't in the right mood, they're not going to react to the music in the same way an energized crowd would. Same with a comedy club - a comedian can use the same material in two different cities, and get rave applause in one and a crap response in another. Does this reflect the actual material, or the attitude/sensibility of the different audiences?

-Miggy D

Last edited:
Miggy D said:

Personally, I think 'winking' right away kind of dumbs it down. It's no longer that funny if I completely spell it out in CAPITAL LETTERS like so. 'Hey, look guys - it's a joke! I'm winking!' I think if people don't understand that question like, 'Will U2 play any songs from this album this tour?' is a.) making fun of a recent post by another Interferencer and b.) is a completely outrageous question, then, well, the thread just isn't for them, and they should move on.

::sigh:: I take comfort in the 2-3 people here who don't hate me. :wink:

-The Migginator

Not really, but it helps the person who wrote the thread from getting angry responses. If you see your "humor" doesn't work here, maybe either a) try it differently or b) move on.

Funny you should mention it, "I hate everything U2 has ever done" was a great example of a funny thread, poking fun at all the negativity in the forum. Even more funnier is virtually everyone got it, except of course the negativity people.

Also, Jick used real arguments in his thread to explain himself.

Jick is a misunderstood Genius, although most here understand Irony and Sarcasm, some people don't grasp it off the bat, Jick exploited this very well.......... Miggy my man learn from the master.

ZeroDude said:
Jick is a misunderstood Genius, although most here understand Irony and Sarcasm, some people don't grasp it off the bat, Jick exploited this very well.......... Miggy my man learn from the master.

The main difference is that I think Jick is usually completely serious when he writes those posts.

-Miggy D

U2girl said:

Funny you should mention it, "I hate everything U2 has ever done" was a great example of a funny thread, poking fun at all the negativity in the forum. Even more funnier is virtually everyone got it, except of course the negativity people.

I wasn't one of the 'negative people', I really like the new album, a lot. And most of everything U2 has ever done. I think they're a fantastic band (hence they're my favorite). But I still don't think the thread was that funny. It had a funny idea behind it, and it was creative, but it was repetetive. The first 3 album critiques had me laughing, but after 'War' I was scrolling down and thinking, 'Wow, ALL of the albums?' By the time I got to the HTDAAB 'review' I was thinking, 'Yep, I get it!'

-Miggy

Last edited:
Yes. Bon Jovi is better than U2...

And more succesful..

And they can fill almost every stadium in the world like U2..

And they can sold 130 million albums without being a hair-metal-pop band like U2 did since 1980..

And they can make and album like UF, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby or Zooropa.. And a worldwide tour like ZooTV

... Yes. In Jon Bon Jovi's dreams :D:D:D

Vox

i really dont see why this thread was made.

it couldn't be more clear that, as a whole, bon jovi's catalogue is just superior to u2's. plus, bon jovi can actually get PAID for their duracell ads, where in order for u2 to get face time, they have to go on ads for free. too much blue crack for some of you.

StlElevation said:
i really dont see why this thread was made.

it couldn't be more clear that, as a whole, bon jovi's catalogue is just superior to u2's. plus, bon jovi can actually get PAID for their duracell ads, where in order for u2 to get face time, they have to go on ads for free. too much blue crack for some of you.

:lmao:

For a second I thought this post was like a lot of the others. But that second part made me literally laugh out loud. Job well done, my friend. :)

-Miggy

discothequeLP said:
oh my god

mods close this thread! i think we need a no-sarcasm rule in effect for these dumb battle things

I agree! Let only a select few (discotequeLP included, of course!) decide which threads are appropriate and inappropriate, funny and not funny, 'cool' and 'uncool', and close every single thread they don't like, democracy be damned!

:rolleyes:

Miggy D said:

I agree! Let only a select few (discotequeLP included, of course!) decide which threads are appropriate and inappropriate, funny and not funny, 'cool' and 'uncool', and close every single thread they don't like, democracy be damned!

:rolleyes:

Congrats! That was more sarcastic than the original post. :up:

TheBrazilianFly said:

Congrats! That was more sarcastic than the original post. :up:

Although a compliment is always more appreciated when it comes from a tough critic such as yourself (and the 'thumbs up' was gratifying), the original post wasn't really intended to be sarcastic, so much as satirical. I can whip out some nasty sarcasm when need be. I held myself back just then. By the original post of this thread was not really intended to be sarcastic.

-Miggster

Miggy D said:

Although a compliment is always more appreciated when it comes from a tough critic such as yourself (and the 'thumbs up' was gratifying), the original post wasn't really intended to be sarcastic, so much as satirical. I can whip out some nasty sarcasm when need be. I held myself back just then. By the original post of this thread was not really intended to be sarcastic.

-Miggster

Really? :scratch: But you said this before:

Miggy D said:
I have now lost all hope that anyone (except for a select few) on this forum has a sense of humor. Can't I just post a goofy, sarcastic thread without being completely misunderstood/flamed?

TheBrazilianFly said:

Really? :scratch: But you said this before:

Haha...damn you for doing research on what I said. I had forgotten I wrote that. Ok, I guess I shall explain. The 'topic' itself is sarcastic in a knowing way because who honestly would compare Bon Jovi to U2 in seriousness, and especially in a U2 Fan Forum? So in that sense, it was sarcastic, in a 'Bon Jovi? Ha!' kind of way. But the actual tone of the piece, and the language that was used, was not sarcastic, because it was presented straight-faced, as opposed to something like:

"Yeah, Bon Jovi sounds really good, if you consider 'musical genocide' pleasant listening."

I would consider that a sarcastic-in-tone comment. But my original post was sarcastic in 'idea', not execution, as it was written in a 'serious', straightforward manner. Hopefully this explanation makes sense!

-Miggy D

Miggy D said:

I wasn't one of the 'negative people', I really like the new album, a lot. And most of everything U2 has ever done. I think they're a fantastic band (hence they're my favorite). But I still don't think the thread was that funny. It had a funny idea behind it, and it was creative, but it was repetetive. The first 3 album critiques had me laughing, but after 'War' I was scrolling down and thinking, 'Wow, ALL of the albums?' By the time I got to the HTDAAB 'review' I was thinking, 'Yep, I get it!'

-Miggy

I never said you were one of the negative people (they replied in that thread, complaining LOL).
It was funny in that it featured the absurdity of constant complaining about any of U2's albums on a U2 fan forum, (hence the repetitiveness), and it got even more funnier when it upset exactly the people whose threads it poked fun at, who took it way to seriously.

Back
Top Bottom