U2 Videos (Starting over fresh)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's all part of the Interference soap opera!

(Hmm. I think maybe we should leave this thread unhijacked.)

Spielberg, I can see Bono in a fedora and bullwhip! :lol:

Seriously though, I agree with what a few others said on the other thread. Videos are almost obligatory now instead of anything meaningful. MTV rarely even shows videos any longer. If U2 decided not to make videos any longer it wouldnt bother me. But they will simply because they are a promotional tool.

Jonathan Demme, I say...if, of course, we're actually taking this thread seriously...? :wink:

Seriously, though, they really need to start finding some capable folks to take over the video jazz. Even their last two home video releases have been, from a cinematographer's standpoint, horrendous. As far as the LOOK of their on-film shows go, nothing else has come close to being as powerfully consistent as PopMart in Mexico City. Their music videos, then...well, those've just been beastly, for the most part.

There are a few which I really enjoy ("Staring at the Sun," "Discotheque" (so shoot me), and the "One" videos, to name a few), but I think that most of them are pretty laughable whether new or old.

David La Chappelle seems to direct about 1200 videos a month, so maybe he should give it a go...? Bryan Barber, though I've never seen him direct anything outside of hip-hop, is a very competent visual stylist and that sort of amalgamation of seemingly dichotomous elements could make for a very interesting video. Either way, what they REALLY need is someone to reign in Bono, if you ask me. He looks like a damn freak, half the time--he DOESN'T know that he can't dance, anymore. It's been downhill since "Beautiful Day" with him looking like a dunce on camera...he needs to go back to those mime lessons and remember what he was once so good at--swinging to the music.

Back
Top Bottom