U2 Recording video with Mary J

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMScoopy said:

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Theres nothing i hate more (well there is :wink: ) than being woken up at 3:00 in the morning cause some asshole has to ride around in their stupid car blasting that rap shit so loud it rattles their car and my windows. also, when i was in the dorms in college, i had the shit forced on me day in and day out. it seems when people listen to rap, they cant listen to it at a normal volume level, it has to be so anyone within a 500 yard (meter) radius can hear it.

Oh so only people who listen to rap, listen to it loud?

:rolleyes:

and a :up: to headache, these people are sounding like our parents.

It's a shame to think how close minded the next generation will be.:|

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i listen to my music in my car as loud as it will go without blowing the speakers out... but i won't do that in a residential area late at night. those who do don't do it because they like rap... they do it because they're inconsiderate assholes. liking rap has nothing to do with it.

Word. I'm not only an asshole, but an asshole who often does this very thing. And I'm only sometimes listening to rap/hip-hop when doing so. I am also inconsiderate.

Headache is 100% right (not just about me, but about the whole situation), and anybody thinking that it's just tied to rap has some serious-ass motherfucking issues.

what about that comment?

well, that statement is a fact! i guess you could throw in some white ladies too like mariah carey.

BTW, i never said LISTENING TO RAP = PLAYING MUSIC LOUD. i just said i hear it played loud and annoying more often than not.

ok you wanna debate, ok

black, white, red, purple

i didnt mean it as a stereotype. why do people get so touchy when someone says "black" or "white"?

that i meant was all these female R&B singers (which the majority are black, which is why i said that) all sound pretty much the same.

prove me wrong.

Last edited:
if you can't tell the difference between mary j. blige, mariah carey and aretha franklin all on your own, then i'm at a loss as to how i could possibly ever "prove you wrong."

i think aretha franklin is a little old for this dicussion, i meant TODAY'S R&B singers, not ones from the 70's!

aretha franklin was an orginal R&B singer. her material was original and interesting. she paved the way for all these singers today. i can respect that (pun intended), what i dont respect is unoriginallity and doing the same shit over and over again.

Last edited:
JMScoopy said:
aretha franklin was an orginal R&B singer. her material was original and interesting. she paved the way for all these singers today. i can respect that (pun intended), what i dont respect is unoriginallity and doing the same shit over and over again.

Respect is a cover of an Otis Redding song.

woooooosh... what's that sound? it's the sound of your credibility flying out the window.

JMScoopy said:
that i meant was all these female R&B singers (which the majority are black, which is why i said that) all sound pretty much the same.

prove me wrong.
hate to break it to you, but i bet if you sauntered on over a mary j. blige forum, you'd see a similar discussion going on about her covering this song. except, it'd be switched. you'd have some people saying how all rock music sounds the same and how U2 sounds just like everyone else, bono can't sing, etc.

one thing i've noticed, when people collectively dismiss an entire genre of music or a band, they use the cop-out excuse "all the songs/singers sound the same." really. i did not know that. if this music was derivative, it wouldn't be this successful. maybe a few people are "stupid" enough to listen to the same song over and over again, but given how popular it is, you can't say that many people are that dumb.

KhanadaRhodes said:

hate to break it to you, but i bet if you sauntered on over a mary j. blige forum, you'd see a similar discussion going on about her covering this song. except, it'd be switched. you'd have some people saying how all rock music sounds the same and how U2 sounds just like everyone else, bono can't sing, etc.

one thing i've noticed, when people collectively dismiss an entire genre of music or a band, they use the cop-out excuse "all the songs/singers sound the same." really. i did not know that. if this music was derivative, it wouldn't be this successful. maybe a few people are "stupid" enough to listen to the same song over and over again, but given how popular it is, you can't say that many people are that dumb.

I totally agree.

I don't like the One duet with MJB but because I think the original is eternal and it got deteriorated with MJB's screams and big alterations to the original vocals.

But despite this bad thing she got onto with U2, I think she's a very talented singer and her albums are great. I personally like her post-1996 albums. She seems to be a very cohesive person, and her music is important, not only because she's a great R'n'B/Soul (not an Hip-hop/Rap singer as many here want her to be) but because she shares her values and the afro-american culture in a good way with the general public.
She does not wastes herself like most of the new afro-american singers (mostly hip-hop ones now) with bad taste videos as other singers like Lil' Kim and others.

I'm only talking about afro-american singers because that's the way the discussion here seems to go, but it doesn't have to go this way, you all know it.

The proof that she is a great singer and that she can make great covers is, for example, her version of "You Make Feel (Like A Natural Woman)" which I found one of the beat I heard... I only think that this time it went wrong, it happens sometimes.

Someone here made the comparation about the hip-hop mouvement that's been lasting since the 80's and the rock'n'roll controversy and increased popularity when it came out to the masses. I do not agree with what he said.

In fact I can understand (if we count the 50/60's society, a post-war, a cold-war society) the reason why it was seen as trash and associated with sex and drugs and whatever, despite we know that it proved to be wrong 'till now. And I agree that what happened to the rock'n'roll movement is equivalent to what's happening to the hip-hop movement.

But there are substancial differences with these two movements.
First, through the decades, rock'n'roll proved to be a musical genre that was then accepted because of its musical and meaningful sense. Thankfully to great bands and artists and to the music history, rock'n'roll is associated with freedom of speech, the world peace, and denonciation of the world's rotten things.
Rock'n'roll is IMO one of the most important things that happened in the XX century society to change its road.

Hip-hop? Yeah, I admit it... It's equiparable to what I said above. the difference is that is restringed to one culture and its "freedom of speech" is reduced to one culture too. Hip-hop has been proving himself as a genre that is reducing the society to a straight vision (just look at the videos and its lyrics...) and retrocess in people's mentality.
A very simple example? Yeah, you can see the singers with them girlfriends proclaming their freedom and emancipation from the boyfriends' cheating... But on the otherside... Those girls are ALWAYS submissive to the man's power, money (the other important factor!) and sex. This is only an example, there are many more... You all know it, I'm just expressing it.
It will stay as another important movement in the history, surely will but not in the same way rock'n'roll was...

And musically? Experimentation? Do I call experimentation, taking 3 or 4 samples of pop/rock artists from the 70's/80's, mix it all and start to rap dirty and meaningless words over it, just because they rhyme?? For Christ's sake! Where can I see originality in it? Pharell Williams and the Neptunes as great producers and original music composers? Well, Nellee Hooper, Mark 'Spike' Stent and the others can make it too...

Please, don't try to prove me that MTV and Billboard's manipulation over the world's music and image is right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom