U2 log: not enough songs recorded for the new album, world tour next year #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't have a problem with you, never have.

i just have a problem with how you handled the situation. you're simply getting too worked up. i just felt the need to say something because i feel like your attitude towards myself and others who point out their displeasure with the current state of the new album is off base.

i'm far from slandering you. if i really wanted to slander you, you'd know. trust me. but once again, you're simply overreacting.

you told us to go to elvis or sicy if we had a problem with your post. but the way i see it, that's just hiding behind your words. we all take responsibility for what we say here, and so should you. after all, your post was pretending not to be a mod.

Last edited:
Guys, you obviously are missing one main point here...

The Edge totally did the theme song for that new Batman cartoon! New material! YES!

You know, it looks like this sub-forum has become Free your mind U2 style. Both sides camped out in their trenches and now they trash on each other.

yes, that's why I closed the original thread in the first place
because I hoped that would send the message that the discussion should stay on the original topic
+ that I was serious the last couple of weeks that the overall tone of this forum really should improve
obviously that didn't work though

as a mod I need to try to get people back posting in this forum
even other mods hardly check this place anymore because it's just the same sort of moaning & whining over & over

believe me, I would have stopped reading this forum myself weeks ago if I wasn't a mod

therefore I have nothing to say to anyone about this in private
mainly because personally it all doesn't effect me
as a mod I do care though
that's why I will keep posting about the unnesecary negative tone that has become the norm over here
I will also reply to anyone who portrays my behaviour here as irrational ranting because if I will let that pass by it will become impossible for me to mod this place

mikal said:

the last thread in which salome went on his blind rant, we were actually just joking with each other, considering the news we heard in the original post was nothing new and had been discussed before. if anything, we owe an apology to u2girl for spamming her thread.

The last sentence here is precisely the nuts of it. On the album itself, we all have as varied opinions on it as we can get. There are people like myself, and coincidently Salome who dont give a shit if it takes 6 hours to be released or 6 years. There are those who are getting impatient and either pass the time by turning it into a bit of comic relief or actually taking their (legitimate) frustrations out on the board. We can all react how we want and it wont be an issue until it becomes a negative one. Does that mean no more taking the piss out of each other and U2? No. Does it mean acting reasonably and keeping that in check? Yes it does. To do this reasonably means not to bring this into every thread we seem to post in or to pretty much have nothing else to say but a joke or sarcastic negative comment. All is good in moderation and we all know too much of anything is annoying in terms of message boards.

Usually we ask people to keep this kind of thing off the board, but in this case Mikal has said he doesn't have the problem with any person, but how this has been handled. And as mikal is not alone in his 'side' as U2girl described, I'm happy for this to be ironed out now so others can have their say. Unfortunately, the second thread U2girl posted has now been derailed and I dont think it would serve any purpose to split it again.

It was inevitable this would happen in here as many people are getting a bit sick of the wait. Comic relief is welcome to help pass the time, so is taking the piss out of whoever when it is in good humour. Like any other forum on this board, it cant be the only way. Lets break it up a bit. I think we're all bored waiting, no matter what our opinion is so lets just be aware.

If anyone has actually read all this, I salute you. Honestly. I was bored by the end of typing that, so reading it cant have been much fun.

Happy posting people.
:wink:

U2girl said:
You know, it looks like this sub-forum has become Free your mind U2 style. Both sides camped out in their trenches and now they trash on each other.

*takes a drink and some peanuts*
*sits back*
*watches the spectacle*

C'mon you people! :rant:

:D

Marty

At the rate this is going we'll be jumping each other's throats before the new album comes.

Maybe it'd be better if this forum were shut down, for people's sanity's sake?

I know I don't want to come here to enter WWIII every time I open up a thread.

U2girl said:
At the rate this is going we'll be jumping each other's throats before the new album comes.

Maybe it'd be better if this forum were shut down, for people's sanity's sake?

I know I don't want to come here to enter WWIII every time I open up a thread.

actually, this wouldn't happen if we all just respected each other's opinions. the only time i've ever gotten heated in this subforum is when someone hasn't respected my opinion.

U2 don't release bad albums. Pop and Zooropa are among their best. Anyone familiar with The Passengers will admit that the only trouble U2 has in creating a successful album is in its commercial appeal. Any delay to the follow-up of ATYCLB can be attributed to the new purpose U2 took on after 9/11: they no longer were concerned with the economics of rock n' roll (a result perhaps of The Passengers and Pop), but once again with the political and social power rock n' roll can wield. If you pay careful attention to Electrical Storm and The Hands That Built America, you will find that 9/11 has become a lingering factor in writing new U2 songs. As for not enough songs being ready for the next album, I'm somewhat doubtful. After the completion of The Best of U2: 1990-2000, the band claimed to have many exceptional songs left over. Maybe they just want to get it right. U2 will not disappoint critics and fans when they finally release the follow-up to ATYCLB, the only possible offence they can make is to investors. Commercially speaking, if the next album is to "flop" like Pop did, there's not much to worry about. Pop still went on to sell millions of copies and set precedence for what became one of the world's greatest tours of all time. Let's try and be a tad more optimistic people, it's what Bono would ask.

At the moment ATYCLB is on track to outsell The Joshua Tree in the near future. This is indicative of U2?s continual relevance.

As a Canadian, I have to admit the thought of U2 not hitting the #1 or #2 spot on the record release chart is difficult to imagine. It seems they always have and always will.

Seems like deja vu all over again. The key word in the initial post is "tabloid." Geeez! If it's in a tabloid, it's treated as the truth in here. :p
Fact1: album is not out.
Fact2: album will come out when it's finished.
<banging head on wall>

beli said:
Back on topic:

U2 may well release a new album at some point in the future, possibly. :up:
I don't think I can agree with you on this one

define album

Back
Top Bottom