U2 and the R&R Hall of Fame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earnie Shavers

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So who do you think should induct them?

My pick is a duo of Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney.

The Rolling Stones and The Beatles inducting U2. Kinda makes sense.

My first bet is Michael Stipe.
I'd say Thom Yorke (but I'm not sure he'd do such a thing) or Chris Martin (being influenced by U2 and someone popular).

I did think about Mick Jagger inducting them this morning...could be :yes: Good idea, Earnie - both of the band that influenced U2.

Flying FuManchu said:
No one is worthy enough to induct them. Wouldn't it be funny if U2 didn't get in on their first try/ nomination?

I can think of lots of people worthy enough to induct them. :wink:

However, if U2 fail to get in, then something mighty fishy is going on. :eyebrow: :scratch: They have won the most Grammies of any band - ever. They have sold over 100 million albums (some say 120 million!) worldwide. After 25 years, their new album and subsequent tour are still the amongst the most anticipated events of the coming year. U2 have been praised for consistently producing some of the best rock music ever. "War", JT, AB, ATYCLB are considered classics. "Boy" is considered one of the best debut albums. For them not to be inducted on the first try would really insult not just U2, but the artists already in the HofF.

u2ulysses said:

They have sold over 100 million albums (some say 120 million!) worldwide.

Actually, according to the resident experts at this site (check the Peeling of Those Dollar Bills section) it's 135 million sold. But what's a few million, give or take?:wink:

It should definitly be Sir Paul. One of the biggest men in music from possibly THE most important band ever. There is no one else more worthy of this honor.

I think they should induct themselves. Bono would enjoy that. Edge probably wouldn't show, Larry would look pissed for some reason, and Adam would just stand there looking posh.

I have turned this one over & over in my head (which can be a very barren place at times!), and still don't have an answer that satisfies me. True, Sir Paul & the Beatles were a large influence, but something about the generation gap between them & our boys just doesn't feel right to me. (Granted, this is just my ignorant rambling - what the hell do I know? :huh: )
Mick Jagger/Keith Richards - I don't think so :eyebrow:
Chris Martin - hasn't earned the honor yet (IMO)
Michael Stipe/Peter Buck - mmmm, OK, I guess

Right now, though, I lean more toward Sting or Springsteen.
Regardless, it's one hell of a decision to make & I'd be hard pressed to pick someone if the burden rested on my shoulders! I'm very curious to see who does get & accepts the nod.

Prolly someone that is Irish will induct them, or someone strongly associated with the band. Maybe Lanois and Eno.

Personally I think I should induct them, but since that's not happening Paul Mccartney is a good choice. Does anybody know if you can purchase tickets to the induction *cough cough* or is it invite only?? :wink:

Last edited:
Yes, they've always been the fans' band. They should have a contest on the soon-to-be-redesigned U2.com to select a fan to do it.

I vote for Springsteen. I like Chris Martin but Coldplay are too new. I would have said Van Morrison until I saw him live. One of the worst performers I have ever seen. But seeing Springsteen live only increases my respect for him. Rolling Stones, U2 and Sprinsteen are the best performers today. Especially the Stones show I saw in Chicago where Bono came out unannounced and dueted with Mick on It's Only Rock & Roll. Unbelievably cool.:cool:

I have always thought Oasis would be good, but now they have slacked off so much I don't know if they qualify. I don't see anyone a lot older than them inducting, it's usually someone younger who was influenced by a band. REM are contemporaries and may even also be inducted the same night. As everyone knows, I loathe Chris Martin and hope it isn't him.

Gotta be Chris Martin--makes sense--but I can certainly understand why everyone is saying it shouldn't be him. But if Kid Rock can induct Bob Seger then then they will let ANYONE on that stage.

MrBrau1 said:
All these legends are great. But don't you need a new performer who's actually been influenced by the inductees music?

It's usually that way, but Elton John inducted Elvis Costello. Elton's first album I think was released around 1972, Costello's around 1977.

My bets are on Springsteen and Chris Martin. It seems that the Hall of Fame has been doing more tag-team inductions over the past few years, so this combination makes sense to me.

Springsteen because he is from the bands generation, and also because he's Bruuuuce - he is one of the few people in the world that is on the same level as the band.

After reading what Chris Martin wrote a while back about the Unforgettable Fire, it's obvious that he's a true fan and has been fof some time, and his view would be from the next generation that has been influenced by the band.

To sum up, Spingsteen & Martin - kind of like Dean & Martin, but different. More sober.

bsp77 said:
I vote for Springsteen. I like Chris Martin but Coldplay are too new.

I completely agree. Although I love Coldplay and Martin a HUGE u2 fan, I think Springstein would be the best pick. u2 need a legend to induct them, they deserve that. Elvis Costello or Bob Dyland would be great, but the Boss would just be a perfect pick. Michael Stipe wouldnt be the worst either, I'm just not an REM fan.

Springsteen and U2 used to hang out and go to each others shows back in the olden days, and did anyone hear their "Stand By Me" duet? Pretty cool.

He wouldn't be a bad pick

Back
Top Bottom