Top 5 Greatest U2 Songs of Your Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SiW87

Acrobat
Wide Awake in the City Of Blinding Lights
I’m not necessarily talking about your favorite U2 songs (Although they could be).
I’m not necessarily talking about the ones you listen to the most (Although they could be).

These are the greatest U2 songs of your life. The ones today that – without them, you would be nowhere near the fan you are now. These are the songs that really got you into the band.

I’m interested to see what songs made everyone get into U2.

Here are mine:

1. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (Studio)
When I was about 6 or 7, my dad got a huge sound system for our house. I turned on the radio and heard ISHFWILF. It was the very first U2 song I can ever remember consciously hearing. The Edge's guitar tab was absolutely amazing and I thought it was one of the coolest songs and sounds I ever heard in my life.

2. Where the Streets Have No Name (Super Bowl XXXVI)
I was in NYC when 9/11 happened and when I saw these guys on TV play Streets during the Super Bowl, the feeling was indescribable.

3. Miracle Drug/City of Blinding Lights (Studio)
First time I went home for college in Thanksgiving of 2004, it was the greatest vacation I ever took and this song came to define one of the highest moments in my life. Friend of mine had a copy of Bomb for me, and I instantly fell in love with MD and COBL.

4. Bad (Rattle and Hum VHS)
Was over a friend's house when I watched this song played. I immediately went out and bought The Unforgettable Fire. To this day, I still think UF is not only U2's greatest masterpiece, but one of the greatest rock and roll albums of all time.

5. The Electric Co. (Studio)

:) :) :)

1. With Or Without You- anywhere because it is my favorite U2 song of all time so it really doesn't matter to me wether it is played studio or live
2. Where The Streets Have No Name (Live Boston DVD)- my favorite live performance of a song that i've ever seen
3. City Of Blinding Lights (Live all Boston shows)- I attended every Boston show and every time they performed City it got better and better........awesome song to see live
4. Out Of Control (Slane DVD)- spectacular performance and i love the story he adds during the song....just a wonderful portrayl of that song
5. The Superbowl Performance- all songs (especailly Streets)

Where The Streets Have No Name

(Live from Slane, but I now appreciate the recording and the video just as much... I saw it and didnt mind the song but didn't "get" it until Slane.. still probably one of my favourites)

Beautiful Day

(The hope in this song is indescribable. I remember in my senior year of High School the band/choir went to Disneyworld(when ur in fookin Winnipeg and you get to go to Florida its incredible) and it was basically what I had waited my whole senior year for, and after I had no idea what I was going to do... on the way back from the trip I listened to ATYCLB and this song still is the pinnacle of that album. The centerpiece if you will)

The Fly

(Just got it. The hard, low, sinister verses mixed with the beautiful chorus. The live performance takes it to the next level and I don't know how they could have made this song better. Just amazing)

Electrical Storm

(Again, the lyrics. This is U2 at its best. I cannot wait till the day they perform this. Hopefully Bono can still do my favourite part (the powerful opera like or whatever vocal during the 3rd pre-chorus) when they do decide to perform this.)

New Years Day

(Hard choice between this or any of the other 4 first half of War. I love most of the songs on the CD, but the first half is just incredible. I remember hearing this song on the radio and deciding U2 is in an incredible band. More than I already thought. I decided I definately had to try checking out there CD's... it only took me 2 years to get around to doing it :wink:)

Sting said:

(Live from Slane, but I now appreciate the recording and the video just as much... I saw it and didnt mind the song but didn't "get" it until Slane.. still probably one of my favourites)

Beautiful Day

(The hope in this song is indescribable. I remember in my senior year of High School the band/choir went to Disneyworld(when ur in fookin Winnipeg and you get to go to Florida its incredible) and it was basically what I had waited my whole senior year for, and after I had no idea what I was going to do... on the way back from the trip I listened to ATYCLB and this song still is the pinnacle of that album. The centerpiece if you will)

The Fly

(Just got it. The hard, low, sinister verses mixed with the beautiful chorus. The live performance takes it to the next level and I don't know how they could have made this song better. Just amazing)

Electrical Storm

(Again, the lyrics. This is U2 at its best. I cannot wait till the day they perform this. Hopefully Bono can still do my favourite part (the powerful opera like or whatever vocal during the 3rd pre-chorus) when they do decide to perform this.)

New Years Day

(Hard choice between this or any of the other 4 first half of War. I love most of the songs on the CD, but the first half is just incredible. I remember hearing this song on the radio and deciding U2 is in an incredible band. More than I already thought. I decided I definately had to try checking out there CD's... it only took me 2 years to get around to doing it :wink:)

my list would look pretty much looklike that, except without Electrical storm: I despise the song:wink:

One-first song i heard
Mofo-no words to explain
Beautiful day- first single
Vertigo-the most expected one
With or without you

1. One
2. Miss Sarajevo
3. When I look at the world
4. Who's gonna ride your wild horses
5. I still haven't found what I'm looking for

1. New Years Day - First Video and Song I ever heard.
2. Two Hearts Beat as One - Okay now I'm in Love.
3. Beautiful Day - Just lifts me up!
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday - live at Redrocks totally hooked
5. Sometimes - I can relate to a bad parental relationship.

1) "Discotheque"
2) "Bad"
3) "With or Without You"
4) "Pride (In the Name of Love)"
5) "Where the Streets Have no Name" (R & H)

1-One-Got me interested in their 90's work, without it i would still be a fan, just not die-hard, and I probably wouldn't have ever heard most of their 90's work.
2-Still Haven't Found What I'm looking for-Made me buy the Joshua Tree
3-With or Without You-Danced to this song with my sister at her wedding. It only expands the greatness of the song for me.
4-All Because of You-the song that truely was the reason that I bought how to dismantle an atomic bomb. W/O it, I would not be here
5-Beautiful Day-I had heard this song and liked, so after I bought how to dismantle, I bought atyclb, once I owned my second album, i was hooked.

1) Staring At The Sun - became addicted to this song from the moment I heard it back in 1997, ah the memories.

2) Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - no idea why, but I adored this song when I first heard it, first U2 song I ever heard I think.

3) Pride - heard it on the radio before a football match in some match build up thingy, thought the use of the song on the radio was tacky but loved the song itself.

4) Numb - never heard anything like it before, thought it was odd and bizzare... so therefore fell in love with the song.

5) Where The Streets Have No Name - as most people on here probably felt the first time they heard this song, it took my breath away, incredible.

1. One
I remember hearing this song when I was just three or four. My mom had just got divorced and she loved the song. It was on the radio a lot. Listening to it later struck a certain chord with me.

2. Discotheque
My mom forced me to listen to it. After I heard it for the first time, I was hooked for life. That's probably why I fuckin love Pop so much.

3. Do You Feel Loved
After listening to Discotheque 247636 times, I found out there were actually other songs on the CD... and holy shit, they were good too!

4. Mofo
It's a trio of awesomeness.

5. Beautiful Day
Around 1999 I started to not be as much of a U2 fan as I had been and was listening to basically top 40 radio - Backstreet Boys and such. Then BD came out and I was like "tight a new U2 song". The first time I heard it, I wasn't impressed much, but the second time it hit me. I don't think I ever stopped being an obsessive U2 fan ever since :p not only that but it basically defined my taste in music in general, I stopped listening to shitty pop music.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

I can remember the first time I ever heard this song, and I knew it was U2, it was on the radio and Bono's voice sounded great. I think this is my favourite song everything sounds perfect on it to me. Bono looks incredible on the video.

One

If only the whole world could listen to this song. I just don't understand why there is war and poverty, peace on earth - we need it now. Truth is when I hear this song, I want to put it so loud that at least the whole street can hear it, I've done that a couple of times recently!

Walk On

After having difficulties dealing with depression, this song makes me want to be on top, in other words not to give up. I've only recently listened to this so fully and properly, and I am really in love with it.

Beautiful Day

I listen to what Bono says. ''It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away''. A lot of days (should be every day) I think this to myself, as well as listening to it. I feel like everything is possible and this song kind of gets me on a high. I am very greatful for this song, it is one of a kind.

My favourite song at the moment along with 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own'. I think once or twice (can't really remember) I took my hair ribbon off so my hair looked like Bono's hair in the video (way longer than his though) and just sang the whole song. I really don't know how they made this song, it's like out of this world! I don't care what anyone says about this song, but it is PERFECT.

Lot of other songs could be on that list, but there you go.

Great thread by the way.

I just want to say Thank You U2, I love you, You are a true inspiration.

Last edited:
Studio:
1.The Fly
2.Where the Streets Have no Name
3.Gone
4.Stay(faraway so close)
5.Walk On

Live:
1.Where the Streets Have no Name
2.The Fly
3.Until the End of the World
4.Bad
5.Walk On

BAD - What can I say? The times I have had tears in my eyes when hearing this masterpiece are too many to count. Nothing comes close to a good or better yet great live version of this song. It allows, no, demands so much but gives back so much more. It has literally saved people's lives. I have heard of several instances where people were contempalting suicide or hanging off the edge from serious drug addiction and this song "broke through". I can believe it. If there was ever a song that God co-wrote with the band "Bad" is that song.

TOMORROW- To speak of where this song took me would consist of at least one fairly large novel. In the early 80's it was extremely rare that any band would speak of God and Jesus the way U2 do in Tomorrow. There is a power in this song that U2 never reached again. That's not to say they didn't write songs with much more power in thier career but there is a certain something in Tomorrow that I've never heard again.

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE - To this day this song still feels fresh to me. I just love it. It is a real shame they haven't done this live. I was lucky enough to see them in 1985 when they did perform it live. Wow.

RUNNING TO STAND STILL - Simply a beautiful song. One of U2's classiest moments.

GONE - There is something about this song that I just love. I don't even know what it is. Stupid eh?

Hi! New to this forum...:wave:

5. Where the Streets Have No Name (Super Bowl XXXVI) -This was the song that sealed the deal for me. I was late to the U2 party, due to my age, and became interested right before/during the release of ATYCLB. I loved the album, but was a bit sketchy on the band itself. Fast forward to the Super Bowl. I remember being sprawled out on the floor in front of my TV, remaining stock-still and dead silent as the boys did their three-song set. By the time Streets came on, I was in tears. Just…wow. It’s still impossible for me to put into words what that performance means to me.
I was lucky enough to see Streets performed live in person this past December and it was pure, wonderful, soul-splitting, gut-wrenching, makes-you-shiver-from-your-head-to-your-toes, musical bliss. I was literally bouncing completely off the floor for most of the song and even Bono was left breathless at its conclusion, summing the performance up in one word: “WOW!” Live is truly where Streets lives.

4. Numb (Studio) -Numb opened the gateway to all of U2’s more experimental tracks for me. The first time I heard it I was only familiar with ATYCLB, JT, AB, UF, and War. Numb was so different from anything I had heard musically at the time, and I fell in love with its bizarre, spacey-ness. It made me discover Zooropa, the Passengers, and Pop (MOFO:drool:). Numb also made me fall in love with Edge. I am unabashedly a Bono-girl, but this song always turns me into a cheater.:shh:

3. Sunday Bloody Sunday (Rattle and Hum) -Before I had ever watched Rattle and Hum, I ended up with a copy of the R&H Sunday on my computer. I still don’t know where I stumbled upon the track, but I do remember it was somewhere around the time I developed a passionate interest in politics and international affairs. This song became my anthem during the 2004 election and everything leading up to it. It was an angry time in my life and that speech that Bono gives can still stir me up into a rage after just one listen. A powerful track with a powerful message and the definitive performance of this song.

2. “40” (Live) -If SBS riles me up, then this is the song that brings me back to a picture of serenity. It never fails to calm me down and quiet the nagging noises in my head. One of my favorite songs to fall asleep to.

1. Walk On (Studio) -My favorite U2 song, hands down, and the one that turned me into a lifetime fan. I listened to it constantly after 9/11 and every time I listen to it reminds me of sleepless, endless nights in bed with only my headphones and U2 for company. Walk On will always be one of those songs that defines a period of my life, that captures a snapshot of what my world once was. It got me through the roughest patch I’ve ever hit and even now it’s the track I listen to when I’m tired, lonesome, and in desperate need of reassurance that, yeah, “every little thing’s gonna be alright.” Its also one of only two songs that never fails to make me flat-out sob. It’s my ultimate cathartic experience and my comfort song for any situation. Walk On will be the song I listen to when I leave my friends and family to live in Washington for the next four years-that’s perhaps the best way to describe its importance to me.

Runners-up: SYCMIOYO, One, SIAMYCGOO

wanderlusting48 said:

1. Walk On (Studio) -My favorite U2 song, hands down, and the one that turned me into a lifetime fan. I listened to it constantly after 9/11 and every time I listen to it reminds me of sleepless, endless nights in bed with only my headphones and U2 for company. Walk On will always be one of those songs that defines a period of my life, that captures a snapshot of what my world once was. It got me through the roughest patch I’ve ever hit and even now it’s the track I listen to when I’m tired, lonesome, and in desperate need of reassurance that, yeah, “every little thing’s gonna be alright.” Its also one of only two songs that never fails to make me flat-out sob. It’s my ultimate cathartic experience and my comfort song for any situation. Walk On will be the song I listen to when I leave my friends and family to live in Washington for the next four years-that’s perhaps the best way to describe its importance to me.

Holy shit. Very well put - I couldn't have said it better myself. It is so true that no matter how difficult life sometimes gets, I just listen to Walk On and the key lyrics:

And I know it aches
And your heart it breaks
And you can only take some much

I actually have a copy of those lyrics on a little piece of paper in my wallet. Read it from time to time.

SiW87 said:

Holy shit. Very well put - I couldn't have said it better myself. It is so true that no matter how difficult life sometimes gets, I just listen to Walk On and the key lyrics:

And I know it aches
And your heart it breaks
And you can only take some much

I actually have a copy of those lyrics on a little piece of paper in my wallet. Read it from time to time.

Thank-you:cute:

And yes, just yes...those lines are just heartbreakingly perfect. They never fail to get to me!

1) Walk On/Stuck in a moment- I've said it a hundred times by now, I'm sure, but I hated the very first U2 song I can recall hearing, which was Beautiful Day. However, from the moment I heard Walk On, I realizedthat there was a lot more to this group then I thought there was, and then they soon grew on me. (and I like BD now btw). Walk On's lyrics, just like those of you have said, have always made me feel like I can get through something. Stuck in a moment gave me the same feeling, and the two songs together were just what I needed to really get hooked on this band

2) The First Time- I don't know what it really is about this song. I've never been able to figure out why it is so timeless for me. But the very first time I heard it was when my mom got me best of 1990-2000 for Christmas and when I heard that song, and listened to those lyrics, it only further put U2 on a pedestal for me

I don't really have a reason for the next two, there's just something about them that makes U2 bigger and stronger for me
3) Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
4) The Unforgettable Fire

5) City of Blinding Lights (live)- This was the very first song I ever heard at my very first U2 concert, and that moment was when U2 really came alive for me. When Everyone was jumping up and down to the chorus and punching their fists in the air U2 finally became an irreplaceble favorite band for me

Noy in particular order:

Love Is Blindness - When I start listening to it I can't stop. Why? I don't know...

Miss Sarajevo - I think the verses "Is there a time for different colours diffrent names you find so hard to spell" says it all. Sometimes this song brings tears to my eyes, specialy live. I can't say how much I adore the lyrics and the melody... It's such a perfect fusion of love, equality, respect, war, terrorism... I don't know any other song like Miss Sarajevo. There are better songs, but this one is unique.

One - A lot of people already used this so I guess everything has been said. This song has a way into my heart.

Where The Streets Have No Name - What do I need to say about Streets?

Please - This one is part of my life since the first time I listened to it. How many people live on their knees? How many people forget what they stand for because someone told them so? How many live in fear? This song already helped me to get up a few times.

Can I add Original Of The Species? Or at least the first verses of the song.

1)"Streets"-The spirit of U2 in full glory.

2)"So Cruel"-So glad that this great song never was a single because ,at least, Radio airplay didn't kill it.

3)"The Fly"-Bono said it best."This is 4 guys chopping the Joshua Tree"

4)"Out of control"-When U2 played that song at my Elevation show on the 1st leg of that tour,it made me go back and have a good listen to "Boy"..made me realise how great of a first album that was.

5)"Bad"-Perhaps Bono's best vocal performance on a album.

1. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
2. Stay
3. Gone
4. Please
5. Out Of Control

1. New Year's Day
2. Pride( In the name of Love)
3. Bad
4. With Or Without You
5. Mysterious Ways

It is no hard to choose just five....
I have to mention OOTS, The Fly, Fast Cars, Mofo and Discotheque
:wink:

Last edited:
1. With or Without You - First U2 song that I heard when I was young and later instantly knew it was them whenever I heard it again. Possibly a perfect song and definitely the one that made me a fan so to speak. Found my Dad's copy of the Joshua Tree and listened to that track loads, then listened to the rest and was hooked instantly. Best album ever made.

2. Elevation - Same reason as above I think. I'd heard 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' before 'Joshua Tree' and after hearing 'The Joshua Tree' went and bought this album and still love it. But I first heard it when it came out and my Dad bought it, I listened to it loads and after hearing Beautiful Day lots on the radio and loving that, this track was a sort of breath of fresh air. Excellent stuff!

3. Zooropa / Lemon - U2's two best songs. The whole album saved my life on a holiday of total boredom and misery but these two tracks will always be my favourite. Completely changed me I think. My absolute two favourites!

4. I Will Follow - After 'Joshua Tree', 'All That You Can't Leave Behind', I got the Best of 80-90 and loved loads of the tracks. After getting 'Achtung' and 'Zooropa' I started to check out the early stuff, but I first heard 'I Will Follow' on the best of and it was completely different to the rest of the tracks on there. Using only the basics compared to Unforgettable Fire onwards, they still managed to make amazing music and this, along with the rest of 'Boy' and 'October', gives you yet another angle to view the band from.

5. Gloria - I got given 'Under a Blood Red Sky' on VHS by my Aunt and the only songs I knew were 'I Will Follow', 'New Year's Day' and 'October' from the best of, but Gloria stuck out like a sore thumb but in the best possible way. At the risk of going overboard it just had some sort of 'Raw Power' (*FUCKING CRINGE!!!*) a fantastic riff, superb rhythm! Loved it from the start and still love it now. Got 'October' and 'War' for my birthday a month or so later and was blown away! :wink:

god I went on a bit there...!

Back
Top Bottom