Tired of people thinking they know more or can do better than U2.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge1967

The Fly
I've seen it in many posts. People questions HTDAAB's production or the songs they put on it or what version is better. The bottom line is, U2 made these songs... They can't deside what songs go on the album, which versions THEY like and how THEY want to produce the album... Everytime somebody says "they should have done this" I can guarantee you that U2 have thought of that or just didn't want to go that way, and thats fine cause the band U2 is making the music here not you people... Just bugs me how some people are such know it alls.......

U2 are good, but they aren't infallible. This is a discussion board. Many people were very underwhelmed with recent U2 offerings. You are aloud to disagree, but just because U2 are rich and famous doesn't mean they are the only people in the world with artistic sensibilities.

This is kind of a slippery slope though - just because we aren't in U2 doesn't preclude us from having opinions on songs and albums. We have every right to have an opinion on how a song could be better or worse - I think the boundary of bad taste would be crossed, however, if U2 fan walked right up to a member of U2 and started to go off about the production of a song or an album...but to basically state that we should just shut up and listen is a dangerous idea.

Surely everyone who passionately discusses or disects a song or an album isn't an arsehole. It's not what you say it's how you say it in most cases. It's almost like saying no one should have an opinion on religion other than people who actually work in the clergy, and laypersons should never have opinions for change about the law because they are not lawyers and/or politicians and don't make the law.

U2 are not infallible musicians. No one is perfect. To just discuss pleasantries about a song/album and not delve into the intracacies of something...to never be allowed to offer one's own opinions on improvement basically puts duct tape over all our mouths, and to be honest, that's not a state I'd ever want to live in.

Of course they're not infallible, and those are some really good points. I suppose if U2 really did put out some cruddy stuff, I'd have a thing or two to vent about, but as it is, I think they've made some great moves, even if I don't like the odd song here and there. I respect them for what I see as being good work.

Of course they aren't perfect...but there does seem to be a plethora of negative critisiscm (sp) at times...that can be annoying. As long as it was constructive I wouldn't really mind....just my thoughts.

I have no problem with people analyzing everything about U2's work. It's just human nature really. However, I just hate if/when that gets in the way of enjoying it. Sure, maybe the mastering of the new album isn't perfect, but that shouldn't mean you can't enjoy the songs. I worry that if you start to over-analyze, you'll never be able to listen to the album without concentrating on the flaws.

A new U2 release isn't common, and it won't be an experience we'll be able to have over and over. I think when U2 does call it quits, we'd look back and be pretty disappointed with ourselves that we kept ourselves from enjoying some incredible experiences because we over-analyzed every little flaw.

The thing that kills me about seeing so many negative threads isn't that people have problems with the album, it's that they bring down people that are enjoying it.

I agree debate should not be stifled at all, and there is some overboard praise of the band on here...yet there is also quite a few people who register, slate the band for a few posts then vanish, and I think this is what bugs some people, including myself.

No no... not at all. I'm not saying we should just bow down to U2 and ignore their flaws. I enjoy reading analytical threads, I just think that there are some threads that go a little too far. For example, I saw a thread where someone was pointing out a problem with the album, and someone said that regardless of the problem, they enjoyed it. A few people jumped on that person, and tried to push their point farther. That's what I don't like.

Analysis is great, but I don't think that you should over-analyze something to the point where it ruins your listening experience of the album.

Last edited:
Sleep Over Jack said:
I agree debate should not be stifled at all, and there is some overboard praise of the band on here...yet there is also quite a few people who register, slate the band for a few posts then vanish, and I think this is what bugs some people, including myself.

That's exactly what I meant about all of the threads of negativity bringing others down. There have been a LOT of redundant threads bashing the band/album that have no basis. If someone wants to give a well-thought-out critical review of the band/album, I would fully welcome that. Just don't signup, post "U2 sucks" and leave without explaining yourself :)

right on

Well it seems as if I wasn't too far off when i started this tread. Like many people have said above, i don't mind people stating their opinions its just the over analysis that annoys me and its really not needed... I just want to enjoy the album for how it is, not how some "joe shmoe" things it was a huge mistake.

Re: right on

TheEdge1967 said:
Well it seems as if I wasn't too far off when i started this tread. Like many people have said above, i don't mind people stating their opinions its just the over analysis that annoys me and its really not needed... I just want to enjoy the album for how it is, not how some "joe shmoe" things it was a huge mistake.

well then don't read those posts or just don't take them so seriously

people have a right to overanalyze as much as they want, but in the end, who cares what they think?

All that matters is what the album means to you :)

I agree with the first post.

It's one think to say "I didn't like this or that" but it's a bit presumptuos to say "U2 SHOULD do this or that".
It's also annoying to see the same people all the time (you know who you are), posting in every thread, with the same negativity: ATYCLB and HTDAAB are "safe", they are mistakes, U2 is dead as a band, Bono's voice/lyrics are terrible...

Re: Re: right on

korczykp said:

well then don't read those posts or just don't take them so seriously

people have a right to overanalyze as much as they want, but in the end, who cares what they think?

All that matters is what the album means to you :)

Agreed. I don't read the negative shit. I think the people who slam U2 are fucksticks - especialy so called "fans". :madspit: They're probably the same aholes who download everything they can find but don't share it around.

It's POSSIBLE I have a less than glowing comment about something U2 has done (maybe...), but I don't see the point in discussing it.

Problem is, "U2's worst song" thread outnumbers "U2's best song" thread by probably 10-1 views/posts. People are fucked.

U2girl said:
I agree with the first post.

"U2 SHOULD do this or that".

Just a bit of a devils advocat (sp?) more than anything but...

why not? after all we are their customers. we are the one's who keep them in their good life (which bono has acknowledged many times). why shouldn't we have a say in the product we purchase?

Yes not to be daft but sometimes very famous and talented people can insulate themselves from everyone else's opinion to the point where they stop being self critical. ie George Lucas.

It's clear a choice was made between putting out a darker album and putting one out with crafted radio friendly singles. Bono himself wouldn't say that he writes the songs that they come from another place and U2 really just channels them. In my opinion on this last one U2 got all in the way of the song and decided to completely alter their organic forms which made them all a bit dull. Unfortunately that's what they got in their mind was "We need a hit first single." That's a bit simplistic but that's clearly the wrong thought to have.

They're really out there on their own. If they wanted to release an awful album of cowbells and scitars then they could and no one is really going to have the clout to stop them. I think them putting this out and having a lot of old fans say "This is mediocre catering to the LCD bland rock and you guys can do better." will make the band pause and go "Hmmm let's dream it up again."

If the only thing that meets any release of their album is "GREATEST THEY'VE EVER DONE MILES AHEAD OF EVERY OTHER ALBUM EVER." Then they become a band living off of their back catalog.

LiveFire said:
Yes not to be daft but sometimes very famous and talented people can insulate themselves from everyone else's opinion to the point where they stop being self critical. ie George Lucas.

It's clear a choice was made between putting out a darker album and putting one out with crafted radio friendly singles. Bono himself wouldn't say that he writes the songs that they come from another place and U2 really just channels them. In my opinion on this last one U2 got all in the way of the song and decided to completely alter their organic forms which made them all a bit dull. Unfortunately that's what they got in their mind was "We need a hit first single." That's a bit simplistic but that's clearly the wrong thought to have.

They're really out there on their own. If they wanted to release an awful album of cowbells and scitars then they could and no one is really going to have the clout to stop them. I think them putting this out and having a lot of old fans say "This is mediocre catering to the LCD bland rock and you guys can do better." will make the band pause and go "Hmmm let's dream it up again."

If the only thing that meets any release of their album is "GREATEST THEY'VE EVER DONE MILES AHEAD OF EVERY OTHER ALBUM EVER." Then they become a band living off of their back catalog.

Exactly.

No. 3.5 said:

why not? after all we are their customers. we are the one's who keep them in their good life (which bono has acknowledged many times). why shouldn't we have a say in the product we purchase?

Eh........no not really. Since when have U2 held a gun up to anyones head and told them to buy their albums?? I agree with the first post. It's one thing not liking the album......or even sayin it sucks I mean I'd respect that............It's another over and over obsessing about every little thing and how the fact that the band have their collective heads up their arses and for some reason have failed once again to make the exact album that fan x y or z wanted............or that they are playing it too safe or that it doesn't sound like this or that and they should have done this or that. I'm enjoying getting to know this album..........One day I'll decide whether it's a classic for me or not. If they took on board everyones ideas and so called expert opinions when they were makin an album.............that album would be some contrived and un-inspired piece of shite.

All you experts go and get it remixed the way you like it or use it as a frizbee or a coaster or something........and stop whining.

Some of you fans are over fanatical.......IMO

No. 3.5 said:

If U2 listened to all of their fans, they would never release an album as its impossible to please everyone.

How would you have a say in the product? When it comes out, it's kind of too late isn't it. Unless you thought U2 should invite fans into the studio and let them lecture how to make albums. I think after so long we can trust them to make good music.

U2 fans should have NO input in the recording of an album. An album is in essense the artists work and what they want to put in musical writing, if you will. It's our choice whether to listen to it or not and then make our own judgements about it. You dont go up to an author you like when they are in the middle of writing a new novel and say "hey, I'm going to buy this book when you are finished, so I think you should write this way or that way.." etc.

Back
Top Bottom