The Unforgettable Fire - Happy 20th Birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacobus

Refugee
01 OCTOBER 1984
the release of The Unforgettable Fire and what a great album this record still is...:applaud:

One of the best U2 albums! Great songs, and superb B-sides as well!

Three Sunrises should have opened the album!

hard to believe that a 20 year old album can still sound so fresh and inspired, but uf delivers. still my favourite after all these years.

Originally posted by
One of the best U2 albums! Great songs, and superb B-sides as well!

Great album, but I think "A Sort of Homecoming" was the best opening possible for the album.

Last edited by a moderator:
As one of the few here who actually remembers its release, I am starting to feel old :reject:

Agreed on A Sort Of Homecoming. Three sunrises wouldn't have fitted into that album anywhere, whatever the sequencing.

Well, unless they had put it on the album originally, then that's what we would think of as the normal song listing sequence:wink:

The Unforgettable fire is something outstanding, an awesome LP :bow:

The first time I listened it was in 1991, and I loved so much songs like "A Sort Of Homecoming", "Pride ( in the name of love", "Promenade", "Bad", "Elvis Presley and America" and "MLK". Then I loved "Wire", "The Unforgettable Fire" and "Indian Summer Sky". THe only song that I really don´t like is not an actual song, is a short instrumental track called "4 Of July", but the rest of the album is just fantastic :shocked:

Also that album showed a whole new U2, after 3 LP´s with similar sound, this album was breaking new, with Lanois and Eno productions :up:

A question to my friend The Edge:

What the hell are you waiting for remastered version of all these classics albums like "Boy", "War", "Unforgettable Fire", "Joshua Tree" and "Acthung Baby" ??? :yes: :lol: ;) :heart: :up:

Yeah, I blasted side one of the vinyl last night in anticipation, and I'll play side two and then the CD in the car tonight. I love every song, but in terms of underratedness, "Promenade" is the most unfairly marginalized song in their canon. It's gorgeous and ethereal - U2 at their best.

This album shows best Edge at his best, also contains best Bono´s voice ever on an album ( just hear songs like "Promenade", "Bad" or "Pride ( in the name of love )" :yes:

A Classic :heart:

It doesn't seem like 20 years!
It feels like it was only a couple of years ago I put away my Wham! albums (I was only 10!) and began an infatuation for U2 that would last as long as it has.
This is my most favorite U2 album because this is the album that introduced me to U2.
:heart:

Last edited:
My favorite U2 LP. Though it's rarely mentioned as a classic album, for me it is a true masterpiece, especially for it's surreal and spiritual quality. A Sort Of Homecoming is one of my all-time favorite songs.

Three of the best songs ever - A Sort of Homecoming, Pride (In the Name of Love), and Bad.

B000001FA4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Rousing and beautiful album. Pride used to be my favorite, but I have rediscovered A Sort of Homecoming and count it among the most beautiful songs U2 have ever written.

Originally posted by
and superb B-sides as well!

I think all of the B-sides are better than half of the album. The three sunrises is an amazing song, I love it so much and it would of been great on the album, but maybe it was too 'happy' for the album.....

and how funny this should come up as I only just watched today the Unforgettable Fire doco that is on the U2 Go Home DVD, or rather the 'making of pride'. Good doco, bad haircuts though:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom