The most underrated U2 song is....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seconds is much too underlooked, my guess due to it's unfortunate placement between two amazing hits. Seriously though, this may be my favorite of theirs.

Oh, I just thought of a great one: Indian Summer Sky

Also, I made a list of underrated songs on my Ipod:

1. Electrical Storm
2. When I Look at the World
3. Ultraviolet
4. MLK
5. One Step Closer
6. A Day Without Me
7. Downing Man
8. Indian Summer Sky
9. Summer Rain
10. Gone

The Playboy Mansion without a doubt. Also:

Stuck in a Moment
So Cruel
Promenade
Velvet Dress
One Step Closer

And can a song truly be underated when everyone agrees it is...?

Last edited:
WalkOn21 said:

The single version replaces the synthesizer bits with guitar. And the structure of the song is changed: the chorus is postponed until much later in the song.

Compare:
Electrical Storm (William Orbit mix) lyrics
Electrical Storm (Single Version) lyrics

Thanks. That first chorus part in the Orbit version w/ the guitar is my favorite part of the song, but there is no first chorus in the regular version. Do all of the chrous's in the regular version sound like the first one in the orbit mix?

I'd like to add Stateless to the list, which is more interesting musically than anything appearing on ATYCLB. It left me thinking U2 was going to go in yet another direction, until the tank shifted into neutral. An absolutely searing solo from Edge, and some jazzy rhythm work from "the other two".

Another vote for The Playboy Mansion, which gets derided a lot because of the pop culture references. It's a great example of U2 trying trip-hop, the beat & bassline kill, and I love the slide guitar. The last section of "then there will be no time for sorrow..." is just beautiful.

Another vote for When I Look At The World, a criminally underappreciated track that may be the best song on the album after Walk On, and really should have seen the light of day live. Its last minute change robbed WILATW of its penultimate track status, and buried it in the iffy second half of ATYCLB.

And finally a mention of North and South of the River, which turns up on B-Side discussions but to me is one of the VERY few non-album tracks that really is worthy of LP inclusion. Many b-sides don't have the lyrical strength because they aren't developed fully, but NASOTR has words in spades. The music would have blended right in with POP's other songs; modern yet filled with feeling. One of the band's most poignant tracks, something validated by the stripped-down live version on the Omagh tribute.

cjboog said:

Thanks. That first chorus part in the Orbit version w/ the guitar is my favorite part of the song, but there is no first chorus in the regular version. Do all of the chrous's in the regular version sound like the first one in the orbit mix?

I'd be happy to send you the regular version of the song. What is your e-mail?

cjboog said:

Do all of the chrous's in the regular version sound like the first one in the orbit mix?
Actually, they don't.

The first chorus in the Orbit mix has a different chord sequence than the choruses in the Single Version have.

Right now I'm hitting myself 'cause I was sure I had the chord sequence written down somewhere, but I can't find it. :banghead: ;)

Pero said:

Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me

I disagree, this song was pretty much one of their more popular '90s tunes, was played on the radio ad nauseum, and helped carry a great soundtrack

Drowning Man is probably their most underrated IMO

- not played live
- buried in the middle of 'War'
- amazing lyrics and execution
- I don't even think the band remembers this tune :wink:

what about when i look at the world? when i listen to it, i listen to it over and over.... and over.... for like 6 times. it's beautiful.

It depends on how you define underrated. Reading this and other fan sites I believe U2's most underrated song by far is "Bullet the Blue Sky". It takes the most bashing and then every concert tour it ends up being one of the highlights of the tour. That song's versatility in spreading U2's various political messages makes it a can't-miss at every concert.

I don't like the studio version, but studio is not what U2 is all about. U2 puts on the most amazing live shows on Earth and Bullet is a crucial part of those shows. I just hope they don't take much stock in these fan surveys that continually bash that song, especially after listening to Edge's awesome guitar solo with the jet flying behind on the video screen during the Vertigo Tour. They can do so much with that song. I hope they keep it in their shows forever.

End of rant.

Please add "Like A Song", "The Wanderer" and "New York" to your list of underrated songs.

I have to leave but when I get home I will put together a list of the top 20 U2 underrated songs based on how many times they have been mentioned in this thread

i think In A Little While is quite popular on here but it's underrated by the band themselves. I honestly think they should have released it as a single, possibly instead of Stuck In A Moment. It's such a great pop song and is really catchy. I've sent it to a couple of my U2-bashing mates and they both love it.

I think Two Hearts Beat As One is underrated on here. great bassline!

When I Look at The World
Great melody, great delivery of the lines by B-Man & quite unlike their other work.

Drowning Man
Another wonderful lyrical song. It is a more ethereal part of War, and is a great love song (that is how I percieve it).

New York
I think this was one of the best songs they performed live at Elevation. One of the few where it seemed they really "let go".

Tomorrow
One of the few celtic sounding songs, and a wonderful ode to Bono's mother.

A Day Without Me
Great musically and an interesting song in general

Stranger In A Strange Land
Not so great lyrically or in delivery, but I really love the music - the piano and the guitar is wonderful.

Do You Feel Loved?
One of the few "sexy" U2 songs around, I think I am gonna listen to it now lol. I remember being 16 and listening to this song on the way to school everyday.

Are You Gonna Wait Forever
I think this is a great B-Side and a fantastic Edge guitar piece.

Bass Trap
Simply wonderful...a rare example of U2 being mellow and instrumental - I really like it.

Love Comes Tumbling
My favourite Adam bassline

When I Look At The World and Peace on Earth are definitely underated. I also think Red Light is unfairly dismissed as a bad song, the worst on War? I don't think so! Surrender is great to but does not get that much attention.

Got Philk? said:
I agree with whoever wrote Some Days are Better than Others

Dood-this is my most played non-live U2 song! I didn't put it in because I love it too much to consider it underrated lol.
It sounds totally unlike anything else they have done...and Adam's bassline rocks!

catlhere said:
Basically anything off of October.

I've never seen any topiX about "Rejoice Appreciation Thread" or "I love I Threw a Brick!"

It's almost like the album everyone forgot. :(

I agree, October is the forgotten album with U2 fans, personally, it's one of my favorites from U2!

Back
Top Bottom