The folks at NME have heard the WHOLE CD!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tizer said:
Seems like the album could have the same momentum as ATYCLB with the second half being a little more reflective and understated.

makes sense...people aren't as pumped up later in the album for rock songs...they dont get the same impact...i think i remember a statistic/fact saying that most casual listeners on average never get passed the first 7 songs of an album before switching it off. you have to make your impact straightaway then allow the keener fans to keep listening....it's an old trick when making an album.....i cant wait for this album!!!! I'M PUMPED!!!!!!

Like the sound of Fast Cars. Looks like number 1 in Japan is a sure thing!

ericbunny said:

makes sense...people aren't as pumped up later in the album for rock songs...they dont get the same impact...i think i remember a statistic/fact saying that most casual listeners on average never get passed the first 7 songs of an album before switching it off. you have to make your impact straightaway then allow the keener fans to keep listening....it's an old trick when making an album.....i cant wait for this album!!!! I'M PUMPED!!!!!!

And you always put your killer single in at track 3.
Hmmm 'Sometimes You Can't Make It...."

biff said:
So, it looks like there's no instrumental, as was "rumoured"?:confused:

Given the way they briefly previewed each track, I wouldn't be too surprised if they just didn't mention it. I think you'll see... er, hear it :)

An unmastered one sent for review might not include an instrumental. It probably wouldn't get much of a review other than "and it's rounded out by a nice 30 second instrumental" so there's not much point. The Edge said there was an instrumental only a couple of days ago, so I'd say that's a *fairly* good indicator that there is one.

I wonder if there is anyway we could persude U2 to include the 'Fast Cars' track on all versions of the album. Its certainly the one that NME seemed most enthusiastic about.

hmmm...have we had a petition lately? ;) :)

dunno who knows this but you can pre-order the japanese veriosn (there are 2) of HTDAAB on www.eil.com

it'll cost you a small fortune though...

I've already got 2 versions on order...I suppose a 3rd wouldn't kill me if it comes to that, but it would be nice to vary how U2 get all my money lol :)

Spose it's another country's turn after the last album where we got the bonus track...

I'll certainly be ordering a Jap. copy aswell tho!
Just rushed out and bought the mag and read through it too. They don't seem to be dissing any of it 'Original Of The Species' sounds like a belter!:wink:

The Edge confirmed on another thread there will be an instrumental, he said it's burried in amoungst other songs (maybe a hidden track at the end?)

Judging from the review there are at least 4 or 5 rockers on this one! When was the last time U2 did that???!!!

Last edited:
What do you think of this :

1. Vertigo : Rocker
2. Miracle Drug : Rocker
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own : Ballad
4. Love and Peace or Else : Mid-tempo
5. City of Blinding Lights :Slow
6. All Because of You : Rocker
7. A Man and a Woman : Rocker
8. Crumbs From Your Table : Mid-tempo
9. One Step Closer : Slow
10. Original of the Species : Slow
11. Yahweh : low
12. Fast Cars : Up-tempo

So i think well have :

4 Rockers
2 ballads
2 mid-tempo
3 slow songs
1 up-tempo

I think the album's gonna rock more than atyclb but maybe not as much as some people think after hearing Vertigo.

What do you guys think?

i thought someone said that "Fast Cars" was going to be a "hidden" track on the US version of the album. is this not correct now?

i am glad that most songs are well over 4 minutes though. vertigo is the shortest, as expected. the longer, the better!

I think there is too much being put on U2 to make this album all rockers.
I mean it's great that it looks like it'll have it's fair share but it's not too critical. Besides, U2 is better when they create songs that are hard to stick into specific categories. Take Streets. Some would tell you that once it gets going its a rock song, while others would argue it's not, and that it's more spiritual than that.

Also, ABaby had:

rockers:
Fly
until the end of the world
zoostation (i think it goes here, once again, hard to figure)
acrobat

uptempo:
m. ways
even better
ultraviolet

ballad:
...wild horses
(you might put tryin... here)
so cruel

slow:
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
one
love is blindness

So we have:
4 rockers
3 uptempo
2 ballad
3 slow songs

that is the best album they ever made, and it's pretty even, so I wouldn't worry too much 'bout rockin'

Last edited:
digsy said:
dunno who knows this but you can pre-order the japanese veriosn (there are 2) of HTDAAB on www.eil.com

it'll cost you a small fortune though...

Holy heebiejeebies! I'd have to sell a kidney to buy that! :huh: [okay, slight exaggeration, but still...!!]

lol, who would have thought that A man and a Woman would be a rock song. Thought that was a ballad for sure. And I thought "Sometimes" was a "skyscraping rocker". Oh well, looks pretty good. Cant wait to hear the album now!!

Whoa... couple of big surprises on that review...
A Man and a Woman a rock song?! Didn't see that one coming... I'm very excited about City of Blinding Lights. Sure sounds very good. I find it strange that they called Miracle Drug heavy... It doesn't sound very heavy from that clip, but best not to judge anything from that horrible recordings. Unlike some, I like the Sometimes description. Been listening to Everybody Hurts a lot lately. LOVE the Original of the Species description. And for the biggest surprises - Fast Cars - the most exciting song with Middle Eastern infleunces???!!!!!! FUCK YEAH! I love Middle Eastern influences. Page & Plant's Most High, The Cure's new song Labyrinth... If this song is the way NME described it, I will be pissed at U2 for not putting it on the normal copies of the album...

Boy am I glad I started this thread!! It pays to be in a job where I scan all the music news every day!

THANKS for typing out the article!!!

that NIN reference is really confusing, maybe the intro has some industrial sounds and a few more throughout the song, but LAPOE is without a doubt a blues rock song, like a few other people here already said!!

Back
Top Bottom