the best U2 moment for you!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
what is the best thing U2 have ever done for you?
maybe, the first time you went to see them in concert, meet the band or anything else that U2 have done thats special to you!

for me, i havent seen them live before...i will go on the next tour however :yes:
right now, the thing thats special to me is the concert that i recently downloaded 2001-10-16, the show which was on my birthday....thats the only connection i have with the show....and what a great show it is!

Hooya. ZooTV 93 Principle and the promoter screwed up and I had shitty seats behind a huge arsed stack of speakers so they moved us to a roped off area at the front of the stage. They didn't exactly do this on purpose but it was great luck as no matter how I buy tickets, either through a remote ticketek location, online, over the phone, camping out etc, I always get crap seats.

I'll have to say it's gotta be between meeting Bono, getting his autograph and getting thanked in the album credits of Pop.

Just kidding of course. I think just listening to the music and feeling so incredibly moved by it is often a moment in itself. I remember listening to 'New Year's Day' somewhere around Christmas at night and just being so emotionally attached to the song.

Giving me some very special songs that I really needed. Giving me a lot of pleasure from listening to their music and looking at their pics, giving me a hobby to escape my horrible realities, and being close to Bono and Edge at the Baltimore concert (though I missed the meeting outside some fan got:sad: )

Sarajevo.

My first and only (we'll see about that next tour!!!) U2 concert. I wasn't a fan at all, but my cousin dragged me to it and needless to say it was amazing. Although being only 15 and not knowing the band well (ok, not at all), I didn't notice any flaws in the performance and sure thought that Lemon idea was cool!!!!!!!

I wish I had a memory like that after becoming a fanatic but no.... so I'll stick with that one!:D

Wow, my first concert was special, but, the best for me was during Popmart when my wife and I had gone to the first 2 shows at Soldier Field, then driven 2 hours home. Then as soon as we got home we looked at eachother and said, "We've got to go back for the third" We didn't have tickets or any money really, but the show wasn't quite sold out, so we figured we could pick up some cheap.

We waited in the normal spot where the band drives in to see if they would stop and talk and sign autographs. Larry and Adam both came by without stopping. And then bono came pulling in. He stopped and got out. and the 15 or 20 of there came up to him. He motioned us to sit under this tree and we all went over. He could barely talk and said his voice was really hurting. People asked a few questions and just thanked him, and some autographs were signed. He said how much he loved playing in Chicago and that he felt the tour had finally turned around here. After about 10 minutes he said he had to go, but asked if there was anyone who needed tickets. A few people including myself said yes. He said ok and then went back to his car talked to a few roadies got in and drove off. Five minutes later the roadies came out and gave people tickets who needed them.

The show was awesome, Bono blew the place away with a strong vocal performance and gave 110%. God I love this band. :)

Here are just a few...

*Being 9 years old, mesmerized by the WOWY video on Mtv, too young to know what the song was really about, but having a gut feeling that I was witnessing something special.

*Listening to Achtung Baby one Sunday night in May1992, on my walkman in my bed, and being completely blown away by the life force that was behind all those sounds in my headphones.

*The day ATYCLB came out, rushing out on my lunch hour, breaking the plastic off the cd, listening to as many songs as I could before going back to my office. Some of the songs on that album literally saved my sanity, my life.

*October 15, 2001: Chicago, Larry giving me and Kristina his drumsticks. One moment I will NEVER forget as long as I live.

October 31, 2001.

Started out with crap seats that looked GOOD on the ticket- first row, Edge side of the stage. Unfortunately, the heart came up so high at that end of the stage we had to stand on our seats to see in. A security guy told us after the opening band that the night before, they'd let our row into the heart because of that, but it had already happened at that point so it probably wouldn't that night. Still, standing on the chairs wasn't so bad, and Bono sang the end of Beautiful Day looking in my general direction. :faint: But then...During UTEOTW, someone came around with green checked bracelets. I saw him coming from a mile away, in the dark, and held out my wrist.

The rest of the show I was literally 6 feet from Edge. If I could pick ten minutes of my life to live over and over, I think it would be during the Bad/40/Streets segment of this show.

There are 2 moments that stand out in my mind that bring back memories so vivid it's like living the moment all over...

The first was when I listening to War not long after buying the album and a friend of mine called to say that she just got the album and made a big deal about it. It felt really great that I had been listening to it when she called and remember sitting their playing with the album cover. For some reason I knew that somehow U2 and their music would stay with me for a long time.

The second was the Elevation show and this is probably the U2 moment/memory that means the most to me even though it was just going to the show. I had been going through a very stressful few months before and the show came along at the perfect time. That night I got lost in the music and nothing else mattered or seemed to exist outside of the arena. Somehow after that I felt such a euphoria that I lived on it for days afterward and to the point that people noticed a difference. It was then that I realized that there has to be something truly special about the music and the men who make that music to be able to move people in such a way.

Wow...hmmm...

Unfortunately, I've never met anyone from the band or been at a concert of theirs, so I cannot put those into my list.

But I'd say the best U2 moments I can think of are:

-The way a verse from "Stuck In A Moment" helped me out with a crush-thank you, U2, for waking me up and having me snap out of the funk I was in.

-The way their lyrics and speeches express exactly what I think and feel. It doesn't matter if their words are about religion, war, love, peace, and so on-I always quote them, because they have put into words exactly what my feelings are about something.

Particularly with religion. It's so nice to have a band out there that understands exactly what it is people like and dislike about religion, and to hear them and realize that they have doubts and questions about religion, too, just like me. Whenever I listen to their songs that are more religion-oriented, I don't feel like I'm being preached to, and that's just great.

I hear the version of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" with the gospel choir...and that's the kind of spiritual experience I like, it makes me feel good, but it can make anyone who is there feel good, too. Even non-believers-they can take that song and use it to mean whatever works for them. They won't feel alienated if they're a part of that kind of an experience.

Yeah. It's just great.

-Hearing "Angel Of Harlem"-that is the song that got me interested in them in the first place.

Angela

bayernfc said:
Sarajevo.

My first and only (we'll see about that next tour!!!) U2 concert. I wasn't a fan at all, but my cousin dragged me to it and needless to say it was amazing. Although being only 15 and not knowing the band well (ok, not at all), I didn't notice any flaws in the performance and sure thought that Lemon idea was cool!!!!!!!

I wish I had a memory like that after becoming a fanatic but no.... so I'll stick with that one!:D

that is also one of my favourite U2 preformances!!, having recently got it on vcd, i'm able to see just how good it was!

They helped me sing my mother "home." Two summers ago my mother was in cardiac ICU for a month after a botched bypass surgery. Most of the time she was not "there", on a respirator the whole time. Many times when I was going to see her or leaving, "Walk On" would be on the radio and it became my anthem. It was what put the steel in my spine and kept my knees from buckling during those 3 trips a day. She died July 18, 2001.

U2 started their 3rd leg of Elevation at Notre Dame University, a smaller university in NE Indiana. They sold tickets to the student body first, then put the rest out on Ticketmaster. Somehow, both my sister and I ended up snagging 2 tickets. We believe it was a miracle.

The auditorium was the college basketball arena -- 10,000 people at most. We were behind the stage but close enough to see their faces. My sister totally freaked when they came out, "Larry! Adam! Edge! Bono!" We never sat down the whole night. We danced, we hollered, we cried, we sang our mother home with U2's help.

At this concert, during "Angel of Harlem" Edge started down to the tip of the heart, as usual, but Bono came up on the landing at the back and called Edge back to join him there. They sang at our feet -- I always think of that as our gift from Bono.

swandiver said:
They helped me sing my mother "home." Two summers ago my mother was in cardiac ICU for a month after a botched bypass surgery. Most of the time she was not "there", on a respirator the whole time. Many times when I was going to see her or leaving, "Walk On" would be on the radio and it became my anthem. It was what put the steel in my spine and kept my knees from buckling during those 3 trips a day. She died July 18, 2001.

:hug:.

Sorry about your loss. :(.

Angela

Thank you, Angela. We just passed the 2nd anniversary and U2 is still helping us, believe me. And it makes me laugh to think -- I am a mother of an adult U2 fan who was royally pissed that I got to go to that concert and she didn't -- she lives in Florida. So I have promised her, next tour, I'm coming to Florida and will go with her.

swandiver said:
Thank you, Angela. We just passed the 2nd anniversary and U2 is still helping us, believe me.

You're welcome. And that's great to hear.

It's like a hug from them, I think. :).

Thanks, U2, for making people feel better.

Originally posted by swandiver
And it makes me laugh to think -- I am a mother of an adult U2 fan who was royally pissed that I got to go to that concert and she didn't -- she lives in Florida. So I have promised her, next tour, I'm coming to Florida and will go with her.

Good deal. Hope you guys get to go, and have fun when you do.

Angela

all of these stories are so wonderful.

one more thing. if i was not a U2 fan, i would not have joined interference. so another thing the band has done for me was to bring me here, where i have met some of the craziest, most wonderful people.

:heart:

lets see... any concert i went to would be up there, first one for sure which was popmart colombus ohio. 2 other shows really stick out. i saw elevation 5 times but id say the first chicago show 0n may 12 of 2001. i had tix that said behind stage , limited view. i ended up right behind the stage, second row, center. and then i wen to the notre dame show. it was great for obvious reasons, first show since 9/11, the nypd, and nyfd that were at ground zero came on stage during walk on.

Rickfly, you were at Notre Dame! I have been trying to find others who were there to see how that concert affected them! For me, it was a life-altering moment and I truly felt that "God was in the room" that night. Do you still carry that concert with you every day?

The best moments maybe are:

The fist time that I listened Pride(In The Name Of Love), it was the song that got me into U2, my english wasn't very good at that time, but i knew that song was something really important and meaningful.

The day ATYCLB came out'. My dad bought it for me. He picked me up after school and I remember the moment when the cd went into the radio and Beautiful Day started to play. I was gone, i was like in another dimension. And then listening to the album every night, lying in the dark, worshiping sound.

They also helped me to go through the suicide of a very close friend 6 months ago :sad: .in their songs i find the support every time that I need it.

I think those are the most important moments

bonosgirl84 said:
there's a moment...during the opening of bad.
every time i hear it, i am fourteen again.

loved this, and I agree...

Mine is a three-way tie of meeting them outside Irving Plaza, the first show I went to in 1987, and front row seats at Yankee Stadium.

all good..moments, weeks, years....... decades now.

there have been so many
my luck was in both times I saw them live in Australia. I think the Popmart experience was the best:faint: I still have trouble believing it happened.. it's a toss up between hugging my two girlfriends as we danced to U2 LIVE, or that moment when I clapped eyes on Edge in THAT suit and he sang Sunday Bloody Sunday , solo, just a matter of feet from where I was standing....so delicately beautiful, it's etched in my memory.
I'll die content with that:)

**cass daydreams**
YEP,
it's still there
U2 :heart:

Thinking back...thinking back...

I can remember the first time I ever saw them. I was at a friend's house, right when MTV had begun, and I was 12 or 13 at the time and New Years Day was on and I just wondered "Who are THEY?"

Even though, when I was a young teenager, I went through all sorts of musical experimentation, they were always in the background...and then, when I was 16/17, they pushed their way into my line of sight. They were around then right when i was starting to "become a person" and gain knowledge of the world, and it's because of them, in some ways, that I am interested in politics and the world. Thanks to them for that.

Oh, and THE moment for me was the first moment at the ZOO TV show in Vegas in '92. We were outside in the cold, waiting, waiting for the show to start, standing on our seats and trying not to fall and then I saw the silhouette of Bono against the static of the big TV screens. I had that moment when I realized that they were REAL...real.

And I have tiny moments every time I am in the car and switch the radio station and catch any U2 song--I have to believe that it's being played just for me, a message.

:heart: them...

swandiver said:
U2 started their 3rd leg of Elevation at Notre Dame University

same name as my school, excpet its not a University, and you done need to be "loaded" with money to go there
but theres gota be some connection with me there

There's been 20+ great years of U2 moments for me. Going to see them at Yankee Stadium during the ZOOTV tour was very special, especially because I am a big Yankees fan. At one point Bono was singing "I dreamed I saw Joe DiMaggio/Dancing with Marilyn Monroe." That was probably the extent of what Bono knew about the Yankees--one of their players had been married to Marilyn Monroe! I thought it was really cute.

One more recent moment was while I was watching them on the 2001 Grammies. Watching them accept their awards for "Beautiful Day," I was so elated for them...I felt like I was watching old friends who had been away, but had returned. During one award presentation, I was standing in front of my TV set, just watching with a huge grin on my face, feeling so very happy for them.

Just this year, I was at Bono's NY Times Talk, and I watched as he danced with a woman who'd had the nerve to ask him for a dance. All I kept thinking as I watched them was, "Oh, I wish that was me!" The emotions that man stirred up in me...there is no one else like him, and we are so lucky to be living in a world that has Bono in it.

Back
Top Bottom