the bass in "Levitate"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
Up until a couple of days ago, I hadn't thought of burning the Unreleased tracks to a CD. When I did, a song that I had originally thought to be rather mediocre (Levitate) became a hundred times better through the simple use of headphones! Adam is doing some AMAZING stuff just before and during the "to be the bee and the flower" part. It's not mindblowing from a technical viewpoint, but it just sounds so cool. You can't appreciate it on computer speakers, so if you have a burner/iPod, do yourself a favour and listen to the song through headphones. You can also pick up some of Edge's more subtle stuff that way (the guitar in the song actually has a Zooropa album feel about it sometimes).

On a related and broader note, I feel that Adam's bass work really has been improving more and more, ever since Pop. He had some stand-out tracks in the past (NYD, Lemon, etc.) but recently, he's just become a much more solid bass player, particularly on HTDAAB. Two thumbs up for the jazz man. :up: :up:

GibsonGirl said:
On a related and broader note, I feel that Adam's bass work really has been improving more and more, ever since Pop. He had some stand-out tracks in the past (NYD, Lemon, etc.) but recently, he's just become a much more solid bass player, particularly on HTDAAB. Two thumbs up for the jazz man. :up: :up:

Couldn't agree more:yes:

I love "Levitate". I'm sad now that I know that it didn't get into the final tracklist of ATYCLB, because is a very bluesy-dance-pop-rock song with original lyrics.
I like very much too the structure of the song and if you pay attention the bass-line is EXACTILY the same as Salomé, with the difference (I'm not sure) that it is played in a lower key-note.
Very nice song...

I love Adam's bass playing and would never change a note he's done.

...but he ain't no jazzman, despite Bono's nickname for him.

Actually, the basslines for Levitate, Salome, and Zoo Station are all very similar, though Salome is an early incarnation of Zoo Station.

To be the bee and the flower" ?

Was "Levitate" another name for the song "Always" ? because "Always" has that line in it.

I think Adam has a solo at the very beginning of "Always."

Actually, there's a line from Miracle Drug there too (the infamous "scent of a baby's head" line)... BTW, there part after the first "Levitate" reminds me a lot of Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car.

thrillme said:

Was "Levitate" another name for the song "Always" ? because "Always" has that line in it.

I don't know, but it has also got the "freedom has a scent, like the top of a newborn baby's head" line from Miracle Drug in it.

Bono just rips himself off a lot.

"A Man and a Woman" has the "a soul needs a soulmate" lyric from "Always," but that doesn't make "Always" an early version of it. Neither is "Acrobat" an early version of "Zooropa" and "Always"...

Back
Top Bottom