The 3 Phases Of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Does anyone else have the feeling that All that you cant leave behind signifies the beginning of a third phase of u2's music

The 1980's u2 is as everyone knows in stark contrast to 1990's u2 and u2 embarked to revolutionise their music.

The 1980's u2 followed a basic rock n roll style

The 1990's u2 followed the implementation of experimental use of modern musical techniques and proved just as successful as the kind of music u2 produced in the 80's.

The release of atyclb in 2001 revealed a more musically stripped down u2 and they were just as successful as in previous decades.

Electrical stomr and hands that built america suggest that u2 are maintaing the sound they employed on atyclb.

i am curious to see whether u2 lyrically and instrumentally adopt a similar sound to their previous 21st century material and wonder if u2 are deliberatley trying to change there sound as each decade passes

im not saying that ALL u2 80's music is the same (boy and rattle and hum are indeed very different) or that all 90's u2 music is the same, its just u2 appear to be audaciously altering at the change of each decade.

Just one of my observations and i admire u2 for these actions

it?s not a third phase, it?s a fourth phase

1st phase: boy - war (punk rock..ok post punk)
2nd ?phase: UF - R&R (rock with folk, gospel, country, blues, whatever)

3rd phase: AB-Pop (guitar dance)

forth phase ATYCLB

Hm... I've always thought of it as 3 "phases" or whatever you want to call it, but Felipe brings a good point on the Early years being punk (sort of).

I do think that the new U2 sound will be similar to ATYCLB, and continue the phase that ATYCLB started. I stll hope for a Rattle & Hum mixed with Achtung Baby type sound. That would rock the house! The albums were, Faraway, So Close!

Back
Top Bottom