SYCMIOYO alternate version is nice!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snutes1

Acrobat
I like the "Zooropa" like groove of Sometimes in the alternate version. I like the more gritty sound of the alternate version than the more polished, radioesque sound of the album version. Maybe I like the alternate version better because the album hasnt hit me with the same kind of fervor as a lot of us in this forum. Its about my sixth favorite song from the album.

check out the alternate yahweh thread in the where the album has a name thread

I've only heard the 30 second clip on Itunes. I almost don't want to hear the complete song, because the clip just pisses me off. It has so much more mood and tension. Those strings are gorgeously cinematic, and that guitar sound is much more dramatic than the album version. The mood almost belies the meaning, but that's OK. I'm in love with a 30 second clip and I curse whoever decided to put the "other" song on the album. Another example of U2 outthinking themselves. The All Because of You clip is better than the album song too.

LPU2 said:
Those strings are gorgeously cinematic, and that guitar sound is much more dramatic than the album version.

I think the album version of Sometimes is better because the vocal on the album version carries the drama and and the "cinema." I think they made the right choice in stripping down the music and letting the singing carry the emotional weight of the song.

I really like the alternate version of SYCMIOYO. It reminds me of AB, it's dark, almost a little retro but the riff is very... new, I don't know what's the word to use. Anyway, it reminds me a bit of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses but with a more old school kind of thing going on, almost Frank Sinatra like. The album version is great too but it's too striped down. I like the the guitars during the verses. :evil:

I think the opening of it is awful - sounds like some cheesy George Michael number, circa the Wham years. That sound is all well and good, but given the tone of the song, I think they did right in going for album version.

the album version is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better

the only thing I like more about the alternate is the guitar during the chorus... but the song is nothing without the "can you hear me when I" buildup before the SIIING... the SING in the alternate just comes out of nowhere and isn't nearly as powerful

The album version is much better but the Alternate version definatly has some nice sound to it as well just goes to show you how great a band U2 is.

I like the early version because it's different and has a Zooropa feeling, but the best for me is live version (and I'n not talking about the TOTP version :wink:)

The chorus for the alternate misses the great "And it's you" moment though -- Lillywhite's right on the DVD when he says that the line "Sometimes you can't make it" is the end of a hook, not the hook itself. The album has the hook, which I think is one of the most sublime soul moments of any U2 album. When Bono hits that falsetto....bliss.

at first i was liking the chord progression in the verse better in the alternate version. after a bunch of listens though, U2 definitely did the right thing. The album version kicks way more ass.

Yes, the album version has much more power emotionally. The beginning of the alternate version makes me think of a James Bond theme, and we know they've already done that!

korczykp said:
the album version is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better

the only thing I like more about the alternate is the guitar during the chorus... but the song is nothing without the "can you hear me when I" buildup before the SIIING... the SING in the alternate just comes out of nowhere and isn't nearly as powerful

AMEN! Couldn't have said it better.

let's just say I'm glad Steve Lillywhite came along and helped produce this new version. It's a very good track, the alt. version is rather mediocre imo.

Help!

Help - I feel like an idiot (said with Ren and Stimpy-like accent) . . . I haven't heard any of the "alternate" versions of the new-ablum songs.

Can someone please email me some Usendit links to these gems . . . PLEASE!

Thanks in advance - Ben O.

boneal@juno.com

I wouldn't say that the alternate version of SYCMIOYO is better than the finished product. However, I would say that I like listening to the alternate version almost equally. First off, the augmented chords in the alternate version bring about tension to the verses that is not present in the finished version.

I also do prefer the lyrics in the finished version over the alternate version. Still, I'm glad I was given the opportunity to listen to this alternate version.

Back
Top Bottom