Surprising Places to Hear a U2 Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was browsing at Chapters, when all of a sudden Vertigo comes over the speakers! I had to suppress a fit of giggles, and was a bit disappointed when the song started to end, but then ANOTHER U2 song came on. I think that whoever was controlling the music was a U2 fan because there was a good half hour of straight U2. Sigh, it was a good day.

Not so much a surprising place, but more of a surprising song.

I used to frequent a bar in the UK when I lived over there. The bar owner seemed to have a fixation for "When you wear that Velvet Dress" as practically every time I was there it seemed to be played. It wouldn't really be considered one of the "big" U2 songs or one that you would be likely to hear played in a bar.

I heard "Electrical Storm" on the radio when I was at work one night ... weird they usually only play WOWY or ISHFWILF.

A few weeks earlier I heard "Mysterious Ways" on the same station.:wink:

The OC episode with Sometimes in the background was definitely not random. It was purely subtle product placement targeting the coveted demographic which has advertisers drooling over the OC. Just another part of the HTDAAB marketing blitz.

I've heard U2 in some pretty random places but the most unexpected time I heard/saw U2 was in a bar on St. Laurent in Montreal called the Lodge. The owner of the bar is apparently a huge U2 fan and had both the Elevation DVD and later the Slane DVD playing on loop on a huge plasma display above the bar for the entire night.

I walked in another night though and Waterworld was playing on the plasma. I never went back to the bar.

I walked into a bar once way out in the boonies, a dive of all dives, and I kid you not, PARTY GIRL was playing.

As it turns out, they had loaded the jukebox incorrectly and the 1980-1990 B-sides cd was in the spot where, again can't make this up, Foreigner's Greatest Hits was supposed to be. So, whoever put in their quarters to hear Jukebox Hero or Blue Morning, Blue Day must have been a bit confused...

I was psyched.

at school today we had an assembly on being careful driving, etc. bc a lot of kids had died lately from drunk car crashes. as they showed the faces/names of the kids who had died, they played sometimes you can't make it on your own

I mentioned earlier about hearing "Wild Honey" at a Rangers game a few years ago. Well, yesterday, at Opening Day, they started playing one of the Vertigo remixes in between innings.

Someone with the Texas Rangers must like U2.

I was watching ESPN and there was a cheerleading competition of some sorts, before i turned it off i heard a snippet of Vertigo in one of the mixes

Not long after JT came out I was in church on a warm, spring day. The windows were open. During the service you could distinctly hear With or Without You being played from somewhere nearby - the entire song, not just a bit of it as if it were from a passing car. I assume it came from someone's stereo turned way up in the house next door. The funny thing is I can't remember hearing any other songs so they must have turned the stereo down after WOWY.

At any rate it was a beautiful moment that I will always treasure.

my favourite bookstore in town has a habit of playing very good music. one day i wandered in, feeling a little blue, looking for a good book, and they were playing the bomb in entirety. the week before they were playing the garden state soundtrack. someone on staff has good taste in music.

bizarre u2 tune spotting: our local health care system has a new commercial out and the music is the opening melody to 'falling at your feet'.

How 'bout ... while shopping in the grocery store !!
That's when I hear U2 music ... It's actually kinda funny to be standing in the produce section ... squeezing the fruits and vegetables (checking for freshness ... ripeness) and hear the song
"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" playing on their PA system !! :laugh:

Bono's shades said:
I was sitting in the waiting room of the local Chevy dealer a couple months ago, eating a sandwich while waiting for the mechanics to change the oil in my car when I heard "With or Without You" on the radio.

Hi!

U2 at the Chevy dealer for an oil change? What did they charge you? Mine was $70.00 {of course, they checked the air in the tires so of course, I didn't mind it.}...but come to think of it I think I did hear a U2 song while I was waiting but I'm always hearing music anyway.

:wink:

carol
wizard2c
:|

wizard2c said:

Hi!

U2 at the Chevy dealer for an oil change? What did they charge you? Mine was $70.00 {of course, they checked the air in the tires so of course, I didn't mind it.}...but come to think of it I think I did hear a U2 song while I was waiting but I'm always hearing music anyway.

:wink:

carol
wizard2c

The oil change was free (well, sort of). I bought my car at that dealership, and free oil changes were part of the deal as long as I took it there to get the job done.

If you are paying $70 for an oil change, that is way too much. Even before I got this car I was only paying about $25 tops.

prisz25- I work at a Starbucks here in Charlotte, NC and that cd has 5 U2 songs on it!
-New Years Day
-Gloria
-Pride
-Two Hearts Beat as One
-WTSHNN
Lets just say that cd gets a fair spin... whenever I'm working:) Unfortunately its a Hear Music system we have, so the cds aren't functional on regular cd players.

dandy said:
my favourite bookstore in town has a habit of playing very good music. one day i wandered in, feeling a little blue, looking for a good book, and they were playing the bomb in entirety. the week before they were playing the garden state soundtrack. someone on staff has good taste in music.

The garden state soundtrack is AWESOME! I love that movie. When mixed with u2, great taste indeed!

Was walking jetlagged up the main street in Montreal when I heard a band playing UltraViolet! Walked up the road and transpired it was a Quebecois U2 tribute band whose lead singer spoke in French but sang in English. The most surprising thing of all was they were brilliant! Played loads of well-known, and like the above, less well-known songs

Tonight in the supermarket, Beautiful Day.

You can imagine my pissoffness when the soaring middle bit was obliterated by a price check. I was singing along so nicely....

:mad:

About a month ago I was in K-Mart and heard The Ground Beneath Her Feet, not a song you hear too often in the US. What is even stranger, after I left K-Mart I went to Big-Lots, which is sort of a dollar-store in the Northeast, where I heard Crumbs From Your Table, I was really shocked that morning.

Many times when I go to the grocery store, there is a U2 song playing.

A couple of weeks ago sky sports were doing an advertisment on TV for a tournament of some sort, what it was escapes me now but the background music was 'the unforgettable fire'! it's rare to have a U2 song soundtrack this sort of thing anyway, especially one that's pretty much unheard of if you are not a U2 fan and is over 20 years old. and it's in my top 3 U2 songs ever which made it even better!

I was at the hairdresser's and New Year's Day came on, but she started the hairdryer right in the middle :(

ewe2 said:
The OC episode with Sometimes in the background was definitely not random. It was purely subtle product placement targeting the coveted demographic which has advertisers drooling over the OC. Just another part of the HTDAAB marketing blitz.

If you've ever heard the music played on the O.C, you'd find it random. Yes, I'm assuming that you don't watch it often. The music of the O.C. is known to be fresh, indie, and out there. You're not supposed to know the band's name, but when you hear the song, you want to.

Summing it up, it was surprising as a fan of the O.C. to hear a U2 song -- not to hear, as a fan of U2, their song on the O.C.

P.S. It was perfect placing in my opinion. I can't think of a better song to fit the moment.

Last edited:
AdamsPoptart said:
Some station played Pride at my dentist office.I couldn't sing along being all NUMBED up.lol.

Had they been playing 'Numb', I would have laughed at this...:wink:

Why, just this afternoon I heard 'Crumbs from Your Table' at Braums(an ice cream store). You could have knocked me over with a feather!!!

Bono's shades said:

The oil change was free (well, sort of). I bought my car at that dealership, and free oil changes were part of the deal as long as I took it there to get the job done.

If you are paying $70 for an oil change, that is way too much. Even before I got this car I was only paying about $25 tops.

Hi!

Yeah $70 is a lot for synthetic oil but when you bring in a 2005 Vette...what do you expect? Well..my car and I are a team......I give it what it needs and it plays back U2 songs for me.

Actually they charge just about that much at the Saturn dealer.

carol
wizard2c

At Nine West shoe store. Stuck in a Moment came on which happend to be my son's favorite song at the time. He was 4 and started singing in the middle of the store out loud. I remember everyone just stopped and turned to look at him. And I just turned completely red........I was secretly proud of course.

U2jer said:
prisz25- I work at a Starbucks here in Charlotte, NC and that cd has 5 U2 songs on it!
-New Years Day
-Gloria
-Pride
-Two Hearts Beat as One
-WTSHNN
Lets just say that cd gets a fair spin... whenever I'm working:) Unfortunately its a Hear Music system we have, so the cds aren't functional on regular cd players.

WOW!!! I would play that over and over again! When I go to Starbucks next time I will definitly keep an ear out for Two Hearts :drool: and Streets:drool:

Back
Top Bottom