Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #101
Refugee
 
Pamelakellett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Larry Mullen`s drumkit
Posts: 2,392
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aMansAman View Post
So I am rather a 90s U2 fan. Don‘t like much of post 2000 U2. But I really like Songs of Innocence.

So today I had my first two listens of Songs of Experience. I knew there would be some interesting songs to discover according to your reviews here.

OK what can I say as my first impression? I sobbed during a bunch of songs. Not necessarily out of sadness but I did not expect SOE to be that good. Light, airy and fluffy but so deep going at the same time.

For the moment I am in love with SOE
I love this album....pleased to say its amazingly good...thank god! A few of the songs have bits where I think I`ve heard that before but cannot place it.
__________________

Pamelakellett is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #102
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Yo View Post
U2 are earnest, defiant, and as epic as ever on Songs of Experience: EW review | EW.com
http://ew.com/music/2017/12/01/u2-so...nce-ew-review/



This one gets it right.
__________________

Irvine511 is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 26,933
Local Time: 04:39 PM
U2 is getting a lot of really good reviews today. Wow.
mikal is online now  
Old 12-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,669
Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
U2 is getting a lot of really good reviews today. Wow.


Yeah 100% it looked like the tide was turning yesterday when a few average to bad came out one after another. But there definitely in the minority now. Easily 80% really good 20% average/bad
rennowba is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,077
Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aMansAman View Post
So I am rather a 90s U2 fan. Don‘t like much of post 2000 U2. But I really like Songs of Innocence.

So today I had my first two listens of Songs of Experience. I knew there would be some interesting songs to discover according to your reviews here.

OK what can I say as my first impression? I sobbed during a bunch of songs. Not necessarily out of sadness but I did not expect SOE to be that good. Light, airy and fluffy but so deep going at the same time.

For the moment I am in love with SOE
Wow. We are very similar.
I mentioned a few days ago that I started crying during red flag day, not from the lyrics but from the fact that it was so good. Sort of a release after the build up of waiting for the album

Cried to 13 and Landlady the last two days.
Deep album and hitting me hard
womanfish is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #106
ONE
love, blood, life
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 10,663
Local Time: 02:39 PM





I’m quite pleased. Also my local record store opens at 11am now. Grumble grumble.
david is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #107
Refugee
 
hasin73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangladesh.
Posts: 1,462
Local Time: 03:39 AM
SOE is U2's true POP. It's massive yet intimate, joyful with sadness flowing beneath.
hasin73 is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #108
New Yorker
 
Peterrrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Örebro in Sweden
Posts: 2,861
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post
Wow Larry looks miserable
What interview is it when Larry and Edge sit togheter and the interviewer asks about SOA? Larry gets really frustrated that Bono have talked to much,,,.
Peterrrrr is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:13 PM   #109
Refugee
 
hasin73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangladesh.
Posts: 1,462
Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Yo View Post
U2 confronts the dinosaur within on new album 'Songs of Experience' | Chicago Tribune
Note: 2.5/4
U2 confronts the dinosaur within on new album 'Songs of Experience' - Chicago Tribune
Good review and he seems genuinely in love with Adam's bass. But I think he didn't listen SOI. He mentioned Adam was absent or had low presence in SOI when in fact SOI's main strength is Adam with groovy and thundering bass line.
hasin73 is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #110
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 161
Local Time: 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasin73 View Post
SOE is U2's true POP. It's massive yet intimate, joyful with sadness flowing beneath.
Nicely put.
ChurchBay is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
KUEFC09U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,369
Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Wow. We are very similar.

I mentioned a few days ago that I started crying during red flag day, not from the lyrics but from the fact that it was so good. Sort of a release after the build up of waiting for the album



Cried to 13 and Landlady the last two days.

Deep album and hitting me hard


Honestly cried during little things and 13
KUEFC09U2 is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #112
The Fly
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 296
Local Time: 02:39 PM
I know it is supposed to be a fluffy, cut-and-paste mess, but Best Thing still gets me to smile. It isn't the best song on the album...by about 2/3rds. But the lyrics are awful heady for a throwaway pop song. I have the world, but my love doesn't care about that shit, and she is the best thing about me, but I can't stop chasing this shiny stardom, no matter how much I love her. That's pretty heady stuff...I like reading the verses more like a paragraph...


When you look so good, The pain in your face doesn’t show. When you look so good, and baby, you don’t even know. When the world is ours, but the world is not your kind of thing. Full of shooting stars, brighter as they’re vanishing


I been crying out, “ How bad can a good time be?” Shooting off my mouth, that’s another great thing about me. I have everything, but I feel like nothing at all. There’s no risky thing for a man who’s determined to fall.

Wide Awake n AZ is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #113
Refugee
 
TinKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 1,025
Local Time: 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Awake n AZ View Post
I know it is supposed to be a fluffy, cut-and-paste mess, but Best Thing still gets me to smile. It isn't the best song on the album...by about 2/3rds. But the lyrics are awful heady for a throwaway pop song. I have the world, but my love doesn't care about that shit, and she is the best thing about me, but I can't stop chasing this shiny stardom, no matter how much I love her. That's pretty heady stuff...I like reading the verses more like a paragraph...


When you look so good, The pain in your face doesn’t show. When you look so good, and baby, you don’t even know. When the world is ours, but the world is not your kind of thing. Full of shooting stars, brighter as they’re vanishing


I been crying out, “ How bad can a good time be?” Shooting off my mouth, that’s another great thing about me. I have everything, but I feel like nothing at all. There’s no risky thing for a man who’s determined to fall.

TBT is still in my top half. I think it's much, much better than people give it credit for.
TinKnight is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #114
Refugee
 
super fly guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dundee,scotland
Posts: 2,250
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
CD has just arrived from U2.com so fair play to them for that
Well my bloody vinyl didn't arrive from them!😭
super fly guy is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #115
War Child
 
TheGeekyU2Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Adam Stanheight and Dr Lawrence Gordon's Trap
Posts: 971
Local Time: 02:39 PM
I only see SOE online at target
TheGeekyU2Fan is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #116
Refugee
 
super fly guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dundee,scotland
Posts: 2,250
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post
Wow Larry looks miserable
He is absolutely ecstatic,but his new face hasn't settled in yet.
super fly guy is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #117
War Child
 
purpleblackeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 742
Local Time: 09:39 PM
I’ve always liked the Best Thing. Great bass, good lyrics, and an awesome bridge by The Edge. Testament to the album’s strength that it is still not top 5 or 6 for me.

Right now I am floored by the beauty of 13.

And The Blackout’s thunderous groove is creeping back up for me after falling off for a little bit.
purpleblackeye is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #118
War Child
 
purpleblackeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 742
Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post










I’m quite pleased. Also my local record store opens at 11am now. Grumble grumble.


Let me know what you think of the pressing. Looks like you have the ProJect table with Ortofon 2m blue cartridge. That’s what I used to have. Now rolling with the Audio Technica LP5 and AT VM540 cart.
purpleblackeye is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #119
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 67,834
Local Time: 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post
Wow Larry looks miserable
One could almost say it appears as if he is not on board.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #120
War Child
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 703
Local Time: 05:39 PM
Fun to watch which songs from the album are most popular on iTunes today. Here’s their current order:



1- Best Thing

2- Get Out

3- Little Things

4- Red Flag Day

5- Summer of Love

6- Love is Bigger

7- 13

8 - Lights of Home

9 - American Soul

10- Ordinary Love (extraordinary mix)

11 - Blackout

12 - Lights of Home (strings)

13 - Love is all we have left

14 - Book of Your Heart

15 - Landlady



I do not see the Showman in the Top 200 rock songs.
__________________

U2freakboy is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×