Songs never played live.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bgmckinney said:

Learn something new every day.
Is this floating around on any of the bootleg sites?

Don´t get too high expectations. It´s only Bono and Edge. Yes, it is floating around, I´m sure you´ll find it.

So Cruel was just acoustic Bono... before launching into Sunday Bloody Sunday

August 22, 1992: Foxboro, MA @ Foxboro Stadium
September 09, 1992: Detroit, MI @ Pontiac Silverdome
September 15, 1992: Chicago, IL @ World Music Ampitheater

Never played after that.

U2FanPeter said:
Was Acrobat a snippet that intro'd ZS?

Was Night and Day ever played by the full band?

On the ZooTV tour they´ve tried to use Acrobat as an intro to Zoo Station (only Bono and Edge). Obviously, it didn´t work.

Night and Day was played full band, but not with Adam and Larry, but Edge and Bono played it with a session bass player and drummer, on the MusiCares awards in 2003. A fuckin´spectacular version, everyone must hear this.

Too bad the same night was the founding point of the Mary J Blige abomination...

I'm just wondering the reasons behind these songs neever being played live. Looking at the list there are some shite songs which most diehard fans wouldn't even be interested in hearing live like red light, the refugee, stranger in a strange land, a man and a woman so fair enough that they havnt played those before. However there are also some absolutely ace songs on there, I mean heartland, acrobat, your blue room, promendade I would personally LOVE to hear any of these songs live and bar perhaps your blue room, none of these would be too difficult to play live either. So why would it be that they wont play these???!!!

theu2fly said:
So Cruel was just acoustic Bono... before launching into Sunday Bloody Sunday

August 22, 1992: Foxboro, MA @ Foxboro Stadium
September 09, 1992: Detroit, MI @ Pontiac Silverdome
September 15, 1992: Chicago, IL @ World Music Ampitheater

Never played after that.

Hey, there is an echo in here! :laugh: :wink:

Check the first page of the thread.

jonnytakeawalk said:
I'm just wondering the reasons behind these songs neever being played live. Looking at the list there are some shite songs which most diehard fans wouldn't even be interested in hearing live like red light, the refugee, stranger in a strange land, a man and a woman so fair enough that they havnt played those before. However there are also some absolutely ace songs on there, I mean heartland, acrobat, your blue room, promendade I would personally LOVE to hear any of these songs live and bar perhaps your blue room, none of these would be too difficult to play live either. So why would it be that they wont play these???!!!

Well, the band disagrees with you on Acrobat. Bono seems to think it would be to tough to play full band live. :shrug: They tried it acoustic and they just didnt feel it worked.

Promenade and Heartland I can only speculate. Not big singles, not done on the tours for the albums they were on and I think Bono would struggle with the vocals on both live at this stage. So I doubt those will ever be done.

Blue Room said:

Well, the band disagrees with you on Acrobat. Bono seems to think it would be to tough to play full band live. :shrug: They tried it acoustic and they just didnt feel it worked.

I was in the car with a guitar-player friend of mine not too long ago when I put AB on and mentioned that Acrobat had never been played. As soon as Edge's part kicked in, he said, "Oh. No wonder they've never played it." His point was that the guitar effects were just too complicated. However since they've managed to re-create Ultraviolet and The Fly live, I don't see why Acrobat should be any worse. But I don't know anything about guitar effects.

why does everyone keep saying When I Look At The World has never been played live, only snippeted?
I don't count 2.16 minutes of a song a snippet.... I don't know what date it's from, but it's accoustic, and has most of the song!
So it's definately played!

not only was it 2:16, but the guitar part does change from bad to When I look at the world. I listen to it all the time, and it's fantastic.

Nevermind, according to Neutral's file it's
2001-11-27 - Kansas City

At last I've that one cleared up :D

Last edited:
Nisse.... you're right, it was played as an Intro. I don't know if it's a tape or the band, but it is for sure in my only UF Tour bootleg in Croke Park ! :wink:

WILATW was entirely dependent upon Bad (and subsequently Streets). To be counted as being played, it has to be performed independently. It was merely used as a segue from Bad to Streets and would not have been played outside of Bad. Thus, it can only be considered to be a snippet.

Galeongirl said:
why does everyone keep saying When I Look At The World has never been played live, only snippeted?
I don't count 2.16 minutes of a song a snippet.... I don't know what date it's from, but it's accoustic, and has most of the song!
So it's definately played!

If thats your qualification, then you are right. I interpret it differently. Mine would be similiar to what Axver said above. Each their own. Its a snippet in that its attached to another song and was not played independently to me. :shrug:

The biggest crime on that whole list is Red Hill Mining Town. They couldn't have tuned it a little lower to let Bono sing it at some point? I never understood that.

You know, considering Acrobat was actually performed (still have yet to hear it).

phillyfan26 said:
The biggest crime on that whole list is Red Hill Mining Town. They couldn't have tuned it a little lower to let Bono sing it at some point? I never understood that.

Larry had trouble with the timing on it also. They only attempted it a couple of times. I think because it was at the end of the Joshua Tree they decided it wasnt worth any further effort. After the JT tour I dont think they thought/think there was any reason to try it again. :shrug: Its a good song obviously, but the tempo of it would make it imperative that it was in the perfect spot in a setlist IMO. Probably another factor, there really hasnt been a tour since JT/Lovetown where it would fit in with the themeing of vibe of the album either. Unfortunately I dont think it will ever be done live.

bgmckinney said:

I was in the car with a guitar-player friend of mine not too long ago when I put AB on and mentioned that Acrobat had never been played. As soon as Edge's part kicked in, he said, "Oh. No wonder they've never played it." His point was that the guitar effects were just too complicated. However since they've managed to re-create Ultraviolet and The Fly live, I don't see why Acrobat should be any worse. But I don't know anything about guitar effects.

From a guitar perspective, with Edge's equipment, the song would not be that difficult to replicate. I would think to get it spot on from a full band perspective might take more work though.

The actual foundations of Acrobat are pretty basic and can be heard on the Achtung Baby tapes from Germany. The song kicks arse even in it's early raw form.

don;t ever say never. david bowie had a song called "the bewlay brothers" witch was about him and his half brother and was too personal to be played. well it came out in like 1972 and was played for the first time 30 years later. lol. so. thier.

the jokes on the first page are absolutely DIRE.
so dire they're funny but still...

gareth brown said:
the jokes on the first page are absolutely DIRE.
so dire they're funny but still...

Just because you still haven't found the jokes you're looking for ... :tsk:

bgmckinney said:

Learn something new every day.
Is this floating around on any of the bootleg sites?

I have it and am happy to share if you can't find it elsewhere.

*waves* Hi! I'm Sonia and I'm new here.

I thought there were a couple of longer versions of Peace on Earth done on E tour leg 3...still, stuck in between One & Walk On, they'd probably still fall under the snippet label.

I'm torn on WILATW, but I'd probably call it a snippet also.

Re: So Cruel...isn't it funny that the 2 full versions of it that YBR speaks of don't circulate in trading circles? I've never seen a complete recording of Detroit (Pontiac) or Chicago 1992-09-15. Pity.

I think a more fun list would be "songs only played once". I guess that includes Scarlet, Like a Song, and Christmas BPCH.

CTU2fan said:
I thought there were a couple of longer versions of Peace on Earth done on E tour leg 3...still, stuck in between One & Walk On, they'd probably still fall under the snippet label.

I think I gave this list earlier in the thread, but here's the three performances of Peace On Earth that are a bit questionable:

· 2001-11-20 - Sacramento, California - Arco Arena
· 2001-11-27 - Kansas City, Missouri - Kemper Arena
· 2001-11-28 - St. Louis, Missouri - Savvis Center

Basically, last year, I did a setlist cleanup on U2VT. Before that, there were a fair few more POEs listed as full performances. Most I determined to be snippets, but those three must have been pretty lengthy, so I marked them as questionable and left them as full performances. I think my criteria was either over half or over two thirds of the song being done led me to consider it seriously as not being a snippet.

However, I haven't listened to those shows in a good while now and don't remember them too well. I'd appreciate some outside input on whether those should be considered snippets or not.

I think a more fun list would be "songs only played once". I guess that includes Scarlet, Like a Song, and Christmas BPCH.

Interestingly enough, at U2VT earlier this year, we got a report that U2 played an unbroadcast live session at the BBC's radio studios in January 1983 and the short set included Like A Song. However, we haven't got confirmation of that, so I don't list it on U2VT except as a brief comment, to avoid unnecessarily throwing off Like A Song's performance count.

Also, add to your list North And South Of The River and Holy Joe, both of which only made one live appearance. And maybe IGWSHA could be counted as it was only done properly once.

Edit: some others done just once would be The Wanderer, Carry Me Home, and We Love You.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom