Someday U2 will have a new album. Today is not that day. discuss.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an idea we could chew on for days. Is this even possible, given who we're talking about? And if possible is it at all desirable?

I agree that having them all in Dublin at once and feeling like they have work to do is very uplifting. I may have some candy floss and ice cream to celebrate.

Anything's possible.

Though given the more artistic leanings of Bono/Edge vs the more conservative leanings of Larry/Adam, how would they do it ? I think if they felt like it, they'd do it by now. I think they like having someone else overseeing producing and having that extra input.

Zooropa did have Edge co-credited but that was just a one-time happening as he was chewing into the record, what with his marriage falling apart. I think Eno and Flood had a bigger role...

It is not about singles, radio friendly chart hits etc. at all. It is about good songs. Period. It is about quality. Their classic songs like New Year's Day, Pride, With Or Without You, One, Stay, Gone, even Beautiful Day and Moment Of Surrender, I'll stretch until that point... are all bloody good songs! So an album filled with good songs will of course be excellent! Stuff like Boots, Vertigo, Stand Up Comedy etc. are mediocre in my opinion. I don't care if they're radio friendly or not.

Of course, it will be nice if it has a cohesive album feel and not a string of great songs that have nothing in common. But... I don't expect too much from them at this point.

Thematic unity and coherence (what they might be aiming for with DM after spending most of the 00's chasing singles) don't have to be mutually exclusive with good singles.

AB had great singles, as did JT. But both thematically tight and coherent works.

It is not about singles, radio friendly chart hits etc. at all. It is about good songs. Period. It is about quality. Their classic songs like New Year's Day, Pride, With Or Without You, One, Stay, Gone, even Beautiful Day and Moment Of Surrender, I'll stretch until that point... are all bloody good songs! So an album filled with good songs will of course be excellent! Stuff like Boots, Vertigo, Stand Up Comedy etc. are mediocre in my opinion. I don't care if they're radio friendly or not.

Of course, it will be nice if it has a cohesive album feel and not a string of great songs that have nothing in common. But... I don't expect too much from them at this point.

I'd like a thematically tight record this time. An album as opposed to a collection of (however great they might be) songs. I think they're burned out of "11 great songs" idea that fueled much of their 00's output and they're not good enough songwriters to pull it off anyway.

I think they're burned out of "11 great songs" idea that fueled much of their 00's output and they're not good enough songwriters to pull it off anyway.

Agreed. Stop trying to write a mega hit album and just write what you feel like. Isn't that what respected older musicians like Springsteen and Neil Young are still doing? Stop trying to compete with Lady Gaga and Justin Timberlake! :doh:

These two tracks are a reminder of why I love(d) this band - I wish they could pull it off again, but it must be extremely difficult for them now to produce this kind of music.

I think it's extremely hard for any band to write a song like UTEOTW at any time in their career. Rock musicians live and die to write a song that good. Doing it again and again for more than thirty years... that's remarkable. I don't know that Springsteen, Neil Young or anybody have created a song as good as Moment of Surrender that late in their careers, let alone a whole record good enough to stand up with it. Whether the songs are going to work as singles or not, what we all really want is for U2 to prove that they can do it one more time (and then we'll want just one more after that).

It's a U2 record. You're gonna hear pop/rock songs with a big chorus and big guitar riff. That's what they've always done. Passengers was an anomaly, not the new norm. Hell, it was nearly 20 years ago. I kinda think expecting "Passengers" style U2 is setting one up for eternal disappointment.

Passengers was the logical development of Zooropra, which was the logical development of Achtung Baby. You make U2 sound like they're Matchbox 20 or something. Yes, they are formally a pop/rock band, but they were also a restless, experimental, and fearless rock band. They have become very conservative, and their music and reputation has suffered for it. You can bring out Pride as an example, but what about the rest of the album? It's hardly a pop record. That record was designed as a "fuck you" to people who wanted them to be what you reduce them to, that being a simple bunch of crowd-pleasers. U2 were just as much about sound and atmosphere as about the pop song, and that's what they need to get back to: letting the sound write the song.

I hope so. I'll take the bait and be slightly optimistic about what it could be.

That would be, what, 3 in the afternoon East coast?

I've heard the new U2 single. The chorus goes 'Keep trollin, trollin, trollin, trollin...' (Limp Bizkit fans will get that joke) :wave:

u2valencia, I think. Their little team is getting so excited waiting for the hit counter to start moving.

I was referring to the Play album released by Moby as many of you probably know. I wouldn't regard it as an album full of singles per se, but an album that works as a cohesive whole, all the while having each song be good enough to spend their own little time in the limelight.

This is because Moby had the sad distinction of licensing EVERY song on the album to be used by companies for marketing purposes. His position in that regard is like the polar opposite of U2's.

Play (Moby album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The guy who hosts (?) this radio show is the same of the 6x6 concert thing rumour - Jordi Tardà.

The claim about tonight's supposed "exclusive" is taken from here: https://www.facebook.com/tardatardaicatfm/posts/10151872453251763

"En exclusiva informará de los próximos proyectos de U2 y Bruce Springsteen."

Which means, they will talk about the next projects by U2. Which is nothing major, if that "en exclusiva" (exclusively) wasn't added. Let's see. I don't know this Tardà guy anyway and don't know if he's in some in-the-know circle. More importantly, I don't speak Spanish so I will understand nothing. :cute:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom