SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, because no one has ever released a "single mix" of a song in the past? :scratch:

I can appreciate either or, so the Temple Bar mix is fine. As is the album version.

I love both versions, but my preference is the temple bar remix

The Best Thing (Big Mouth Mix)

As a "we don't care"-gesture to all of us who think Bono's vocals are too loud in the mixes these days this version is basically 99% vocals; you may faintly hear hints of guitar in between lines, but most of the time you think you hear the instrumentals you're actually just imagining. Also, Edge's bridge is now "sung" by Donald Trump, where words from his speeches have been cut, pasted together and vocalized to resemble the original melody and lyrics.

Ridiculous how they would hate their best song.

I doubt they did anyway, if they hated it then why did they put it on the album?

And sing it live as recently as the vertigo tour. Why did they put it on the album why did they release it as a single and why has it been performed live numerous times. I Think that's a load of rubbish myself

I still hear it played on the radio now and again. Great song

I think with U2 there's a difference between hating the song and hating the final product. Hence why some songs will have multiple versions.

I think with U2 there's a difference between hating the song and hating the final product. Hence why some songs will have multiple versions.

Yep, makes sense.

I vaguely remember reading something about Larry's comments on WGRYWH, where he said something like "what a great song, but I screwed it up"

well I'm gonna have to go listen to Wild Horses now.

but instead of album or temple version.. will put on this bit of awesomeness

...which is pretty great too

Could you imagine interference back when this video was released ?

IS BONO OK???

He doesn't look happy, like Larry!!!

I think this is U2s last album. They look miserable

;)

One of the really cool things about Achtung Baby is how several of the songs exist in multiple iterations (beyond just the Baby mixes) mixed at various stages in the creative process, giving an interesting perspective into how their individual sounds evolved during the making of the album.

The 'Baby' version of WGRYWH is basically a polished version of the song as heard in the bootlegged STS demos. I love the album mix, but I do think the original sketch is something really special. I believe Edge also makes a comment in U2 By U2 about how they never quite managed to recapture the magic of the early demo.

The Temple Bar Mix is almost like the bare skeleton of the song in it's re-invented, post-STS form, with the album mix taking that structure and grafting the ambience of the original version onto it.

well I'm gonna have to go listen to Wild Horses now.

but instead of album or temple version.. will put on this bit of awesomeness

...which is pretty great too

DUDE!!!! I fucking LOVE this baby version!!!! I kind of view it as a separate song from WGRYWH. Even though the music is the same basic structure, it is so different lyrically, texturally, sonically. I just love what's happening here!

In Bill Flanagan's book "U2 at the end of the world", the general picture that is painted is that the band had mixed feelings about WGRYWH. I think I remember Bono & Edge kept trying to pull a great song out of it, and Adam, Larry and even Eno were not into it. I believe the word "throwaway" was used. The fact that they have continually changed it, with further evolutions throughout the Vertigo tour, indicates to me that they were still never quite able to get it to where they were happy with it. I think it became the 5th single because some record company people wanted to milk one last single from AB, and it seemed like the most marketable one. I swear I remember reading somewhere that there was a battle of "Wild Horses" vs "UTEOTW" to be the last single, but UTEOTW really doesn't have a hook or a chorus.

I really like the song. It was one of the first "non greatest hits" songs I heard during the early part of my fandom, when I randomly caught the video on VH1 in 1995 or so, back when I was 13 and stayed up all night watching music videos. And actually, it's one of my wife's favorite U2 songs. Would make for a good "e-stage song".

Maybe U2 are watching this forum and they see some ppl hatin the original version and then go oh shiz some ppl dont like the song lets realease the kygo mix, then oh shiz some ppl dont like kygo lets realease accoustic version... oh shiz lets just release the original mix before they changed it 24 hours before it was realesed. :hmm:

Can someone not from NZ/Australia please tell me why cunt is so offensive? Growing up it was on a par with crap and shit, but nowhere near as bad as fuck. I mean, I know it's a genitalia term, but so is dork and willy...

Can someone not from NZ/Australia please tell me why cunt is so offensive? Growing up it was on a par with crap and shit, but nowhere near as bad as fuck. I mean, I know it's a genitalia term, but so is dork and willy...

Ugh. People pick arbitrary shit to be offended by, like words. Strings of letters forming text on a page apparently passes for offensive. Cunts need to harden the fuck up.

Ugh. People pick arbitrary shit to be offended by, like words. Strings of letters forming text on a page apparently passes for offensive. Cunts need to harden the fuck up.

do you not understand that in some countries it is actually a term of abuse, and a pretty strong one at that?

you're just definitely trying to stir things up in this thread seeing as the last one was locked :rolleyes:

are you going Trump style? "toughen up you snowflake pussies"? SAD!

Last edited:
DUDE!!!! I fucking LOVE this baby version!!!! I kind of view it as a separate song from WGRYWH. Even though the music is the same basic structure, it is so different lyrically, texturally, sonically. I just love what's happening here!

In Bill Flanagan's book "U2 at the end of the world", the general picture that is painted is that the band had mixed feelings about WGRYWH. I think I remember Bono & Edge kept trying to pull a great song out of it, and Adam, Larry and even Eno were not into it. I believe the word "throwaway" was used. The fact that they have continually changed it, with further evolutions throughout the Vertigo tour, indicates to me that they were still never quite able to get it to where they were happy with it. I think it became the 5th single because some record company people wanted to milk one last single from AB, and it seemed like the most marketable one. I swear I remember reading somewhere that there was a battle of "Wild Horses" vs "UTEOTW" to be the last single, but UTEOTW really doesn't have a hook or a chorus.

I really like the song. It was one of the first "non greatest hits" songs I heard during the early part of my fandom, when I randomly caught the video on VH1 in 1995 or so, back when I was 13 and stayed up all night watching music videos. And actually, it's one of my wife's favorite U2 songs. Would make for a good "e-stage song".

I don't know what's wrong with them, because this is my favourite U2 song. In both single and album forms!

That baby remix is cool enough, but overall it's not amazing to me because the chorus lacks a hook in that version (though I know he does the chorus we all know on part of that chorus)

I am merely interested from a sociological perspective why you all think a single word is so offensive?

Surely the intent of the speaker means something in this conversation? I am also interested why some people who are offended are making this about their own interpretations

I'm a sucker for jangly guitars and dreamy synths but the album version is by far the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom