SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why doesn't the edge rip off any solos anymore ? I know times have changed and we're not in the 90s anymore...but a short wicked one would have been nice.

yeah i was thinking that too, but......some old songs like Zoo Station didn't have solos but still sounded cool.

It's made to be the opener to Songs of Experience the tour right? It's dark and here they come.

Innocence they started in the light. With Experience they know they have to fight off the dark. Deep shit!!!!!

3 songs we know of and I like all 3 very much.

...can't believe this didn't spring to mind earlier, lol. You're right though, Innocence was all about the lightbulb. Now we have The Blackout.

Cheeky!

...can't believe this didn't spring to mind earlier, lol. You're right though, Innocence was all about the lightbulb. Now we have The Blackout.

Cheeky!

Same lightbulb on stage, it just goes black.

Agreed.

His guitar work is actually pretty good in this song... adds a lot of texture and has some unique sounds. But I definitely would have loved to hear a huge solo.

(to be fair, Crystal Ballroom had a great Edge solo)

I think it's pretty clear they are going to push The Best Thing pretty hard. Maybe they will go back to Blackout when it comes closer to album release, or pull out another song? Hard to say. This song seemed to be "for the fans" and TBT seems to be for Top 40.

Quick let's put out the blackout for the fans before we completely alienate them with the best thing. [emoji106]

So I went to play blackout and as soon as I hit play my power went out...can't make this stuff up!!

I don't care what this song is really about -- all I know is this song should have been released to buy last Monday during the freaking eclipse so it could reach number one on iTunes. Marketing Dept fail.

:lol: I had to go back and see if I said anything stupid and thankfully no. I mostly just mentioned how Boots was at least getting people talking and was sort of a polarizing song. I pointed out how Vertigo was obviously the catchier and more straight forward song, easier for people to digest and that Boots for ll its efforts was more interesting yet nto necessarily better or worse. I think my views on those songs are the same today as they were then after just listening to both for the first time in a while.

Personally I always liked Vertigo though and still do. I remember going back and forth on Boots. Somedays I'd like it and others I wouldn't. In the end I grew tired of it and didn't really like it and I gotta say I still don't. It's interesting but doesn't do anything for me.

I think those who gushed over it at the time look pretty silly now :lol:

Oh maaaan. I still remember my first listen. Everybody else seemed pretty excited and I was initially not elated, but persuaded myself on the second listen. I'm pretty sure there's a couple of posts of me coming around to the song deep in the bowels of one Superthread or another, but I'm not dredging those up. And as that link proves I got way too swept up in the excitement of the times. But good lord did Boots not last. My last.fm stats are fucking hilarious: I played it 24 times in January/February 2009, and literally four times since then.

Plus it was kind of cool to shit on Vertigo then if you were in camp Native Son. And I honestly don't think the studio version of Vertigo holds up like the live version does.

I think the song will be a ton of fun live...but can someone please tell Bono he looks like Dr. Strangelove with these shades! :doh:

Attachments

• Shades.gif
    Shades.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 74
I think the song will be a ton of fun live...but can someone please tell Bono he looks like Dr. Strangelove with these shades! :doh:

True.

Why does larry always look annoyed? Is that just Larry's bitch face? He's so handsome, but he also wants to kill you.

Having listened to Blackout about 10x, i would put it at about a 5/10. Find it very forgettable. It's new territory for U2, it's just nothing I am all that interested in. I think the chorus is catchy, easily gets stuck in your head, but it's just not that good.

I didn't like Boots, but really enjoyed NLOTH. Hoping the same here. I actually like The Miracle better the first few listens. Hoping the studio version will come across better, but overall not impressed with the track.

Be honest RH, what do you expect a band this age to do? Is this really considered adult contemporary? IDK

There are some departures here for U2, besides that it's just a good song.

But for everyone complaining about "experimental" and "departure", you're crazy. Very few bands pull off a JT to AB in their career, even just once. But no BAND has ever pulled it off multiple times, especially at this stage.

So just enjoy good songs.

Borderline AC at best but it does rock in the bridge.

Good song is subjective. I think it's pretty good...

A strong case could be made that they have had more departures than just that one...and I think they have another one left in them...but only time will tell.

Thanks for the commandment. Now go to bed!

;]

Having listened to Blackout about 10x, i would put it at about a 5/10. Find it very forgettable. It's new territory for U2, it's just nothing I am all that interested in. I think the chorus is catchy, easily gets stuck in your head, but it's just not that good.

I didn't like Boots, but really enjoyed NLOTH. Hoping the same here. I actually like The Miracle better the first few listens. Hoping the studio version will come across better, but overall not impressed with the track.

:up::up:

ugh, i went back for a second listen and still absolutely *hate* the crowd noise drowning out some of the effects. i think there is a good song in there but i'm going to wait until i can hear the studio version before i listen to it again probably.

Watched the great Neil Finn record his latest album live online last Friday. There's a guy who is just interested in writing classic songs and is not bothered about staying relevant by creating pop tunes for the kiddies. Wish u2 would be a bit more like that.

ugh, i went back for a second listen and still absolutely *hate* the crowd noise drowning out some of the effects. i think there is a good song in there but i'm going to wait until i can hear the studio version before i listen to it again probably.
Yea I dunno if that was on purpose to prevent a full on rip of the song going around the interwebs and all, but I can't wait to hear a clean version of this song without Sil shouting over it.

tumblr_m5q29mEZPz1qkxnsto1_500.gif

Watched the great Neil Finn record his latest album live online last Friday. There's a guy who is just interested in writing classic songs and is not bothered about staying relevant by creating pop tunes for the kiddies. Wish u2 would be a bit more like that.

Who is Neil Finn? Guess he accomplished not being relevant with me!!

So what are the odds The Blackout is the opening song? I think the whole "The big mouth says the people don't want to be free for free" is a good bookend to the "Your big mouth in the way" from The Little Things :hmm:

See also: "A light had been turned off"

I think we're looking at an album with a good number of self-referential lyrics (which I think is cool)

The only way I see the names working is with the "Go easy on me brother" pre chorus lines that follow them...

Kind of clever, but also kind of Bono.

Oh how I wish U2 would be a solo artist...

Borderline AC at best but it does rock in the bridge.

Good song is subjective. I think it's pretty good...

A strong case could be made that they have had more departures than just that one...and I think they have another one left in them...but only time will tell.

Thanks for the commandment. Now go to bed!

;]

Let me stop this convo right here. This will never be played on AC radio stations, simply because it's not an AC song. If this is released as a single, it will find a home on Alt Rock radio stations, which is exactly where it belongs. Nothing about this song says AC.

That's likely why Best Thing was chosen as the first single. It probably does belong on AC.

ATYCLB was borderline AC and the guys were around 40 when those songs were written. For some reason they're pushing 60 and writing songs incredibly youthful in sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom