SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
God I'm so happy to read myself not liking Boots right from the start.

Unlike, say, Axver... ;)

:lol: I had to go back and see if I said anything stupid and thankfully no. I mostly just mentioned how Boots was at least getting people talking and was sort of a polarizing song. I pointed out how Vertigo was obviously the catchier and more straight forward song, easier for people to digest and that Boots for ll its efforts was more interesting yet nto necessarily better or worse. I think my views on those songs are the same today as they were then after just listening to both for the first time in a while.

Personally I always liked Vertigo though and still do. I remember going back and forth on Boots. Somedays I'd like it and others I wouldn't. In the end I grew tired of it and didn't really like it and I gotta say I still don't. It's interesting but doesn't do anything for me.

I think those who gushed over it at the time look pretty silly now :lol:

Can't even watch The Blackout video. Tried multiple browsers, clearing cache, etc. Any other video site is working fine for me like usual, but Facebook video is a bust.

Why can't they just be real modern people and just upload it to YouTube? It's 2017 for Christ's sake.

It was actually pretty cool. You could set a reminder for it and 3 minutes before it went live they sent the notification and then the timer counted down to 0:00 and the video started. It had to be an issue on your end cause it worked fine for myself and seemingly everyone else.

[emoji38] I had to go back and see if I said anything stupid and thankfully no. I mostly just mentioned how Boots was at least getting people talking and was sort of a polarizing song. I pointed out how Vertigo was obviously the catchier and more straight forward song, easier for people to digest and that Boots for ll its efforts was more interesting yet nto necessarily better or worse. I think my views on those songs are the same today as they were then after just listening to both for the first time in a while.

Personally I always liked Vertigo though and still do. I remember going back and forth on Boots. Somedays I'd like it and others I wouldn't. In the end I grew tired of it and didn't really like it and I gotta say I still don't. It's interesting but doesn't do anything for me.

I think those who gushed over it at the time look pretty silly now [emoji38]
I tried to like Boots but ultimately my initial feeling won out... It was, and is, garbage. It had a slight redemption live, but that's as generous as I'll be. May it never see the light of day again.

Vertigo, on the other hand, was and is still a very good song. It was a victim of overexposure.

Just got back from work (first day back after the flooding), and listened a few times.

Musically I like it but I think some of the lyrics suck, Chuck.

Wasn't one of the delay rumors about reworking the songs to have a more live feel? I wonder how different the studio version will be. Supposedly they played parts of a recorded version during the filming? Be interesting to see if it will be the same minus cheering or a considerable difference in production?

I really hope it's not a considerable difference. If so it's like we just got rick rolled with a professionally done beach clip.

So what are the odds The Blackout is the opening song? I think the whole "The big mouth says the people don't want to be free for free" is a good bookend to the "Your big mouth in the way" from The Little Things :hmm:

I mean the 15 second clip that we saw yesterday. To me that was the weakest part of the song and I thought it was pretty cool still. Meaning I really like the rest of the song and was pleasantly surprised.

I don't get the chorus hate. It's bouncy, catchy, a good lyric. It's new territory for U2. Now I get that it's nothing groundbreaking, and possibly too pop for some, but to me it's U2 doing pop well.

Not Bad

Alright, folks. This is pretty darn good...and I don't think we can ask for too much more if the music is going to be in this vein.

The bridge sounds great and not as cobbled together as it has at times in the past.

From the clip I was thinking 6/7 but this might be 7/8. Odd how Larry looks so board during the chorus (and the drumming in the chorus is the weakest link in the song IMO).

I think SOE will be around the same quality as SOI which, in my opinion, is saying quite a lot.

The question is when will they take a detour from this middle of the road borderline AC that they've been on since 2000? With that said, I'm amped for the new album and give the band a lot of credit for such quality material this late in the game.

fav part is how they come out of this part "blackout it's clear.." in falsetto.......then build up! Bam!

Why doesn't the edge rip off any solos anymore ? I know times have changed and we're not in the 90s anymore...but a short wicked one would have been nice.

I don't get the chorus hate. It's bouncy, catchy, a good lyric. It's new territory for U2. Now I get that it's nothing groundbreaking, and possibly too pop for some, but to me it's U2 doing pop well.

Oh trust me I don't hate it at all, in fact I really like it! Just that after hearing the whole song, I like other parts better which makes me enjoy the song even more than I expected :)

I'm in the minority who didn't think it was fantastic but was also willing to give it multiple listens as most u2 songs do grow on you. With this one however, I actually feel like it's getting worse after each listen. It could be that I am not a fan of the repeated pop like chorus and wasn't impressed with The Best thing either for this reason. Does anyone else feel this way?

Last edited:
Just got back from work (first day back after the flooding), and listened a few times.

Musically I like it but I think some of the lyrics suck, Chuck.

ha, the lyrics :wink: Well you are correct i suppose.

On a serious note, hope you are and your family are doing well. Keeping you guys in my prayers as well as some of my family and friends that reside in the area.

Any chance some of us can get some MP3 love over in the other discussion? Please :)

I feel like if you played this for younger people and didn't tell them who it was, they might get into it. It's not as instantly as infective as Vertigo but it definitely has more meat on its bones. The problem is that radio stations can't even play this because the band clearly didn't release it that regard and the crowd noise makes it less than optimal.

Will it get resuscitated after the album comes out? Maybe it winds up being that second single closer to the album release.

Why doesn't the edge rip off any solos anymore ? I know times have changed and we're not in the 90s anymore...but a short wicked one would have been nice.

Agreed.

His guitar work is actually pretty good in this song... adds a lot of texture and has some unique sounds. But I definitely would have loved to hear a huge solo.

(to be fair, Crystal Ballroom had a great Edge solo)

Will it get resuscitated after the album comes out? Maybe it winds up being that second single closer to the album release.

I think it's pretty clear they are going to push The Best Thing pretty hard. Maybe they will go back to Blackout when it comes closer to album release, or pull out another song? Hard to say. This song seemed to be "for the fans" and TBT seems to be for Top 40.

Last edited:
Alright, folks. This is pretty darn good...and I don't think we can ask for too much more if the music is going to be in this vein.

The bridge sounds great and not as cobbled together as it has at times in the past.

From the clip I was thinking 6/7 but this might be 7/8. Odd how Larry looks so board during the chorus (and the drumming in the chorus is the weakest link in the song IMO).

I think SOE will be around the same quality as SOI which, in my opinion, is saying quite a lot.

The question is when will they take a detour from this middle of the road borderline AC that they've been on since 2000? With that said, I'm amped for the new album and give the band a lot of credit for such quality material this late in the game.

Be honest RH, what do you expect a band this age to do? Is this really considered adult contemporary? IDK

There are some departures here for U2, besides that it's just a good song.

But for everyone complaining about "experimental" and "departure", you're crazy. Very few bands pull off a JT to AB in their career, even just once. But no BAND has ever pulled it off multiple times, especially at this stage.

So just enjoy good songs.

Oh I know, it was more of a general term meant for those commenting on the chorus.

Ah cool and I agree with you. Oh btw today at about 930 when I went on break, and was going back to work, one of our local radio stations played the song!! I couldn't stay to see what their comments were after the song, but was cool to hear new u2 on the radio!

The song is kick ass and confident, yet extremely accessible for a U2 song. I've found most of their music needs repeated listens, but this one definitely gets in your head and stays there.

It's made to be the opener to Songs of Experience the tour right? It's dark and here they come.

Innocence they started in the light. With Experience they know they have to fight off the dark. Deep shit!!!!!

3 songs we know of and I like all 3 very much.

Video Itself -- It was okay. I miss the days of awesome videos. I guess the young kids still make them sometimes. Music didn't line up with Bono. Much like those dumb glasses make him look like my mom dressing up like Yoko. Me no like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom