So what've we got so far? - a proposed map of the album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds interesting, I like the sound, but i'm not convinced that it is actually U2. :hmm:

Did anyone else notice that the keyboard in the background when Adam plays bass:

http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/adam_fans.swf

sound almost exactly like the keyboard in the Achtung Baby out take called "Heaven and Hell"?

YouTube - U2 - Heaven And Hell

This is especially strange because the third clip in the edgeback video contains a guitar riff that sounds a whole lot like the one in Jitterbug Baby.

Could they be bringing back some of these old demos for the new album?

A. Corbijn's wikipedia page:
# "No Line on the Horizon", U2 (2008)
# "New Album/iTunes commercial", U2 (2008)
:ohmy:

But that doesn't mean anything, really. :|

Is it me or does it seem like news and talk of the new album came a lot earlier with HTDAAB? We're only 3 months away

A. Corbijn's wikipedia page:
# "No Line on the Horizon", U2 (2008)
# "New Album/iTunes commercial", U2 (2008)
:ohmy:

But that doesn't mean anything, really. :|

Whoever is editing this into Wikipedia is pissing me off. Unconfirmed rumours that the album is titled NLOTH are going up as fact... there is NOTHING MORE THAN SPECULATION ON THE INTERWEBS that NLOTH is the title. Other than a "news article" that gets its "facts" from this forum, I 'spose.

Whoever is editing this into Wikipedia is pissing me off. Unconfirmed rumours that the album is titled NLOTH are going up as fact... there is NOTHING MORE THAN SPECULATION ON THE INTERWEBS that NLOTH is the title. Other than a "news article" that gets its "facts" from this forum, I 'spose.

So change it...:shrug:

I did at first, but it was changed right back... I'm not sure I want to start an edit war.

I love Wikipedia, but this is when I start to get angry at its format...

If you cared enough, you would change it. If its that important, somebody soon will. I love wikipedia!

2 - some big Anthem /Love song

edgeback3 fits perfectly over section C of U2HQclip both go F#-E-E6/c ("Get up..."), its crunchier darker fly-like quality contrasts with the lavish chorus preceding it and the uplifting mantra sung over it. very U2.

and now another clip from U2.com
http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/larrystuff.swf
larry listening to a playback of some build up section of a session that sounds like the intro to the aforementioned piece (refer to Beach Clip minus the beach - new audio | U2 Exit News Blog and http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/edgeback.swf for comparison)

sorry if this been posted already, but I didnt see it on this thread,
its a new video of Larry laying down a drum line..........

U2.com | Highlights

kinda reminds me of the intro to Acrobat from Achtung Baby.:drool:
seems the band really want to get back to that sound, digging up demos like
Heaven & Hell and Jitterbug Baby,

LarryMullenFan has posted some interesting stuff on Joe2 Guestbook Watch out now! some serious SPOILERS indeed!!!

Now I was partly wrong, HIWI#3 and Nloth share the same origin and they came to fruition in song1 (it even has the guitar solo of that song from February) edgeback2 evolved into something completely different which is now song4, with the same bassline as in the U2.com clip but the stretched over a completely different groove that sounds like something in between a trance groove and an 80's new wave groove, although it's problematic to say because as Bono and Adam shine through, and Edge is just a bit muffled Larry is bearly audible, but both songs are fucking brilliant, shameless Pop songs.

The structures are really fresher than Bomb, lots of cuts in the middle of a sequence, middle 8ths that lead to completely different sections.

Sexy Boots sounds like a basic Riff song, a slightly more intricate take at the same songwriting drill that Vertigo was, might be a grower though, as the chorus really takes it somewhere else harmonically.

somehow "Walk out into the Street" which I suspect that it might be "Cedars of Lebanon", although leaning on very conventional songwriting and harmonies, sounds fucking huge and excellent, and it has the Coda that adam plays on the adamfans U2.com clip.

Adam is really dominant in all of them, and he pushes everything up with brilliant lines, and Bono is back with really virtuosic confidence.

Sounds like it's gonna be a pop record, a heavy one, and a brilliant one.

"surface of you love" is missing though...

I think there are so many threads about this, it really went out of control, anyway what we do have is this do-it-yourselfer of how to listen to the new clips...

YouTube - U2 - rehearsal clips

In short, based on the clips you'll find there, we can sum up that we have about 7 songs mapped by now, titles given are based on phrases people claim to hear in the songs, as my English is shiiiite, and I can't tell SFA's Welsh songs from their English songs, I avoided any reference to the lyrics except from where it's too obvious.

1 - Some people claim it's Moment of Surrender while some claim it's no Line On the Horizon, yet to me it could be neither, the verse is quite dull, something like: Am-G-F-E which is a bit like Staring At the Sun, then the chorus has a moving groove and beautiful group chanting, an excerpt of the chorus is almost exactly what we here from (4:01-4:26) on YouTube - U2 work for the new album in Fez by U2Place.com
a rather different version of this song was recorded by fans outside HQ studios in Dublin in late February. the recording was awfull in quality, and the verse vocals weren't really consolidated, the chorus was also different, and it did contain the line "There's no Line on the Horiiiiiiiiiiiiizon", it has been changed by now in return for something in line with the trailer version, the current beach clip though, contains the same guitar solo ending that awfull HQ clip from February, which many people claim as the best human creation since that alchemy machine that turns Gold into Cottage Cheese (refer to Muppet Labs for further info), but me however, thinks it sounds just like a mediocre effort at a Will Sergeant-like solo.

2 - "Walk Out Into the Streets" -
verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge as here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvDiXD6Fslk

and with this outro:

http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/adam_fans.swf

this is the best sounding beach clip in terms of quality, and the song that sounds most finished, the melody on the beach clip is much better than the Youtube link and there are new guitar parts and lyrics, on top of that there's one short bluesy guitar section that sounds distinctly like Lanois to me, and I suspect that this song might be Cedars of Lebanon to which Lanois refered in an interview as a song in which he channels Hendrix (On other occasions though, they said they took Mitch Mitchell's drum sound on Crosstown Traffic as reference).

melodic recycling alert - Breath=Please?!

3 - "Sexy Boots" (presumably, sung repeatedly)
based on http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights...ng_april08.swf and http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/greentea.swf . this is a Riff based song like Vertigo, but with an interesting chorus with harmonies that bring Alice in Chains to mind. the intro to this song might be http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/adambass.swf , it's a recording of Adam laying down the intro / break section to a song, the first and only chord blasting from the PA after Adam finishes his bit is the same one as the firsst chord on the chorus of "Sexy Boots" and you can hear him playing unplugged something that sounds like toying with the main riff of that song.

4 - "Only Love"
same chord sequence as http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/edgeback.swf (2nd piece of music out of 4), with a different groove and bassline, that somehow evolved into a trance ballad... basically the melodic hook sounds like edge's backing vocals from BD stretched over eternity by Bono.

5 - not included in the beach clips - "(Coming to the Surface of) Your Love" (perhaps For Your Love, mentioned in some articles refering to songwriting sessions in Fez)

this intro http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/larrystuff.swf

then most of the song is steamed here Beach Clip minus the beach - new audio | U2 Exit News Blog , it's very melodic, borrows something from MW in melody and Kite in the it's-a-wide-open-space-out-there feel it conveys, then the short section preceding every verse is rougher with "Get up, Get up!!!" vocals and a slightly more rrocking 2 chord riff based on F#, a simplified version of which we can hear on http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/edgeback.swf (3rd piece of music out of 4)

however a French fan who heard some new songs on another occasion has claimed that the song containing the music from the larrystuff clip was indeed played and it is more melodic and "Normal" sounding than larrystuff.swf might suggest

6 - A fifth beach clip not hinted in the above youtube link is a terrible recording of something that sounds like a soul ballad with rather intricate harmonies and chord progressions, but it's not really worth the listen in its current recording quality and stage

7 - http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/larryinstudio.swf
hints of a folky sounding song with some unique bass sound, so I guess that's gonna be another track on the album, it might go well with the vibe of the faint mandolin-like riff Edge plays on his unplugged hollowbody on the beginning of http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/edgeback.swf

the other musical excerpts on u2.com are just so out of context that it's hard to relate them to anything else we've heard already, so that's pertty much it.

BTW buy "Here is What Is", at least the album (you can buy it or just have a taste at http://www.redfloorrecords.com), it's beautiful, and to any of you interested, it might give a brighter idea of Lanois' mindset in this period of his (and U2's) musical life. Remember that now, at least for the writing process, he and Eno were a part of the band, and as Eno was busy with Coldplay and David Byrne, I think that Dan is the more crucial figure this time around.

Yes, thanks for the astute detective work!

But now that we've figured out the killer and the weapon...what was the motive???

:wink:

Seriously though, I will preface this next comment by making this somewhat obvious yet appropriate disclaimer: We need to hold back any judgements or prejudices towards any of the clips and subsequent songs until we hear the finished versions.

....okay, now that I got that out of the way I can make my comment....

...that being said, I'm a bit worried about the Sexy Boots clips and potential sounds. PolarCamel made some great connections between various clips we've heard, giving us some idea of what the potential song might be. Judging upon those clips and sounds I'm a bit worried that the song will be boring and plain. Again, I will wait for the official song to hit the airwaves, but I'm not at all impressed. I really hope that it comes together into something really great...but as it is now, the clips and sounds don't seem to be revealing much of a song.

:ohmy: "Sexy Boots" doesn't sound boring or plain at all. In fact, I think it's one of the most exciting and fresh things U2 has done for a long time. I hope they don't mess too much with these songs or waste them for b-sides. I want to hear them on the album the way they are now, just in better quality, of course.

:ohmy: "Sexy Boots" doesn't sound boring or plain at all. In fact, I think it's one of the most exciting and fresh things U2 has done for a long time. I hope they don't mess too much with these songs or waste them for b-sides. I want to hear them on the album the way they are now, just in better quality, of course.

keep in mind that I haven't heard any of the beach clips or other ripped song clips. I'm merely going on the descriptions of other members and the small clips provided by U2.com.

I posted the alleged riff to Sexy Boots in the similarly named thread that I got from some guy that played it on youtube. I can't say that I love the riff, but I can't say that I hate it either. Its so-so.

keep in mind that I haven't heard any of the beach clips or other ripped song clips. I'm merely going on the descriptions of other members and the small clips provided by U2.com.

I posted the alleged riff to Sexy Boots in the similarly named thread that I got from some guy that played it on youtube. I can't say that I love the riff, but I can't say that I hate it either. Its so-so.

perhaps then you aren't getting anywhere near the right impression when it's being played by some old mate on youtube.

Just as you say to reserve judgement, I think it is pointless to say that you are disappointed or bored with a song that a) hasn't been released yet and b) you have never heard

perhaps then you aren't getting anywhere near the right impression when it's being played by some old mate on youtube.

Just as you say to reserve judgement, I think it is pointless to say that you are disappointed or bored with a song that a) hasn't been released yet and b) you have never heard

then I guess we should all just stop posting then right?

:rolleyes:

whats the point? right? :doh:

did you even read my entire post before the one you quoted? I haven't heard the entire song, but from the descriptions that have been made by people who have heard the various recorded clips and the U2.com snippets it doesn't seem that great so far. We'll see what happens when the real song comes out.

then I guess we should all just stop posting then right?

:rolleyes:

whats the point? right? :doh:

did you even read my entire post before the one you quoted? I haven't heard the entire song, but from the descriptions that have been made by people who have heard the various recorded clips and the U2.com snippets it doesn't seem that great so far. We'll see what happens when the real song comes out.

I read the entire post. It just seems hypcritical to tell everyone not to judge the songs, and then say yourself that it "doesn't seemg reat so far".

Of course snippets don't sounds great. Hearing Adam play the bass riff in solo for a song that relies heavily on the guitar and drums isn;t going to give you a great impression.

Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds would sound like shit if you only heard Paul practicing the bass on a dogy hand-held camera clip.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to have an opinion about the song, but you can't tell people to reserve their judgement, and then turn straight around and make your own judgements on something you've never heard

you really do have to laugh:

Anne Lu - Celebrity News Service News Writer
New York, NY (BANG) - Bono has reportedly been ordered to lose weight before U2 release their new album and start a proposed world tour next year.

The singer - who has been entertaining celebrity friends including Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and Robert De Niro on his yacht in France this summer - has been told he needs to lose his excess pounds before the band start their promotional duties again.

A source told the New York Post newspaper: "U2 have an album coming out around January. And then the band is going on another world tour in March and April - so the boys have been told to start exercising all the summer weight off."

U2 - comprising Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen, Jr. - are rumored to be calling the new record, their first in four years, "No Line On The Horizon."

Tracks on the LP have been leaked on the internet after a fan recorded the music from the upcoming record that Bono was playing in his French villa.

The four leaked songs are believed to be called "Moment of Surrender," "For Your Love," "Sexy Boots" and "No Line On The Horizon."

Back
Top Bottom