So what did people think of the Target commercial featuring U2? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2002, 05:58 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:23 AM
So what did people think of the Target commercial featuring U2?

I just saw it for the first time last night during the Grammies. Footage from them doing Elevation in Boston and then it shows some kid laying on the grass listening to them on his headphones...then back to the band...the the kid again. Then some comment about a guy on a motorcycle (I didn't get that...maybe I missed something). All in all, I found it kinda fun to see and hear them featured so much, but I'm sure there will be some who find it just one more nail in the coffin of "selling out". Although to be fair, it is Target advertising to sell a product they carry...the U2 DVD.

Old 02-28-2002, 06:02 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I liked it. Not exactly the best commercial I've ever seen, but it was funny. Isn't it the first U2 commercial, or was there one before this?

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Old 02-28-2002, 06:06 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 10:23 AM
I agree the commercial was okay but I was very surprised to see U2 in it. It was pretty cool seing them!!!
Old 02-28-2002, 06:28 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

At least U2 comes out winning on this. There could of been a commercial of 'O Brother.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:36 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 03:23 AM
I love this commercial...I laugh my ass off each time I see it. The first few times I saw it, they didn't cut to the DVD footage, they just played more of Elevation. I call it "The U2 commercial for U2 fans", because who else "gets" it?
The motorcycle part is a parody(right word?) of Larry in the Elevation video...
Old 02-28-2002, 06:37 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
I call it "The U2 commercial for U2 fans", because who else "gets" it?
The motorcycle part is a parody(right word?) of Larry in the Elevation video...
Yeah, I agree, a parody.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988
Old 02-28-2002, 06:39 PM   #7
Refugee

Try explaining this video to someone.....
it's not easy. My sister said "Only psycho U2 fans are gonna get it"
Damn right!
I wish I could get it on my U2 tape.......
but I never know how it starts.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:44 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
Try explaining this video to someone.....
it's not easy. My sister said "Only psycho U2 fans are gonna get it"
Damn right!
I wish I could get it on my U2 tape.......
but I never know how it starts.
lol Definitely JUST us psychos. Apparently, judging from other people's posts, I was the only one taping every single minute of the Grammys.. hmm.

------------------

Old 02-28-2002, 06:46 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

yeah, Larry was the first thing that came to mind when they mentioned motorcycles. But since it was the concert video and not the Elevation music video, I couldn't quite see how they were referring to him.

Oh and I did record every bit of the grammies last night because I programmed the VCR and then went to a grammy party. I plan to sit down with it and re-record all the U2 moments onto another tape (keeping all the little random shots of them as well as their wins, and of course this commercial. )

-sula
Old 02-28-2002, 06:49 PM   #10
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevatedmole:
lol Definitely JUST us psychos. Apparently, judging from other people's posts, I was the only one taping every single minute of the Grammys.. hmm.

HaHa I taped the whole thing too because I was running back and forth between my living room (tv) to my office (computer). But when those whores (lady marmaduke) came on, I almost turned it OFF!

Old 02-28-2002, 06:56 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by z edge:
HaHa I taped the whole thing too because I was running back and forth between my living room (tv) to my office (computer). But when those whores (lady marmaduke) came on, I almost turned it OFF!
I *sort* of enjoy the song, but now, after that performance.. YUCK. Pink looked like a troll.

------------------

Old 02-28-2002, 06:58 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
yeah, Larry was the first thing that came to mind when they mentioned motorcycles. But since it was the concert video and not the Elevation music video, I couldn't quite see how they were referring to him.

Oh and I did record every bit of the grammies last night because I programmed the VCR and then went to a grammy party. I plan to sit down with it and re-record all the U2 moments onto another tape (keeping all the little random shots of them as well as their wins, and of course this commercial. )
Yeah -- that party must have been amazing because everyone's talking about it. Eh -- I have to confess, it took me 5 or 6 minutes to "get" the commercial's meaning. I suppose they wanted to show the concert footage from the DVD instead of the video to sell more copies of the DVD..

------------------

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 02-28-2002).]
Old 02-28-2002, 07:33 PM   #13
Refugee

Like I said....the first time I saw the commercial, there was no cut to the DVD, just the Tomb Raider mix was playing(which is now been replaced by music from the DVD). So it was a little easier to understand.
I'm quite impressed that they did a U2 commercial pretty much based on Larry.

Oh, and I wish I could have taped the entire Grammys, but I only had about an hour on my U2 tape. I really wanted to finish it off by having the grammys on there. Small sacrifices, I guess.

[This message has been edited by Mrs.Clayton (edited 02-28-2002).]
Old 03-01-2002, 07:35 PM   #14
MBH
Acrobat

Sorry to be a kill joy here.

The Target video is put out to SELL products.

It hurts U2's integrity and makes them look desperate.

"We were Desperate to be relevant rather than successful"-Bono after the Grammys.

I thought that relevant and succesful go together in some way. I was confused and somewhat annoyed with that remark b/c it makes me wonder why they wrote ATYCLB in the first place: to make radio-friendly hits and sell records or to bring attention back to R-N-R? I think both.

I am curious to hear any replies.
Old 03-01-2002, 07:38 PM   #15
MBH
Acrobat

Quote:
I just saw it for the first time last night during the Grammies. Footage from them doing Elevation in Boston and then it shows some kid laying on the grass listening to them on his headphones...then back to the band...the the kid again. Then some comment about a guy on a motorcycle (I didn't get that...maybe I missed something). All in all, I found it kinda fun to see and hear them featured so much, but I'm sure there will be some who find it just one more nail in the coffin of "selling out". Although to be fair, it is Target advertising to sell a product they carry...the U2 DVD.
Good points.

An astute and intelligent observer would realize that U2 are selling THEMSELVES, NOT a product. This is completely different from lets say, N'Sync in the Chilis commercial....

Old 03-01-2002, 07:53 PM   #16
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by MBH:
...is completely different from lets say, N'Sync in the Chilis commercial....

Chili's grosses me out. I got the worst case of food poisoning I ever had from eating one of their spicy black bean burger dealies. Now every time I even pass by a Chili's or see one of their commercials, I can feel the food poisoning all over again. I kind of get the same way when I hear N'Sync, so maybe the N'Sync/Chili's connection is apropos... of nothing. Nevermind.

Old 03-01-2002, 08:19 PM   #17
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Since I'm not in the US.. can someone describe this commercial in vivid, well worded detail so I can experience it without seeing it? Or if you wanna skimp and summarize, I guess that would be ok too.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:22 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MBH:
Sorry to be a kill joy here.

The Target video is put out to SELL products.

It hurts U2's integrity and makes them look desperate.

"We were Desperate to be relevant rather than successful"-Bono after the Grammys.

I thought that relevant and succesful go together in some way. I was confused and somewhat annoyed with that remark b/c it makes me wonder why they wrote ATYCLB in the first place: to make radio-friendly hits and sell records or to bring attention back to R-N-R? I think both.

I am curious to hear any replies.
O.K., KillJoy!

Actually, over the years, I have seen "commercials" for U2's CDs and tapes/DVDs. I've seen U2 mentioned in Best Buy ads, I've seen them advertised - heavily - in Rolling Stone, I've seen them mentioned in other music store ads, on and on. While this Target commercial focused on U2 (most likely due to the "7" collaboration), it's easy to see how another song could be used in that same ad - and we may very well see that commercial but with another artist at some point in the future.

Old 03-03-2002, 03:15 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Actually, MBH, I think you're dead wrong. The commercial is selling a DVD which IS a product. The ad is one by Target NOT by U2. Just because a store decides to try to get the general public to buy music by an artist whom they carry, does that mean the artist had any say whatsoever in the commercial itself? In the minds of some nay-sayers, every thing that involves U2 can be seen as some sort of "sell-out". *yawn* How original.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:22 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:23 AM
Quote:
Actually, MBH, I think you're dead wrong. The commercial is selling a DVD which IS a product. The ad is one by Target NOT by U2. Just because a store decides to try to get the general public to buy music by an artist whom they carry, does that mean the artist had any say whatsoever in the commercial itself? In the minds of some nay-sayers, every thing that involves U2 can be seen as some sort of "sell-out". *yawn* How original.

*applauds sulawesigirl4

Once again, I find myself agreeing with you sula - and you threw out yet another interesting perspective to this debate (namely the obvious one - that this is a *Target* commercial, not a U2 commercial). Well done!!