So wait... this really happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convoy

Acrobat
So let me get this straight... somebody posted in the other topic that for the Boston DVD the crowd was really hand picked from the people who had been waiting hours there? Um... thats pretty dick.

My opinion and others who were also there and cut in line differ, and some of the people with different opinions than me I really respect. But, I just have to say, that part of the reason U2 brought in others who hadn't been waiting as long, in my understanding, is that they wanted new faces. At this point in the tour there were people who would leave the show early just to get in line for the next night's show. U2 wanted fresh people, new energy, new faces up front. They probably wanted new stimulation for the show, new challenges to create a high energy.

Obviously things backfired and it upset a lot of fans. Maybe I was naive back then but, even though I was cut in line too, I got over it after 5 minutes. :shrug: But like I said, other people have different opinions and I really respect some of them, so take what you want from it all. All I know is this issue is a huge can of worms. Careful opening it. ;)

Originally posted by oliveu2cm . At this point in the tour there were people who would leave the show early just to get in line for the next night's show. [/B]

Leave the show early to queue up for the next show sounds pretty demented to me. Whats the point in going to a show and not seeing the whole thing?

The angle from U2 fans at the show: We waited in line all night and U2 security cut the pretty people in front of us.
The band just wanted the pretty people in the heart for the camera's to pick up for the HBO special.

The angle from Bono and U2: It had nothing to do with the show coincidentally being filmed for HBO and a DVD. The same thirty people kept appearing in the Heart in front of the stage at every single show and the band just wanted to give other fans a shot at the heart.

The odd coincidence: The night they filmed for the DVD was the only night they moved pretty people up in line on the whole tour. Apparently the only time the band cared about new faces and new energy was when the cameras were rolling. How...interesting.

Did U2 personally come out and hand pick the "good looking" folk to be close to the stage? Or did U2's management? Or was it whatever production team which filmed the show for DVD, which I suspect U2 knew nothing about at the time?

Just wondering...

Matthew_Page2000 said:
The angle from U2 fans at the show: We waited in line all night and U2 security cut the pretty people in front of us.
The band just wanted the pretty people in the heart for the camera's to pick up for the HBO special.

The angle from Bono and U2: It had nothing to do with the show coincidentally being filmed for HBO and a DVD. The same thirty people kept appearing in the Heart in front of the stage at every single show and the band just wanted to give other fans a shot at the heart.

The odd coincidence: The night they filmed for the DVD was the only night they moved pretty people up in line on the whole tour. Apparently the only time the band cared about new faces and new energy was when the cameras were rolling. How...interesting.

Or the shit storm that came out of it; news stories; fans crying to Bono; people sitting in the heart, made them change their mind.
They did record 2 nites in Boston, and this only happened on 1 nite.

Last edited:
mind you, I guess if i was in a band and was constantly seeing the same 30 faces right at the front, why not give others a go? Am not that kind of fan and I find that type of adulation slightly uncomfortable and obsessive. Still, if I got to be in front of the stage once, wouldn't that be enough, instead of trying to get to front of stage every concert?

It's not unusual for "more attractive" people to be placed in front for a television taping by producers to give the overall appearance of a "pretty picture." Hard to say if the band had something to do with it or if they even knew what had happened, but the "new faces" up front is a great spin on it, that's for sure.

I remember most people on Interference bashing those people who complained at sat down in the heart. Personally, I felt bad for them and deemed it unfair and pretty sucky. However, those people who were up front and got passed over and then decided to "protest" were like drama queens as well. :rolleyes:

It goes to show you... shower and look your best when you go get in line, before the doors open for a U2 show... you never know, a situation may arise where looking like shit may work against you. At the least stuff your bra, have a paperbag (with eyeholes) handy, or bring a hot friend to the show = no problems.

Flying FuManchu said:
I
It goes to show you... shower and look your best when you go get in line, before the doors open for a U2 show... you never know, a situation may arise where looking like shit may work against you. At the least stuff your bra, have a paperbag (with eyeholes) handy, or bring a hot friend to the show = no problems.

nice! If I do get close to stage this time around, I'll keep an eye out for the socks & papger coming out of the womens tops..

Btw, what do the guys have to do?!?

Dave_BONO_01.jpg

Bono said I could only stay on stage with him for only a little bit cuz I didn't rank too high on the pretty meter:angry:

db9

Flying FuManchu said:

Didn't you try to tackle Bono causing massive hysteria. :p No wonder the "pretty policy" went into effect.

no.
u got the story all wrong.

makes me chuckle.

i was tackled and Bono sprang me free.

read a first time u2 concert's goer's diary-

The fan reached out to Bono, wordlessly asking for his help. The singer stripped himself of his guitar and chucked it at a stage hand. He covered the distance between the center of the stage and the right corner in a fraction of a second. He pushed off one security guard and then another. He shouted something, but with the din of the screaming crowd and Edge's lead guitar, I didn't hear what he said. One security guard or two persisted in forcibly removing the fan. Bono pulled an arm back, hand all fisted up. He was livid. Security let the fan go and the man got up and went with Bono to the center of the stage. The crowd was ecstatic. It was like a victory for fans everywhere. The fan picked Bono up and swung him around (he towered over the little frontman by a good four to six inches). Then, the fan took a lap around the heart and disappeared into the crowd once more as Bono and U2 finished up the show.

thx for the laugh.

peace,

db9
:)

Last edited:
diamond I can't tell if you're pretty or not but that is one drop-dead gorgeous hand.

Pretty ppl? They consider those ppl pretty??

I don't see pretty ppl there...

the HBO producers did this, you can blame U2 for allowing it (they or may not have even known, I am guessing they didn't) , but it was the TV fucks who did this.

oh, and Diamond, I think the problem was that you were actually too high on the pretty meter. Way, way too high ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom