So... does Big Girls Are Best sound like a

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it was recorded during the Pop sessions. The liner notes also say the Flood and Howie B produced the track and they were producers for Pop.

:)

redhill said:
Cool!

Any other unknown Pop songs?

Released later perhaps?

City of Blinding Lights credits Flood as a producer, because it was originally worked on during the Pop sessions. I don't believe it was completed until the HTDAAB sessions though.

redhill said:
Cool!

Any other unknown Pop songs?

Released later perhaps?

other songs from the Pop era:

Holy Joe
North And South Of The River
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Pop Musik
Slow Dancing
Two Shots Of Happy
I'm Not Your Baby (From The End Of Violence Soundtrack... this is the most POP sounding non-lp track in my opinion, and is very much worth tracking down. Make sure you find the regular version with Sinead O Connor and not the Skysplitter Dub version, which is an instrumental track. The lyrics alone are worth the download)

COBL was only arounded in musical form.

lyrically it is about 27/10/01 NYC show at the start of streets when the lights came on.

Clawgrabber said:

I'm Not Your Baby (From The End Of Violence Soundtrack... this is the most POP sounding non-lp track in my opinion, and is very much worth tracking down. Make sure you find the regular version with Sinead O Connor and not the Skysplitter Dub version, which is an instrumental track. The lyrics alone are worth the download)

Why dont i have this track!???! waaa where can i find?
can anybody please mail this to me? I will be very thankful

pascal_hommelberg@yahoo.com

phommel said:
Why dont i have this track!???! waaa where can i find?
can anybody please mail this to me? I will be very thankful

Check out the soundtrack to The End Of Violence, that whole soundtrack is killer! (with songs by Whiskeytown, Tom Waits, Roy Orbison, Ry Cooder, etc.). I also want to buy the original score by Ry Cooder once.

:up:

Aygo said:
Wasn't 'north and south of the river' recorded in 1995 (before the real Pop sessions), and isn't 'Slow dancing' original version from 1989?

Yes and yes. And Pop Muzik and Happiness Is A Warm Gun are covers (by M and The Beatles respectively). And "Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Said" was written in 1992 and performed once at Frank Sinatra's 80th birthday party in 1996 (the released version is from that evening).

:)

Big Girls are Best is a song 10 times cheesier than Elevation.
That's saying a lot.

Aygo said:
Wasn't 'north and south of the river' recorded in 1995 (before the real Pop sessions), and isn't 'Slow dancing' original version from 1989?

yeah, and slow dancing was also released a b-side on the Stay single back in 93 or 94.

redhill said:
Yea but it is not trying to be serious like Elevation.

It is meant to throwaway and trashy IMO.

Hmm how is Elevation trying to be serious?

LJT said:

Hmm how is Elevation trying to be serious?

It is in Bono's tone when he is singing. Tone of voice says a lot more then words ever could... and he sounds serious when he sings... L-A-VA-TIONNNNNNN

However... the presentation on this tour is very much a tease... I like it.

Bono sounds more playful on BGABest

recorded AFTER the pop tour? don't you think it would have been recorded in consideration and during the recording for the Pop album?
i dunno, just makes more sense to me. i mean, i 'm not sure they would still be the mindset of doing a song like that AFTER months and months of the Pop tour.

I know the did some recording soon after Popmart. I think the recording credits for Big Girls matches.

Are you suggesting that Big Girls was done at the same time as - Holy Joe - since the guitar tone and song attack are somewhat similar?

u2fp

"Two Shots of Happy..." was recorded in 1995 (Frank Sinatra was born in 1915).

And so we're clear on it, the version of "Slow Dancing" with Willie Nelson on vocals was a new recording from 1997.

Bono and the Edge recorded a different version of "North and South of the River" with Christy Moore in 1995, but I'm pretty sure the version on the flipside of "Staring at the Sun" is a new recording.

No one's mentioned it, but I'm pretty sure "Neon Lights" was recorded during the Pop era for some Kraftwerk compilation that didn't pan out.

So the extra Pop material list would look like:
  • "Holy Joe"
  • "North and South of the River"
  • "Happiness Is A Warm Gun"
  • "Pop Musik"
  • "Slow Dancing" (1997 version)
  • "I'm Not Your Baby"
  • "Big Girls Are Best"
  • "Neon Lights"
  • a fuckload of remixes
These were all produced by Flood.

Last edited: