Should U2 Abandon HTDAAB And Record A New Album Immediately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convoy said:
All I can say is wait till Miracle Drug becomes a single.

With Sometimes just starting to get played, and songs like Miracle Drug, Original Of The Species, COBL, this album has huge commercial potential as yet untapped..

jick said:
Don't get me wrong. I personally like HTDAAB a lot. I honestly think it is U2's best album since ATYCLB.

:lol:

Well I would hope you would think that, since it's U2's ONLY album since ATYCLB.

But anyway, on with the trolling.

No, the band should stick with the album and megatour coming up, and take time to make a new album in 2006:wink:

u2 should disown every album theyve ever done, change their names, dye their hair pink, blue, aqua and green (all four colors per band member per quarter of the head) and then start making real records. im talking ukeleles and accordians here.

then, and only then, will they be a commercial success.

I thought this album was a giant seller. How many sold worldwide so far, I had heard 9million in February? Is this bollox? Anyway getting back to the thread, I think the album is just not that good whether its selling or not in the good ole' US of A. I would love to see a quick album in the more alternative vein of Zooropa but thats hardly gonna help sales in the USA where there idea of a good song is Billy Ray Cyrus and Achy Breaky Heart? Anyway why are U2 so obsessed with making music that Americans love? What they should do is get back to being a creative band and going with their heads and not thinking about their fucking wallets all the time!:wink:

Re: Re: Should U2 Abandon HTDAAB And Record A New Album Immediately?

Zootlesque said:

HTDAAB doesn't deserve all this negativity. It's as if it's cool to dis U2 these days and everybody's doing it. :madspit:
Amen. I don't understand people.

financeguy said:

They used the services of a former Spice Girls producer on HTDAAB, I assume that's what he's talking about.

And on "In A Little While" off ATYCLB. Richard Stannard I think.

Diemen said:

:lol:

Well I would hope you would think that, since it's U2's ONLY album since ATYCLB.

But anyway, on with the trolling.

I didn't exactly mean it as it came off. I meant that HTDAAB is quite brilliant, their best since ATYCLB which was pretty good also. ATYCLB is highly rated for me, better than POP or Rattle and Hum or The Unforgettable Fire. But let's save that argument for another thread. My point is that I highly rate ATYCLB and HTDAAB is right up there with it. Hope you find the order in all of the disorder in my writing.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
After a glimpse of the Billboard charts, I have more tidbits to add to show U2's disappointing chart movement:

-American Idols who were released the same week and one week before U2, respectively, are still maintaining a decent chart position after all those weeks with Kelly Clarkson at #10 and Fantasia at #14. U2 are #41. None of the idols got any Grammy.

-U2's current archrival, Green Day, have been out 23 weeks and have won less Grammies than U2 - yet they are still a fixture in the top 3. U2 are #41.

-Eminem, who U2 pipped for #1, is still in the top 10 and is already certified 4x platinum - while U2 are out of the top 40 and only 3X platinum.

So it is clear U2 are failing and falling fast when compared to their peers. Let's not even get to the discussion about music downloads taking album sales because you'd have to be left asking why U2's rivals have managed to stay afloat in the charts while U2 are gone.

Without a doubt, the album is a commercial failure of sorts. To all those who say the pace is similar to ATYCLB, I seriously challenge your statements. I'd bet it won't even hit 4 million by the middle of next year.

Cheers,

J

Do any of the "Idols" have an album that has sold more than BOMB over the past 15 weeks?

How much is Green Day going to GROSS on their current tour? Which album, BOMB or Green Day's has sold more albums worldwide?

If going triple platinum in the USA and selling over 8.5 million copies worldwide is a "commercial failure", what would you consider to be a marginal success? How many albums released in 2004 have sold over 8.5 million copies worldwide?

Oh as far as your "challenge", consider this: Week 15 total sales numbers for ATYCLB VS. "BOMB" in the USA!

ATYCLB: 1,896,000

BOMB: 2,515,470

If BOMB sales an average of just 21,832 copies per week, in the USA, up to the middle of next year, it will pass the 4,000,000 mark at the point you said it would not.

STING2 said:

Do any of the "Idols" have an album that has sold more than BOMB over the past 15 weeks?

My point is not about current sales but the current status of the album and its staying power on the charts. The "Idols" seem to have lingered longer.

STING2 said:
How much is Green Day going to GROSS on their current tour? Which album, BOMB or Green Day's has sold more albums worldwide?
\

I am not privy to ticket sales pricing and information of Green Day. As for worldwide sales, U2 will always conquer Europe. That is already a given for them. They have already proven that by releasing an album called POP which the Europeans still gobble up anyway. U2 can release anything in Europe and as long as it has U2 on it then it will sell like hotcakes. The real challenge for U2 has always been America. I have made it clear from the start that my post was foucsed squarely on America. Even U2 have always stressed the importance of capturing the American market. With the current state of their album in the charts, it looks lik the American market is slowly getting tired of them.

STING2 said:
If going triple platinum in the USA and selling over 8.5 million copies worldwide is a "commercial failure", what would you consider to be a marginal success? How many albums released in 2004 have sold over 8.5 million copies worldwide?

Again, this isn't about worldwide sales but American sales. I have already given my previous analysis that at least half of HTDAAB sales were consummated unheard. So at least half of the sales were based on the marketing hype surrounding the album or the hope that every song was a Vertigo. No less than doctorwho (our resident chart expert) said many times over that it will only be after the Christmas period where we will truly see the "legs" of the album. Looks like it is already on a wheelchair by now.

STING2 said:
Oh as far as your "challenge", consider this: Week 15 total sales numbers for ATYCLB VS. "BOMB" in the USA!

ATYCLB: 1,896,000

BOMB: 2,515,470

If BOMB sales an average of just 21,832 copies per week, in the USA, up to the middle of next year, it will pass the 4,000,000 mark at the point you said it would not.

Averaging 21,000 copies a week is a tall order considering their current chart debacle. Right now, HTDAAB has only a 600,000 lead over ATYCLB. But that gap was much bigger at the start, and it has grown smaller and smaller. If you do a chart study and projection, you will see that the gap is narrower. ATYCLB never languished this far down in the charts on its 15th week.

Recording a new album would be a great way to breathe some life into waning fan interest. I find it ironic that here in a U2 fan forum of all places is where there is a lot of opposition to U2 recording a new album. Every other fan forum would want their "hero band" to record new albums and put them out one after the other.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

My point is not about current sales but the current status of the album and its staying power on the charts. The "Idols" seem to have lingered longer.

\

I am not privy to ticket sales pricing and information of Green Day. As for worldwide sales, U2 will always conquer Europe. That is already a given for them. They have already proven that by releasing an album called POP which the Europeans still gobble up anyway. U2 can release anything in Europe and as long as it has U2 on it then it will sell like hotcakes. The real challenge for U2 has always been America. I have made it clear from the start that my post was foucsed squarely on America. Even U2 have always stressed the importance of capturing the American market. With the current state of their album in the charts, it looks lik the American market is slowly getting tired of them.

Again, this isn't about worldwide sales but American sales. I have already given my previous analysis that at least half of HTDAAB sales were consummated unheard. So at least half of the sales were based on the marketing hype surrounding the album or the hope that every song was a Vertigo. No less than doctorwho (our resident chart expert) said many times over that it will only be after the Christmas period where we will truly see the "legs" of the album. Looks like it is already on a wheelchair by now.

Averaging 21,000 copies a week is a tall order considering their current chart debacle. Right now, HTDAAB has only a 600,000 lead over ATYCLB. But that gap was much bigger at the start, and it has grown smaller and smaller. If you do a chart study and projection, you will see that the gap is narrower. ATYCLB never languished this far down in the charts on its 15th week.

Recording a new album would be a great way to breathe some life into waning fan interest. I find it ironic that here in a U2 fan forum of all places is where there is a lot of opposition to U2 recording a new album. Every other fan forum would want their "hero band" to record new albums and put them out one after the other.

Cheers,

J

I think we all want a new album, but on the right terms. Instead of trying to save a sinking ship but one that is being built to go farther than the rocket ship before it. I know personally for me I could use an album in a year or so, but not now, not once the tour starts. After the tour they can pick up the pace again and put out something new, not something to make us forget or to save us from this album. I wanna stay in the HTDAAB phases while its fun.

Jick, you are NOT going to win an argument with Sting2 on album sales. I suggest you throw in the towel now.:)

jick said:

That is already a given for them. They have already proven that by releasing an album called POP which the Europeans still gobble up anyway. U2 can release anything in Europe and as long as it has U2 on it then it will sell like hotcakes.
Oh nonsense. Pop sold better in Europe because Europeans are more attuned to dance type music, you make it sound as though European buyers are a bunch of sheep.

jick said:

I find it ironic that here in a U2 fan forum of all places is where there is a lot of opposition to U2 recording a new album. Every other fan forum would want their "hero band" to record new albums and put them out one after the other.

:eyebrow: Very clever, indeed! Changing the subject from your sensationalist post so that un-suspecting people would go "No... what're you talking about? Of course, they should release another album soon, in fact right now, now now." and put smileys like :drool: . Nobody here has shown a lack of interest regarding a totally new album. So there is no need for that above post of yours.

Very clever. :wink:

jick said:

\

Cheers,

J

How many of those Idol albums will still be on the charts in March of 2006? Take a guess where BOMB will be this time next year after the Grammy awards?

Well, the average price on Green Day's current tour in the USA is $33 and the band are not selling seats behind the stage in the arena's they play. Despite this, there are several Green Day shows that have not soldout. U2 tickets on the other hand come in at an average price of $100 in the USA. U2 utilize all seats in the arena playing to a full house. All 28 shows for the first leg sold out in minutes! Most people who tried to get tickets for the first leg in the USA were unable to get them. U2 will likely have the highest Grossing North American tour in history by the end of 2005!

The American market while important is only 33% of the global market. U2 has always been a worldwide band, not a band that only toured and tried to push the album in just America, like "Journey" or the "Dave Matthews Band".

For the record, POP only sold 2 million copies in Europe, half of what ATYCLB sold. In the United Kingdom, POP sold 300,000 copies, after 15 weeks, BOMB has sold 1,008,000 copies! So this idea of Europeans being zombies purchasing anything with "U2" on it is not true.

The marketing situation for BOMB is no different from most U2 albums. Most fans have not heard the entire album before they purchase it, I think thats rather obvious. But to some degree with technology, this is changing.

The fact remains that "BOMB" has outsold ATYCLB in the USA. Its difficult to predict where BOMB will be precisely 40 weeks from now, but never underestimate the greatest band in the world with the greatest management team.

In addition, can you name any album released after November 23rd, 2004 in the USA that has sold more than BOMB in the USA?

My favorite line is J saying that ATYCLB was "ONLY" 600,000 copies behind The Bomb at the same point after its release.

That's more than a gold record. It's, what, 1/6 of the album's sales so far?

I'd say that's a damned wide margin. And while ATYCLB may have been in a higher chart spot, we'd have to compare what was above it to today's chart. I do remember that 2000/01 was a much stronger year than what we're looking at now. Combine that with illegal downloading and it makes The Bomb's accomplishments that much more impressive.

Go created a new pointless thread, J, this one's decomposing as we speak.

laz

STING2 said:

How many of those Idol albums will still be on the charts in March of 2006? Take a guess where BOMB will be this time next year after the Grammy awards?

Well, with this year's Grammies - despite a 3 of 3 sweep, Bomb could only get to #20. Where was ATYCLB after the first Grammy wave (when BD won 3 of 3)? I bet better than #20. So next year, I don't see HTDAAB being pushed up by the Grammies as high as ATYCLB was pushed up.

Well, the average price on Green Day's current tour in the USA is $33 and the band are not selling seats behind the stage in the arena's they play. Despite this, there are several Green Day shows that have not soldout. U2 tickets on the other hand come in at an average price of $100 in the USA. U2 utilize all seats in the arena playing to a full house. All 28 shows for the first leg sold out in minutes! Most people who tried to get tickets for the first leg in the USA were unable to get them. U2 will likely have the highest Grossing North American tour in history by the end of 2005!

The first leg sales occured before the album started plummeting down the charts. U2 also brilliantly had a "fall back" option which was the ticket presale website members just in case the tour wouldn't sell. But the tour did and the presale people got burned. But that is another story. It's just that anticipation for the first leg was high. But my main concern was not the first leg but the third leg. Since you are the maestro of all U2 statistics, care to give me statistics about Popmart's third leg? Wasn't it correct that they were not selling out venues? Is it also correct to say that there were 3rd leg Elevation Tour arena venues that were not sold out? I have never expressed any concern about the first leg.

The American market while important is only 33% of the global market. U2 has always been a worldwide band, not a band that only toured and tried to push the album in just America, like "Journey" or the "Dave Matthews Band".

33% is a large chunk of the market. But the American market is bigger than that in terms of exposure and media mileage that will trickle in to other markets. Everyone knows U2 is a worldwide band - that goes without saying. But you can see from some quotes they made prior to HTDAAB that they gave particular importance to dominating the US charts again. It's not about what market is bigger. Its about U2's priorities and goals and whether or not they have achieved it. Languisihing outside the top 50 just two weeks after the Grammy 3 of 3 sweep isn't exactly what U2 had intended.

For the record, POP only sold 2 million copies in Europe, half of what ATYCLB sold. In the United Kingdom, POP sold 300,000 copies, after 15 weeks, BOMB has sold 1,008,000 copies! So this idea of Europeans being zombies purchasing anything with "U2" on it is not true.

Thanks for clearing the air. I guess POP was truly rejected by all races and religions around the world. But it is still safe to say I think that the Europeans are still "zombies" when it comes to going to see U2 live.

The marketing situation for BOMB is no different from most U2 albums. Most fans have not heard the entire album before they purchase it, I think thats rather obvious. But to some degree with technology, this is changing.

I agree with this statement that most purchase albums unheard. But when others start hearing it, if they like the musical quality then they will start buying it. This was the case with ATYCLB. Can you please provide me week 15 sales and chart positions for ATYCLB? With ATYCLB, as more people heard the music - they kept it afloat in the charts. With HTDAAB, after Vertigo -- ABOY and SYCMIOYO are failures in reviving the dying interest in U2. Now that people have heard the music, it seems they have made a decision to not buy it.

The fact remains that "BOMB" has outsold ATYCLB in the USA. Its difficult to predict where BOMB will be precisely 40 weeks from now, but never underestimate the greatest band in the world with the greatest management team.

I am not underestimating them. They have succeeding and persevered through all these years because they have done things outside of the norm. They have defied convention and done things no one else will ever do. If they consider recording a new album at this time, it would be outside the norm and something unheard of agai. So it would still be a great decision if they decide to pursue it.

In addition, can you name any album released after November 23rd, 2004 in the USA that has sold more than BOMB in the USA?

Once again, my premise is not raw sales figures because none of the November 23 releases had the marketing machine of U2. It is more about staying power and longevity on the charts which U2 seems to lack at this stage.

Thanks so much for contributing to this thread. Your knowledge of U2 sales statistics is very informative and valuable, and I look forward to using these figures in future posts. I look forward to your replies to my queries in some paragraphs above asking for clarifications on some figures.

Cheers,

J

ACK! This is making my head spin.

Just admit it..HTDAAB is selling more then ATYCLB.More people have got interested in u2 when ATYCLB was released.I see more people come on here beacause of the interest in the band since the release.Think about that for a minute.L8R!

*thinks to self* Damn I feel old.

Aardvark747 said:
This has made great reading with my early morning cup of tea:wink:

My threads never fail to provide great reading to all the U2 fanatics in this forum who like stimulating intellectual discussions. Others have to resort to sensationalized journalism, or tabloidish factual presentation, or melodramatic over-exagerrations just to draw discussions out of the intellectuals of this forum. I personally don't feel the need to resort to those tactics. I just pick a set of facts, present it as it is, draw the possible implications of the facts, then present it to Interference for intellectually stimulating discussion.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
jick said:

My threads never fail to provide great reading to all the U2 fanatics in this forum who like stimulating intellectual discussions. Others have to resort to sensationalized journalism, or tabloidish factual presentation, or melodramatic over-exagerrations just to draw discussions out of the intellectuals of this forum. I personally don't feel the need to resort to those tactics. I just pick a set of facts, present it as it is, draw the possible implications of the facts, then present it to Interference for intellectually stimulating discussion.

Cheers,

J

:huh:
I got lost at 'stimulating'!

Back
Top Bottom