rock song of the Year? U2 vs. Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lmao:

1. Coldplay are not rock. As much as they ripoff UF-era U2, it's not as if they are making Wire or Indian Summer Sky.
2. Coldplay's emotions are so FAKE. Chris Martin's clearly happy - a wife and child, and stacks of money to support them - and he just sounds so fake, whining away like he does.

U2 shit all over Coldplay.

Axver said:

1. Coldplay are not rock. As much as they ripoff UF-era U2, it's not as if they are making Wire or Indian Summer Sky.
2. Coldplay's emotions are so FAKE. Chris Martin's clearly happy - a wife and child, and stacks of money to support them - and he just sounds so fake, whining away like he does.

:up: :lmao:

Axver said:

Yup. Completely agree. :up: :yes:

I fell asleep during Fix You at Live 8. That is the most boring, overrated, overhyped crap I've heard for a very long time :yawn:

Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own :ohmy: :rockon:

I own the new coldplay album and kinda like it. I think it is pretty close to their previous two, and white shadows is definitely their best song of it (listening to it right now). Fix you, eh, pretty boring, i really dont know why they made it a single before the former. However, i think one of their songs will win b/c vertigo and ABOY aren't that great of songs. Now if U2 did Love and Peace or Else as a single, as they should have, this would be no contest. I personally don't like H-bomb, but this song ROCKS. Live, it was probably the highlight of the first half of the show (5-7-05 chicago). If they even somehow improved it on a single version, I think it would have been very successful.

Vertigo, All Because of You :|
White Shadows :up: :up:
Love and Peace or Else :drool: :drool: :rockon: :rockon: :bow: :bow:

So, yes, coldplay will win b/c u2 did a poor job at releasing singles. :reject:

Coldplay are a rock band? You could have fooled me.

Fix You is a horrible song on so many levels. I hate the faux sensitivity. And the lyrics really, really suck. The subject matter has so much potential to be really touching, but Chris Martin just blows it. I understand what he's trying to say, but it makes it sound like the subject of the song is a broken toy, not a human being in pain. There's so many words in the English language and the best he can come up with is he wants to "fix you"? I'm the first to admit Bono's lyric-writing isn't exactly what it used to be, but I'll bet he could take the same kind of subject matter and at least write something reasonably moving.

Last edited:
Axver said:

I couldn't disagree more.

I usally agree with Axver all the time, but I am giving credit where credit is due. A Rush of Blood to the Head and X&Y are head and shoulders better than All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismatle an Atomic Bomb. Based on back catalog and live performance, Coldplay come up second...but they still are a damn good band. Just because a guitar using a delay is on an album doesn't make it a rip off. I hear many argue that it is less of a rip off of Edge than him using the same effect for 20 years. I don't feel that way...but Coldplay isn't a rip off of U2 and to say so is ridiculous. No offense to anyone but if you cannot appreciate both bands in different ways and not see that they are not a threat to each other (except at stupid awards shows) it is your loss. Coldplay is one of the greatest bands in the world..and so is U2.

U2 isn't rock either. In the dictionary under pop you will find the song Vertigo and Beautiful Day. Let's just be honest, that's all.

Flame on.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:
U2 isn't rock either.

How is Vertigo not a rock song?

Are you claiming All Because of You, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Like A Song, I Will Follow, God Part II, Desire, The Fly, Gone, Elevation, etc. aren't rock songs either?

jmrhsp said:
In my opinion, there is no way that a "Vertigo", "COBL", or "ABOY", will be able to compete againts "White Shadows" or "Fix You".

What does everyone else think?

i think you need to stop eating paint chips.

in terms of rock song, U2 blows them out of the water. the ambience in white shadows was janked right from the edge's shimmer effect. i really enjoy coldplay and the fact that they respect and look up to U2, but im really getting sick of these stupid threads trying to see who is better. it's like comparing a kitten to a lion in terms of ferocity or, in terms of music, michael bolton to elvis.

coldplay are a good band, but once U2 is over and coldplay has been selling out stadiums for 25 years, then you can ask how they compare.

cmb737 said:

I couldn't disagree more.

I usally agree with Axver all the time, but I am giving credit where credit is due. A Rush of Blood to the Head and X&Y are head and shoulders better than All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismatle an Atomic Bomb. Based on back catalog and live performance, Coldplay come up second...but they still are a damn good band. Just because a guitar using a delay is on an album doesn't make it a rip off. I hear many argue that it is less of a rip off of Edge than him using the same effect for 20 years. I don't feel that way...but Coldplay isn't a rip off of U2 and to say so is ridiculous. No offense to anyone but if you cannot appreciate both bands in different ways and not see that they are not a threat to each other (except at stupid awards shows) it is your loss. Coldplay is one of the greatest bands in the world..and so is U2.

U2 isn't rock either. In the dictionary under pop you will find the song Vertigo and Beautiful Day. Let's just be honest, that's all.

Flame on.

I agree...well said!

Bono's shades said:

How is Vertigo not a rock song?

Are you claiming All Because of You, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Like A Song, I Will Follow, God Part II, Desire, The Fly, Gone, Elevation, etc. aren't rock songs either?

Mostly, yes.

But more to the point I was referring to them currently, and regardless of what everyone may or may not want to believe U2 has been putting out pop records lately. I hear Bono referred to more as a pop star, than a rock star. Scott Weiland is rock star, David Navarro is a rock star, Jimmy Page is a rock star...

Bono, Chris Martin, Brandon Flowers...pop stars.

By the way, I love pop. Being labeled as a pop act does not make you a Britney Spears clone.

I think U2 were rock stars in the early 90s, but that was about it, only because that of that excess and crazyness they surrounded themselves in.

I can understand if Chris Martin was some lonely, depressed, pseudo-crazy guy writing horribly cliched lyrics and I would like their music more, instead of this forced soul and passion that I feel is lacking from atleast C-Mart is a singer and songwriter. They're doing what almost killed Oasis's career when they released Be Here Now, 2 already hit albums and now they're PROCLAIMING they're the best or 2nd best. Part of what influences how I listen to music is how I view the person who sings it. I couldn't listen to Michael Jackson for the longest time because of his ordeals, I refuse to listen to all of these poser rock bands coming out because they are completely chewing up and spitting out the definition of the word Punk Rock. I'm close to not liking Coldplay because of atleast Chris Martin and how he portrays himself as the sad, falsetto guy. The drummer and bassist r pretty good tho.
Other bands who have tried to be in that Numero Uno spot haven't lasted their very long either...

Ex: Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Oasis, and soon to be Coldplay.

Summing it up, Coldplay will never, ever be as great as U2, they might be more popular soon to the younger crowd *I know cuz I'm with them all day*, but never will reach that spot in their professional career... All of this is just my opinion and I don't think it' fact.

^^ Don't mess with Pearl Jam.

They do more for their fans then any other band in the world. They are musicians first and foremost. Just because they don't make radio friendly pop music, doesn't mean they haven't lasted (thus their Sold Out Canadian Tour with no new album released). PJ, to their credit, don't try to be popular.

Plus, they are a excellent live act.

coldplay are ok; certainly overrated by the media.

but they are no u2.

not now.

in 10 years, we'll talk.

but I doubt it.

jmrhsp said:
Let me start off by saying that U2 has always been my favorite band;however, I strongly believe that U2 will have major competition from coldplay for best rock song of the year.

There are two new Coldplay songs that are much better than any of the new U2 songs. Yes, I'm talking about "White Shadows" and "Fix You". Those songs are fantastic!!!! Talk about taking you for a ride!!!! Those songs are magical and they remind me a lot of the U2 classics.

In my opinion, there is no way that a "Vertigo", "COBL", or "ABOY", will be able to compete againts "White Shadows" or "Fix You".

I don't think "Fix You" is going to get a nod for best Rock Song, "White Shadows" might, but it certainly does not rock as much as several songs from BOMB.

BOMB is U2's 3rd best album and while X&Y is good, Coldplay will probably lose out to U2 in any catagory they get put into against U2. U2 is a Grammy powerhouse having won 17 awards, 10 in the last 4 years. U2's popularity among the voters is unlikely to change any time soon.

jmrhsp said:

In my opinion, "COBL" and "OOTS" are better than anything off X&Y. I am not being biased towards U2, either. I simply feel that Coldplay's recent outting is their worst effort so far (while AROBTTH is probably my favorite album of this millenium) and U2's is one of their best. Different strokes for different folks...

starvinmarvin said:

OK, OK, I know I went too far, but I still think that U2 is at their best when they are doing mid-tempo, epic songs (i.e. Bad, Streets, WOWY)

I wouldn't consider Streets to be a mid-tempo song. If you disagree, just look at the crowd during that song.

U2Acrobat8 said:

Agreed. Now, I am the biggest U2 fan there is. They will always be my favorite, but I love Coldplay too. I just don't really try to compare the two. Both bands fulfill different needs and loves of music for me. I looove the song Fix You. Sent shivers up my spine the first time I heard it.

As far as who would win. In my little area of the world, Speed of Sound is played even more than Vertigo, and unforntately SYCMIOYO is already off the airwaves and I never even really heard ABOY. We'll just have to see how the next Coldplay single does.

That being said, U2 has sold out every venue in America many times over, and I can't even unload an extra pair of really good Coldplay tickets here in Albuquerque for face value!

So it's all a toss up really. Did my post make any sense at all?:wink:

WALK ON did not even crack the HOT 100 airplay chart in the USA back in 2001, yet it won RECORD OF THE YEAR, the second biggest Grammy given out after ALBUM OF THE YEAR. How well the album, song, or band did on the charts does not matter when it comes to the Grammy voters who decide the winners.

you know,
I was routing for coldplay; I really wanted to like their new album...I wanted to LOVE it.... because to me, there aren't that many good bands right now, and u2 won't be around forever.

however, the lyrics are shite and the music is just OK......it doesn't blow the roof off or cause you to get excited.......maybe it causes you to get melancholy or to look through the IKEA catalog for a new bookshelf...but that's about it.

"Speed Of Sound" is the only track I'd put up there with "City", "Sometimes", "Vertigo", "Miracle Drug" and "ABOY".......the rest of the tracks on the Coldplay album are definitely better than the rest of HTDAAB though. So, I will say that X+Y is a stronger album all the way through, but the highlights on HTDAAB blow it out of the water.

BTW, Coldplay is really just a lot of hype. Wouldn't even put it in my Top 15 albums of the year so far........ (go to www.pitchforkmedia.com to see all of the great new music that's out there)

BigMacPhisto said:
"Speed Of Sound" is the only track I'd put up there with "City", "Sometimes", "Vertigo", "Miracle Drug" and "ABOY".......the rest of the tracks on the Coldplay album are definitely better than the rest of HTDAAB though. So, I will say that X+Y is a stronger album all the way through, but the highlights on HTDAAB blow it out of the water.

nah.

The OOTS said:
^^ Don't mess with Pearl Jam.

They do more for their fans then any other band in the world. They are musicians first and foremost. Just because they don't make radio friendly pop music, doesn't mean they haven't lasted (thus their Sold Out Canadian Tour with no new album released). PJ, to their credit, don't try to be popular.

Plus, they are a excellent live act.

I love Pearl Jam, but this idea that they don't try to be popular is false. They signed to a big lable and made video's. Declaring they would not make anymore video's in the middle of early 90s Grunge made them even more popular, at least for a few years. Aside from not making video's(does not matter today anyways because MTV almost never plays videos), they play the rock game as much as anyone. They release their songs to the radio and tour, just like artist have done for decades and they have had a huge label to back them up, until just recently.

That being said, it is true that Pearl Jam does do more for their fans than any other band, which is nice, but does not make them the best in the world.

If we are talking Grammy wins, I don' think that has anything to do with how great the song is...the Grammy voters love veterans and they love people that have won previously (haven't Sheryl Crow and Lenny Kravitz won like three years in a row for their prospective categories?) If U2 were up against Coldplay U2 would most likely win easily.

As for the debate over whether the two bands are even rock or not...U2 may be pop these days (with some rock songs occasionally) but you can't say POP, AB, War, Boy, etc. weren't generally rock albums. Coldplay, on the other hand...well, I'm not sure what they are, I would think that Speed of Sound would belong in an alternative category (whatever that even means today) more than a rock category.

Re: Re: rock song of the Year? U2 vs. Coldplay

explorer said:

i think you need to stop eating paint chips.

in terms of rock song, U2 blows them out of the water. the ambience in white shadows was janked right from the edge's shimmer effect. i really enjoy coldplay and the fact that they respect and look up to U2, but im really getting sick of these stupid threads trying to see who is better. it's like comparing a kitten to a lion in terms of ferocity or, in terms of music, michael bolton to elvis.

coldplay are a good band, but once U2 is over and coldplay has been selling out stadiums for 25 years, then you can ask how they compare.

:applaud: :up:

Uhhh...if White Shadows wins, then it's basically the same as U2 winning, because I'm listening to it now and it sounds exactly like fucking early U2! Seriously, put some of Bono's vocals on there and you'd have me fooled.

Way to be original. White Shadows is a good song but it sounds too much like U2 for me to take it seriously! If it wins best Rock Song I will laugh. And Fix You, that's not a fucking rock song. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is more rock than that!

I don't know who will win and I don't really care...I think if U2 released Love and Peace or Else as a single it could have chance. Vertigo already had its run and All Because of You didn't do too well... City of Blinding Lights I wasn't even aware was released here, christ. As it is now the only song I see qualifying is Sometimes, and who knows if that will even make it.

The Grammys suck anyway. Or whatever awards show this is about. They all suck. They should let me give awards to people, that would rule.

BigMacPhisto said:

BTW, Coldplay is really just a lot of hype. Wouldn't even put it in my Top 15 albums of the year so far........ (go to www.pitchforkmedia.com to see all of the great new music that's out there)

I agree partially with your point. I actually like X&Y, but I absolutely love HTDAAB and think that overall it is a better album, but we all have our opinions. It is subjective. But like you said, the highlights on HDAAB are just outstanding. :up:

And you're right, Coldplay is just a lot of hype.

STING2 said:

I love Pearl Jam, but this idea that they don't try to be popular is false. They signed to a big lable and made video's. Declaring they would not make anymore video's in the middle of early 90s Grunge made them even more popular, at least for a few years. Aside from not making video's(does not matter today anyways because MTV almost never plays videos), they play the rock game as much as anyone. They release their songs to the radio and tour, just like artist have done for decades and they have had a huge label to back them up, until just recently.

That being said, it is true that Pearl Jam does do more for their fans than any other band, which is nice, but does not make them the best in the world.

Never said they were the best. But, they don't go claiming that they are in front of the world either....like some bands...which is kinda of my point.

How many videos have they made from their last 3 albums? How many has U2 made?

How many pop, mainstream albums has Pearl Jam made in the last 10 years?

And, what album are they supporting for their summer tour?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom