review of VErtigo : pitchforkmedia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcool

The Fly
U2: "Vertigo"
One, two, three, fourteen-- and they're off! U2 have returned from the calculated "comeback" of 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind with "Vertigo", a surprisingly uncalculated single that may not constitute a return to form, exactly, but recaptures much of the boundless energy that has characterized their best work-- minus Bono's heavy affectation and the band's traditionally stadium-oriented sound. The song sounds delightfully tossed off, from its silly Spanish count-off to the effervescent post-punk of its verses, replete with affably shallow lyrical imagery ("Those bullets rip the sky of ink with gold/ They twinkle as the boys play rock and roll").
The band sporadically adds a few grandiose flourishes: The Edge manages to drench the song's bridge in his trademark anthemic guitar stabs, and Bono momentarily stops preening and resumes brooding, belting out the song's climactic line ("I can feeeeel!") in heartfelt, self-glorifying agony. But for the most part, U2 avoids layered sonic grandeur, instead using an animated bassline and bouncing pop beat as an anchor through most of the song. The band members really seem to be enjoying themselves here, which, given the plethora of political and social causes available for some good old-fashioned heart-on-sleeve wall-of-sound monster rock championing, is actually kind of refreshing. Enjoy it while you can-- someone's bound to tell Bono there's a war on. [David Moore; September 24th, 2004]

I love to hate people who do reviews and even more so the wanks that call themselves critics. He wasn't really harsh....or constructive, but whaddya expect.

yeah, I was surprised. that is basically a perfect score coming from pitchfork.

their ATYCLB review was fair.
they were more positive than me.
they actually praised some of the music but, justifiably, took A LOT of points away for bono's lazy and "lame" lyrical quest to change the world.

in this songm they seem to be praising the banality. taking relief for an instant in U2 having fun rather than preaching.

extra! extra! pitchfork gives U2 good review. world as we know it ends.

Pitchfork gives U2 a good review???!!??? Is it April 1st or something? These pseudo music-god snobs have always shit on U2. Cool to see the band can continue to win converts.

:lol:
The ATYCLB and Best of 90's "reviews" actually spent more time talking about U2 "selling" out than the actual music. (then again indie mentality and U2 praising just don't go together)

Back
Top Bottom