Rest of U2 Survivor: Pop - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Do You Feel Loved

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Mofo

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • If God Will Send His Angels

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Last Night On Earth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miami

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • The Playboy Mansion

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • If You Wear That Velvet Dress

• Please

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Wake Up Dead Man

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
corianderstem said:
:lol: Yes, he gets points for that.

But loses points in live versions for breathing in a horrible spot.

You gotta give it (BREATH) aWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Real singers don't take breaths in the middle of phrases like that, man. :tsk:

Bono still thinks he's a punk rock shouter.

Not to send up the Peterrrrr signal or anything, but Bono had all sorts of horrid voice moments during the Pop tour.

I can't even listen to Pride on the Popmart DVD. It hurts my throat just to hear him strain so much.

corianderstem said:
I used to like LNOE. But it hasn't held up for me at all. I don't even think much of the chorus anymore.

That's all I've got. My love affair with that song was short-lived, and it just doesn't turn me on anymore.

This is especially hilarious coming from Interference's leading disposable pop fan. :wink:

corianderstem said:
Not to send up the Peterrrrr signal or anything

:lmao:

And yeah, totally agreed on Pride. Bono was completely right that they shouldn't have played it and the rest of the band never should have talked him into it. Popmart Pride was truly a low point, possibly the lowest, for live U2.

I wonder how many people agree with me about how Popmart pales in comparison to the tours right before and after it. I was there in person for like 12 shows, and, yeah, of course I enjoyed them. But it was a little too much spectacle for me, and I think early on on that tour was a low point for the band and for Bono's voice (and yes I know things were rushed at the beginning). I watched the Zoo TV DVD when it came out and was blown away by how amazing it was, I had forgotten.....watch the Paris DVD and it's sublime, to me....but I bought and watched Popmart, and, yeah, it just did not do it for me. :shrug:

I'm not really sure what you're saying, Axver. Are you likening LNOE to disposable pop? Or saying I have longer-lasting affairs with disposable pop songs?

Either way, as far as U2 songs go, I find it a little sub-par for a rocker, especially held up next to Gone on the album.

I don't hate it or anything, but at this moment in time in my life and spot within my musical tastes, I prefer Miami over LNOE. There. :wink:

I agree with you, NSW. At the time, it was only the second U2 show I'd been to, and being something like 15 rows from the stage, I was having the time of my freaking LIFE.

But the tour as a whole hasn't held up for me. There are a few bright spots (Pop Muzik/Mofo intro, which is a huge, dazzling bright spot), but overall I find it falls a little flat.

I blame a little of that on the big, giant spectacle of it all losing so much in the transition to VHS or DVD on a small screen.

Last edited:
My tour rankings:

1. Lovetown
2. JT Tour
3. War Tour
4. Vertigo
5. UF Tour
6. October Tour
7. Boy Tour
8. Popmart
9. ZooTV
10. Elevation, 1st and 2nd legs
125,154. Elevation, 3rd leg

Axver said:
My tour rankings:

1. Lovetown
2. JT Tour
3. War Tour
4. Vertigo
5. UF Tour
6. October Tour
7. Boy Tour
8. Popmart
9. ZooTV
10. Elevation, 1st and 2nd legs
125,154. Elevation, 3rd leg

Yeah, it's hard for me to see Popmart ahead of Zoo TV. But this is ALLSUBJECTIVEINALLCAPS. :)

corianderstem said:
I'm not really sure what you're saying, Axver. Are you likening LNOE to disposable pop? Or saying I have longer-lasting affairs with disposable pop songs?

I'm saying that:

1. It's catchy, so I'd have thought it'd be right up your alley.
2. It's got a much longer shelf life than the disposable pop you're not tired of. Or at least that's what I would've thought!

Personally, I've loved LNOE from the moment I first heard it. LNOE/Gone is one of the greatest runs of two songs on any U2 album. On the level of Acrobat/LIB or Heartland/God Part II for sheer quality.

I don't hate it or anything, but at this moment in time in my life and spot within my musical tastes, I prefer Miami over LNOE. There. :wink:

And you call my One hyperbole ridiculous? :wink:

Knowing my flip-flopping ways with even just one U2 song, I'm sure LNOE will eventually worm its way back into my good graces.

Oh, and catchy isn't everything! :wink:

I find Miami interesting. I used to hate it, but it grew on me. I still really hate that whole "my mammy" business because it's frickin' stupid and ridiculous, but I like the idea of the stream of consciouness, and I like the groove underneath all of that.

No spoken words said:
Yeah, it's hard for me to see Popmart ahead of Zoo TV. But this is ALLSUBJECTIVEINALLCAPS. :)

I consider them fairly on a par I suppose. I tend to favour the songs on Popmart though. And it didn't drag on forever.

Having snippet-checked pretty much every bootleg from both tours, I found my opinion of Popmart didn't change, while it markedly dropped for ZooTV.

In fact, for all the tours I've checked, after snippet-checking, my opinion on the UF Tour stayed the same, JT went slightly up, Lovetown couldn't go any further up, ZooTV went straight down, Popmart didn't change, Elevation 1st/2nd leg went slightly up, and Elevation 3rd leg abso-fucking-lutely plummeted.

I still cannot believe that I, as a 16 year old already die-hard U2 fan had my very first concert of any variety be on the JT Tour. That was just unreal and I'll never forget it.

Do you remember which show you saw, New South Wales? I'd be interested in seeing what kind of a set you got.

Miami. But I don't care if Playboy Mansion goes. They should actually both go first.

Axver said:
Do you remember which show you saw, New South Wales? I'd be interested in seeing what kind of a set you got.

I sure do:

May 15th, 1987. The night they fucked up Trip Through Your Wires a bit and so did it a 2nd time later on.

No spoken words said:

I sure do:

May 15th, 1987. The night they fucked up Trip Through Your Wires a bit and so did it a 2nd time later on.

Dang, you're lucky. TWO performances of Trip? My head would explode from the awesome. I don't even think U2 even remembers Trip anymore. :(

Most people on here hate Trip, no? I think it's ok. It was sort of funny to have them do it 2x, though.

Says Bono "I want to play Trip Through Your Wires Again I think we played it pretty shitty the first time". :)

Miami, very definitely. Playboy Mansion is no great song, but Miami is awful by U2 standards.

Now compared to Britney or Celine Dion, Miami's pretty damned good. <wink>

MIAAAAAAAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNGH MUTHAFUCKAS I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!!!!!!! IT'S MY MAMMY UNGH!!!!

I think it was a pretty good set list that night, by the way.

Streets
I Will Follow
Trip #1
People Get Ready
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
MLK
The Unforgettable Fire
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Exit
G-d's Country
Sunday Bloody Sunday