Rate the Song: White as Snow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WAS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Believe it or not, today we begin voting on our last round of album tracks, from the second half of No Line on the Horizon!

Please rate White as Snow on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

I love the instrumental break when the French horn comes in.

Love the change to the vocal line when he sings the "shoot out the stars" line.

Just love it.

Sorry guys, but this is definitely one my least favorites from the band. Still not sure how songs like One Step Closer get criticized for being "too slow" or a "yawnfest", yet somehow this becomes an exception. Even more confusing is how songs like Winter or Every Breaking Wave get left off in favor of this. For me, it's a 0 (and I haven't exactly given those out often either).

I find it beautiful and not boring. I like the lyrics, I like the instrumentation, I like the vocal.

I don't like the lyrics, the instrumentation or the vocal in One Step Closer. (Well, to be fair, the music isn't bad in that song. But like Grace, it doesn't make up for the things I dislike about it, so it remains in the "I don't like it" category.)

Ta-da!

Lovely little song. This has 7 written all over it for me.

Another good lyrical portrait, and the melody and instrumentation are pretty smooth...but again it's not anything where I'm going to be like "AHHHHHHHHHHH OMG OMG WHAT A SONG!"

And that's not what the band was going for with some of these moodier pieces on NLOTH but, yeah.

It's just kinda...nice.

Really really pretty song, it's a shame that they didn't include the equally beautiful Winter, would have been a much album.
Strange though that they needed to use the melody from another song though.
Really good.

It does balance on the line of being boring, but it is beautiful enough to keep it interesting. The french horns are really nice, and I love the vocals. I don't have a strong desire to hear a lot more of this kind of thing from them, but for what it is, it's pretty. 7

A competent, well-written folk number with a gorgeous intro and French horn break that bump this to an 8.

I just love how the guitar tone grows and then blossoms into that French horn part. It just expands in a gorgeous way.

Always loved this song, one of the most beautiful, maybe most experimental tracks on NLOTH. It's just something different, simple and great. Props for the French Horn and bass parts. 7.

Perhaps the one song from NLOTH that has grown on me the most. At first I really disliked it but now I love it and it's one of my favs from the album. Especially love it on snowy days. I love everything about it at the part where Bono sings "And the water/ It was icy/ As it washed over me/ And the moon shine/ Oh oh over me". 10.

I find it pretty average until the music comes alive. But, again, a direction I wish they'd been brave enough to follow through with a bit more. 7

it's a pretty song

but i don't dig the country vibe

at all

How do you get a "country" vibe out of it?

Yeah I don't even think it's close to country either. More folkish or rather a hymn.

bah i don't know, it's the first thing that popped into my head :D

maybe it's more folkish, but i'm English and when i think of folk i think of The Waterboys and they sound nothing like that

i thought it sounded like some kind of old-fashioned country, especially with the religious lyrics... hymn? yeah no wonder i don't like it lol

This is absolutely beautiful to my ears and i like the way the band seem to be branching out with the french horn and atmospherics though i am aware about the come come emanuele nod if i remember right.

I sometimes find this gives my emotions a real working over, it makes me think of the devastation and pain war can wreak and also of the power of regret, i see more than a few people dying and uttering their regrets beforehand in one of my job roles. Thats how it hits me anyway.

I never used to get into this song but now for me it's a 9

Back
Top Bottom