Rate the Song Series: Wild Irish Rose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate Wild Irish Rose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono visibly switching himself into falsetto mode at 4:12 cracks me up to no end.

Good song, 7.

TEN.

I've always championed this song. It's in my U2 top ten. Not giving this a proper release is quite possibly the greatest U2 failure ever.

Had to go back and listen to this one. It's seems more of a curio (along with 'Night and Day') in that it marks the bridge between 80s' U2 and 90s' U2. I really know nothing about this song. Can anyone tell me (a) who wrote it, (b) if Larry and Adam appear on it, and (c) when exactly it was recorded and 'filmed' (was it in 89 or 90)?

Solid tune, but nothing orgasmic. The only thing to really appreciate is the vocal, which is great -- although he does kind of "over-emote" a little, I would suggest (not quite to Whitney Houston levels though!). I would guess the reason this song was never released was because it sounds like an emotional, serious, old-Irish folk song, which was the sort-of image the band was trying to get away from at the turn of the decade.

TEN.

I've always championed this song. It's in my U2 top ten. Not giving this a proper release is quite possibly the greatest U2 failure ever.

Couldn't agree more, should have been released in some form or other.
At this point in their career, U2 could o not wrong, everything they touched turned to gold.

Had to go back and listen to this one. It's seems more of a curio (along with 'Night and Day') in that it marks the bridge between 80s' U2 and 90s' U2. I really know nothing about this song. Can anyone tell me (a) who wrote it, (b) if Larry and Adam appear on it, and (c) when exactly it was recorded and 'filmed' (was it in 89 or 90)?

Solid tune, but nothing orgasmic. The only thing to really appreciate is the vocal, which is great -- although he does kind of "over-emote" a little, I would suggest (not quite to Whitney Houston levels though!). I would guess the reason this song was never released was because it sounds like an emotional, serious, old-Irish folk song, which was the sort-of image the band was trying to get away from at the turn of the decade.

Bono wrote it. it was featured for an RTE/BBC programme on Irish music and how it influences the music of today, called Bringing it all back home I think. I don't think Adam and Larry appear on it and the other musician is called Donal Luney or something?? I think it was written for this programme, Bono tried to write a song in the vein of traditional Irish music, which this series was about.

It was around 1990, around the same time as another favourite of mine, Night and Day. My God they were so brilliant then!

Not to be anal about it, but I was specifically curious if this was done before the Lovetown tour (later 1989 to the start of 1990) or just after.... I suspect it would have been before it.

Not to be anal about it, but I was specifically curious if this was done before the Lovetown tour (later 1989 to the start of 1990) or just after.... I suspect it would have been before it.

I'm sure Axver will know for sure, but I think it was a little bit after, not by much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom