Rate The Song: MLK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MLK

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Time to rank the second half of The Unforgettable Fire!

Please rate MLK on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

Digitize, please replace my mark (10) with an 8. I thought I was doing Bad instead!

It's beautiful nonetheless and a great great closer.

Thanks.

Nice enough. Good closer but just like 4th of July it doesn't work by itself.

Judging the studio version, it's such a beautiful song. In my opinion, it was so overplayed on U2360, though. Giving it a 7.

ASOH - 10
Pride - 9
Wire - 8
TUF - 9
Promenade - 9
4th - 6
Bad - 8
ISS - 6
EPAA - 7
MLK - 6

God, this album slips badly in the second half. It needed those b-sides.

Peaceful, ambient song which ends the album on a perfectly quiet note. Wouldn't seek it out on its own but when listening to the album I let this one play in full. Gets an 8.

ASOH - 10
Pride - 9
Wire - 8
TUF - 9
Promenade - 9
4th - 6
Bad - 8
ISS - 6
EPAA - 7
MLK - 6

God, this album slips badly in the second half. It needed those b-sides.

While your comments on the second half of TUF are clearly misguided, you're correct about the b-sides. TUF era b-sides are among the bands best (along w/JT b-sides). The second disc in the 80/90 compilation is a U2 classic in and of itself and better than half their studio catalogue.

The last two songs really bring Unforgettable Fire down. Too bad, since there is a lot of greatness until Indian Summer Sky (which is a fun little song, just not up to par with most of the tracks that came before it).

djerdap said:
The last two songs really bring Unforgettable Fire down. Too bad, since there is a lot of greatness until Indian Summer Sky (which is a fun little song, just not up to par with most of the tracks that came before it).

Even with that, as it stands, Interference seems to think that the average song on TUF is almost a point better than on the next highest album (War).

That sounds a lot like you're trying to debate the undebatable.

Reconsider your position.

I enjoy the zenlike simplicity of MLK. It is not at all contrived, when it so easily could have been. I find the free flowing experimentation of the second half of TUF to be a satisfying counterpoint to the first half. The first half showcases bold, sweeping soundscapes whilst the second is much more abstract and minimal - like an artist displaying the range of their portfolio. A nice balance overall. Back to MLK, I'm going with 8.

Back
Top Bottom