Rate the Song: Love Is Blindness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LIB

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Now it is time to rate the second half of Achtung Baby.

Please rate Love Is Blindness on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

The closest thing on AB to mediocrity, this somber little closer never really delivers on the promise of the 11 tracks that come before it.

It's not bad, and I understand what U2 is trying to do here. They've definitely got the tone right, Bono's vocal is there, he's got it going lyrically, and the sound is absolutely haunting....but this one should work better than it does. They don't quite nail it, though it does feature a superb performance by The Edge. I usually feel like I could go either way on this one.

Easily U2's best album closer. Great lyrics and just great overal delivery by Bono. I love the sombre mood that the song brings forth. The live vesion is even better with the extended solo.

It was never a favorite of mine, though it has grown tremendously on me, and I can now appreciate it as a brilliant album closer. Tied with TTTYAATW as my least favorite track on Achtung Baby, but it doesn't suck at all.

Very dark and somber, but it was a perfect way to end my favorite U2 album. Bono's vocals are insane, in my opinion. Giving it an 8.

I used to think that only the live version deserves a 10 (everybody should listen to the Birmingham 1992 version), but the album version is also brilliant. The atmosphere is unique, as U2 rarely sounded as haunting and gloomy as here. Their best album closer.

I love the dark melancholy feel this song has to it. I've come to appreciate this song more recently and this is a really beautiful song. Great album ending. 9.

Studio: 7, possibly my least favorite besides TTTYAATW. It never really builds to much, and as much as I adore the lyrics, there's so little happening here that I can't award it a higher score than that. I see what they're going for, but they didn't quite achieve it in the studio.

Live: 9. Just about perfect. Edge really stepped it up from the well-meaning but not terribly engaging wank of a solo he pulls on AB. I think the back story is making people hear more behind that one than is actually there.

Easily U2's best album closer. Great lyrics and just great overal delivery by Bono. I love the sombre mood that the song brings forth. The live vesion is even better with the extended solo.

I agree, there best closer, definitely the best live closer too! Album closers are a U2 speciality, WUDM, MOTD, MLK, COL and The Wanderer are some of their best songs, even Shadows and Tall Trees is a big favourite of mine, so to rank higher than them shows how much I love LIB.

Great lyrics too;

"Love is blindness, I don't wanna see, won't you wrap the night around me"

is possibly my favourite Bono line ever.

Back
Top Bottom