Rate The Song: I Fall Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate The Song: I Fall Down

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Today, we shall begin rating the first half of October.

Please rate I Fall Down on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Also, if you have yet to do so, please vote in the still-opened polls for The Ocean, A Day Without Me, Another Time, Another Place, The Electric Co., and Shadows And Tall Trees.

Polls for Gloria, I Threw A Brick Through A Window, Rejoice, and Fire are now open as well.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours. Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate it; I hope you have a fantastic holiday.

Pretty much the second best track on October for me. Another great song from start to finish. I Fall Down gets a 8 from me.

I may be overrating this one, but an 8 seems fair when I love the verses as much as I do. They're haunting, moody and contrasted nicely by the dramatic chorus, which is lyrically awful but works in context.

Agree with all dudes, above. This one didn't really come off live, but that studio track is very nice. The keyboard part really adds a light, playful touch to it. The one advantage October has over Boy is that the sounds are more diverse -- keyboard and pipes and that. This track is a good example. It would be much more dull without the keyboard part. (Hence Bono had to try playing guitar, live.)

Anyway, good track. By the way, who is "Julie" and who was Bono singing about in this?

Nice piano riff, a refrain which would be echoed later in their career.
Sadly overlooked, perhaps it never quite made it live.
May have been a better single than Fire.

I immediately loved this song the second I heard it, mostly because of that piano riff which hooked me in. Great atmosphere, lyrics are crap, but I can at least relate to the title. I love the bridge in this too by the way. I'll give it a solid 8.

lyrics are crap
I'm sort of curious about this song's lyrics because I've never given them any attention whatsoever.

OK, this is what I Googled:

Julie says, "John I'm getting nowhere.
I wrote this letter. Hope to get to someplace soon.
I want to get up when I wake up,
but when I get up, I fall down."

Julie wake up, Julie tell the story.
You wrote the letter, said you were gonna get there someday.
Gonna walk in the sun, and the wind and the rain.
Never walk back again.

Now you fall down.
You're falling down.

Julie say something, Julie say you're sorry.
You're gonna get better.
You better not leave me here anyway.

I want to get up when you wake up.
When I get up, I fall down.
When I'm falling down, I fall down.
I broke myself.

(Ponder lyrics for a minute or two...)

Okay, I have no idea what inspired this. By the way, that "I broke myself" can't be right, is it?

What does it say in that Stories Behind Every Song book?

Bono breaking himself when he falls down isn't such a stretch, is it? And it's more relevant than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom