Question about The Edge on The Boston DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cutters10C

The Fly
Hey I hope this post is appropriate for this board I didn't know where else to put it. I was just wondering, on the Boston DVD at the end of Gone, when Edge throws his guitar down on the stage and kicks it, I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me why this happened, if they know? This may be old news but until this day I have always watched the DVD and wondered what this was about. Thanks to whoever answers.

the performace of the actual song on the DVD was from another night (June 7 or 8 or something). The footage of Edge throwing his gutiar down in a fit of glory was from June 6, i think, when Edge got mad beacuse Larry cut the song short, taking out Edge's solo. You can clearly see that the guitar Edge smashes is the Fireglo Rickenbaker, not the Black one. According to U2sound.com, the gutiar that Edge smashed still hasn't been fixed! (the neck was shattered or something)

DiscothequeLP's right about the reason. To correct the dates, the DVD is from 6 June but the guitar smashing is from 5 June.

I just watched the special 25 minute doco making of and near the end it shows the edge throwing his guitar and then shouting at larry right in his face and waving his arms.........................

Wait- then I'm confused. The show was recorded over two nights. Why include the Edge getting pissed if he didn't get pissed the other night? And assuming the Edge played the solo both nights, why not just include the solo from the night in which Larry didn't f-k up?

Miggy D said:
Why include the Edge getting pissed if he didn't get pissed the other night? And assuming the Edge played the solo both nights, why not just include the solo from the night in which Larry didn't f-k up?

They included the solo without the error. The only footage from the 5th is Edge wrecking the guitar, and I presume they included it because it makes for 'good', 'rock' footage.

From www.u2faqs.com:

23. Why is the Edge slamming his guitar to the ground at the end of "Gone" during the June 2001, Elevation Boston DVD?

During a web chat The Edge answered this question from a fan by saying "Because we murdered the song."

That night in Boston it was evident that The Edge was having trouble with his guitar. From the perspective of being in the crowd in the heart it appeared that The Edge was unhappy with Larry ending the song earlier than The Edge had planned. After the incident with the guitar The Edge could be seen having words with Larry over at the drum kit.

Artistic temperment.... :wink:

Axver said:

They included the solo without the error. The only footage from the 5th is Edge wrecking the guitar, and I presume they included it because it makes for 'good', 'rock' footage.

Yup, I think so too, for the "rock footage". The first time I watched it I did think it was just that, but then it really wouldn't make sense. I have never seen the band smash guitars, bite the heads off of bats, destroy equiptment, etc onstage.

I don't have my DVD here right now so maybe someone will know... I was told you can see Dallas in the "underworld" of the stage, jumping out of the way of the guitar after Gone. Anyone ever noticed this?

starsgoblue said:
23. Why is the Edge slamming his guitar to the ground at the end of "Gone" during the June 2001, Elevation Boston DVD?

During a web chat The Edge answered this question from a fan by saying "Because we murdered the song."

That night in Boston it was evident that The Edge was having trouble with his guitar. From the perspective of being in the crowd in the heart it appeared that The Edge was unhappy with Larry ending the song earlier than The Edge had planned. After the incident with the guitar The Edge could be seen having words with Larry over at the drum kit.

Artistic temperment.... :wink: [/B]

So....the Edge does do web chats.....not surprised he has turned up here. I heard Adam chats as well

Axver said:

Didn't they include lots of footage from both nights on this song? Edge's guitar switches from blue to red quite a few times.

I heard from some other people who were there, that Edge dropped his guitar pic, and wanted Larry to play softer/shorter, but Larry mistook it for longer, and that's why he got mad, cos he had to play the solo with his bare fingers, (which I told hurts like crazy).

Back
Top Bottom