Poor ol Lemon- what is up with it not being on the BO- thoughts/opinions???? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-02-2002, 07:15 PM   #1
Refugee
 
OzAurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,612
Local Time: 09:25 AM
Poor ol Lemon- what is up with it not being on the BO- thoughts/opinions????

now my first question I guess is how 100% for certain can we be that the information regarding the track lists for the Best Off are absolutely correct???? and if they are correct, why o why is Lemon no on there??? I really dont get it, the song is amazing, it ws a huge hit in most places ( I know it was in Australia) they played it live on the Zooropa shows, so heaps of people the world over have heard it live and now, now they dont put it on their Best Off, I simply dont get it????

I know that there has been much talka bout this in other threads but I thought it would be good to have one big discussion in one thread, so what do you all think?????
__________________

OzAurora is offline  
Old 09-02-2002, 07:22 PM   #2
War Child
 
walkon11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: California, USA
Posts: 664
Local Time: 03:25 PM
I love Lemon...but I'm happy with what we got. It's not a huge loss, then again every track on the "Best of" is great IMO...it is on the 2nd disc (in a remixed form), so it's sorta there.
__________________

walkon11 is offline  
Old 09-02-2002, 07:32 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
daisybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Posts: 8,577
Local Time: 05:25 PM
I got the list of tracks off of U2.com's site....

I'm guessing it's pretty official.....

but there is gonna be a remix of it on the Bsides
__________________
"....But all I ever hear from you is "
daisybean is offline  
Old 09-02-2002, 08:03 PM   #4
Acrobat
 
* MoFo *'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 373
Local Time: 11:25 PM
i was quite miffed about the exclusion of Lemon; i only hope this is the hidden track.

and why wasnt Holy Joe included on the b-side disc?
* MoFo * is offline  
Old 09-02-2002, 11:22 PM   #5
Acrobat
 
lady lemonade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: where the shhhreets have no name...
Posts: 492
Local Time: 05:25 PM

I dunno, still hoping it's gonnna turn up as a hidden track
lady lemonade is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 09:31 AM   #6
The Fly
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 266
Local Time: 10:25 PM
I suppose theres no chance of last-minute tracklisting changes? I too was dissappointed Lemon wasn't on the album, in fact "staggered" would be a better word, I thought it was a certain shoe-in! I mean its essential because is showcases the Macphisto persona as The Fly showcases well, The Fly persona. Put Lemon on U2!!!!!!
Whats The Story? is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 01:23 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,614
Local Time: 04:25 PM
My main beef with it not being on there isn't because, simply, I just really like the song, but because I really wanted everyone that's just gettin' into the band to hear the song. It's VERY different than their normal stuff, so yeah. It would show how diverse the group was. Also, as What's the Story stated, it would be kinda cool to see the juxtaposition of the two personas' songs (those being Macphisto's, "Lemon" and The Fly's, "The Fly").



That is all...

...and there was much rejoicing...
Catman is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 01:49 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
DrTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Q continuum
Posts: 4,770
Local Time: 11:25 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Australia (or Australasia) the only place where Lemon was actually released as a single? I know about the video and I can remember it being mildly popular on MTV Europe, but they never released it officially on cd-single did they?
DrTeeth is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 01:50 PM   #9
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,682
Local Time: 05:25 PM

__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 01:52 PM   #10
The Fly
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 266
Local Time: 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes


I share your pain!
Whats The Story? is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 01:58 PM   #11
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,682
Local Time: 05:25 PM

if they did this...

mysterious ways
last night on earth
lemon
hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me
staring at the sun
the fly
numb
beautiful day
one
who's gonna ride your wild horses
please
discotheque
miss sarajevo
even better than the real thing
elevation
electrical storm
the hands that built america

it should fit. and i'm sure it would please most fans a lot more than the current track listing.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 02:00 PM   #12
War Child
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Clare, Ireland
Posts: 647
Local Time: 10:25 PM
Yep, it shoulda been there! Much prefer it to Numb...ah well!
lazyboy is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 07:16 PM   #13
Refugee
 
OzAurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,612
Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Australia (or Australasia) the only place where Lemon was actually released as a single? I know about the video and I can remember it being mildly popular on MTV Europe, but they never released it officially on cd-single did they?
ok well maybe this explains it then- I remember Lemon being huge here- it was played all the time on radio and the clip was on like every video show all the time, but I guess that if it was only released here then I can see why it would not be on the best off- but hey maybe we will get it as an extra track on the Aussie release, but anyway I still think it would be a better choice than the first time
OzAurora is offline  
Old 09-04-2002, 11:24 AM   #14
War Child
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 613
Local Time: 10:25 PM

I Have to disagree with you guys on the subject of LEMON. I think its good that it was left off to leave room for "The First Time" which I think is a wonderful gem off Zooropa. Its sooo Brian Eno and maybe a little more accessible to the public. Lemon just didn't work as a single much like Wild Horses which is probably both of those songs were left off the complilation. They're good songs but don't belong in a "BEST OF" Genre.
tackleberry is offline  
Old 09-04-2002, 06:42 PM   #15
War Child
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 969
Local Time: 10:25 PM
That they would even THINK about leaving off Lemon just blows my mind.

-Lemon is an amazing, unique song. No band as huge as U2 would ever dare try anything that creative. The sounds, the falsetto, and the message behind the song all adds up to one incredible piece of music.

-Lemon is a brilliant video - one of U2's best ever. I would call it their best.

-Lemon was huge in the dance scene - I believe the song went to #1 on the dance charts? Regardless of the charting, it was very popular, even for not ever having been released as a single.

-Lemon became a sort of "anthem" for Mr. MacPhisto, the most creative thing Bono has ever done on stage.

-Lemon was the song played during the intermission of the Popmart tour, and it was THE most well-known thing about that entire tour! They came out of the lemon - even non-U2 fans knew that much!

-Lemon carried with the band even into the ATYCLB days as the teams playing each other in the video for "Stuck" were the Flys and the Lemons.

Leave Lemon off of the new "Best of" album? What a HUGE mistake. Lemon is probably the one song that could sum up the entire 1990's U2. Adding a remixed version to the b-sides disc not only buries one of U2's most amazing songs ever from the casual fan, but tries to conceal a huge part of what the band was all about during the decade of the 90's.
Zoocoustic is offline  
Old 09-04-2002, 06:57 PM   #16
Refugee
 
OzAurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,612
Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoocoustic
That they would even THINK about leaving off Lemon just blows my mind.

-Lemon is an amazing, unique song. No band as huge as U2 would ever dare try anything that creative. The sounds, the falsetto, and the message behind the song all adds up to one incredible piece of music.

-Lemon is a brilliant video - one of U2's best ever. I would call it their best.

-Lemon was huge in the dance scene - I believe the song went to #1 on the dance charts? Regardless of the charting, it was very popular, even for not ever having been released as a single.

-Lemon became a sort of "anthem" for Mr. MacPhisto, the most creative thing Bono has ever done on stage.

-Lemon was the song played during the intermission of the Popmart tour, and it was THE most well-known thing about that entire tour! They came out of the lemon - even non-U2 fans knew that much!

-Lemon carried with the band even into the ATYCLB days as the teams playing each other in the video for "Stuck" were the Flys and the Lemons.

Leave Lemon off of the new "Best of" album? What a HUGE mistake. Lemon is probably the one song that could sum up the entire 1990's U2. Adding a remixed version to the b-sides disc not only buries one of U2's most amazing songs ever from the casual fan, but tries to conceal a huge part of what the band was all about during the decade of the 90's.
that is so well said and the most excellent summation of the lemon situation that I have heard- I couldnt agree more
OzAurora is offline  
Old 10-13-2002, 06:03 AM   #17
The Fly
 
jvferrandiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 208
Local Time: 10:25 PM
Lemon is a good song, but that's all. i don't think it's any kind of anthem or something, i prefer the fly.
jvferrandiz is offline  
Old 10-13-2002, 03:54 PM   #18
Refugee
 
teehee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: drowning my sorrows
Posts: 1,166
Local Time: 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
if they did this...

mysterious ways
last night on earth
lemon
hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me
staring at the sun
the fly
numb
beautiful day
one
who's gonna ride your wild horses
please
discotheque
miss sarajevo
even better than the real thing
elevation
electrical storm
the hands that built america

it should fit. and i'm sure it would please most fans a lot more than the current track listing.
A best of is not for fans. It is made to people that doesn't have all their albums, I guess that's why the first two weeks they include B Sides, giving us an excuse to buy the compilation.

Lemon is a different song, and maybe, it's difficult to understand to people that is not into their music. Maybe that's why it is not in the compilation. What I don't understand is why The Fly is off the album. It's an amazing song, and not just that, it also symbolizes all the zootv era and for me, not including this song, is refusing to the whole meaning of zootv (superficiality, frivolity, egocentricity...).
teehee is offline  
Old 10-15-2002, 07:45 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Swan269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: HawkMoon
Posts: 3,695
Local Time: 06:25 PM

As Edge has told us about the Fly, maybe to the band "lemon" didn't stand the test of time. What that means, I don't really know.....does it mean that when they put the song on to listen to it they go "oh my god that was so 1991", or "that song sounds really tired to me..." etc. etc. I agree with everyone that both songs DEFINE U2 of the 90's. The band has their reasons for their choices but if I were to sit down with edge, I would ask him to go more in depth with the reasons........and one day I will!
Swan269 is offline  
Old 10-15-2002, 08:38 PM   #20
New Yorker
 
typhoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,020
Local Time: 04:25 PM
Dunno if this has been said or not, but why does "Hands" deserve a spot on the set? It's going to be on the Gangs of New York soundtrack soon enough, it isn't likely to fit in with the other material, and is crowding off more suitable songs like "Lemon." Aw well.
__________________

typhoon is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×